Anyone else love the Whitner late hit on Higgins?

Here's the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d...goryId=featured

Simpson whiffs, Whitner takes a bad angle as Higgins just blows by them. If Whitner closed faster, or Simpson reacted faster than he's tackled at the Raiders 35, not a TD. Higgins gets the benefit of Simpson clipping Whitner's foot to slow him up after Higgins ALREADY burned by both of them, but he's not fast enough to even get close enough when the guy starts jogging at the Bills 35. You don't have to be Usain Bolt to snag that bastard whose jogging. Whitner could have cost the game with that tackle, so I'm not happy at the time, but now I think it's awesome he tackled him, but really he's too slow in football speed for the secondary.

I burned my rose-colored glasses years ago. If Whitner closed faster or took a better angle he would have had him. That's reality.

I just replied to your earlier post, Whitner did take a bad angle...that was his ONLY mistake on that play, and one of the few he has made as a Bill. I don't know of any SS in the league that could have chased down Higgins, after he ran by.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: Weird I saw Higgins having a celebration dance about 1/12 of a second later in the end zone.

Nice that Whitner showed some toughness. Too bad he has no top gear.

Name me a SS that would have chased Higgins down from behind from where Whitner started chasing.

Wasn't Whitner's guy. Simpson got beat on a slant and Whitner was behind him.

Simpson took the wrong angle, for sure. He was much too 'flat' on the angle and got burned.

But I'm sure the mentally challenged portion of the nation knew that....right? :thumbsup:

Simpson took the wrong angle, for sure. He was much too 'flat' on the angle and got burned.

But I'm sure the mentally challenged portion of the nation knew that....right? :thumbsup:

Is that the same mentally challenged part that realize that Posluszny should've gotten just a little deeper on his drop and with that would've been better able to defend a pass in the deep middle?

Is that the same mentally challenged part that realize that Posluszny should've gotten just a little deeper on his drop and with that would've been better able to defend a pass in the deep middle?

Have you thought of a SS with world class speed, yet?

Here's the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d...goryId=featured

Simpson whiffs, Whitner takes a bad angle as Higgins just blows by them. If Whitner closed faster, or Simpson reacted faster than he's tackled at the Raiders 35, not a TD. Higgins gets the benefit of Simpson clipping Whitner's foot to slow him up after Higgins ALREADY burned by both of them, but he's not fast enough to even get close enough when the guy starts jogging at the Bills 35. You don't have to be Usain Bolt to snag that bastard whose jogging. Whitner could have cost the game with that tackle, so I'm not happy at the time, but now I think it's awesome he tackled him, but really he's too slow in football speed for the secondary.

I burned my rose-colored glasses years ago. If Whitner closed faster or took a better angle he would have had him. That's reality.

Higgins is a jackass. A fast one yes. When you're in the clear, just run to the end zone and save the dancing for your late nights when you're chasing tail.

Have you thought of a SS with world class speed, yet?

Have you thought of a strong safety who averages less than 2 passes defensed or less than 2 interceptions a year that is considered not a liability in coverage? You can't have 1 int and 1 Passes Defended (PD) in the last 2 years on your stat sheet and not be considered a liability in coverage. I know that doesn't fit the sentiment around here right now, but the guy is not good in coverage. Look at who was picked on in coverage the first 3 games for big passes. Hint: it's not our CBs.

Part of our D scheme is that the SS has to protect deep on some occasions. He lacks closing speed and intuition on the pass. Don't believe me, believe O-Cord who see this and exploit it. Believe the fact that no safety which is considered "good" has less than 8 PDs and a minimum of 2 INTs. The elite guys average 8-14 PDs and 2-5 INTs a year in a 16 game season, and there are exceptions like Sharper in 2002 who only had 2 PDs BUT he had 7 INTs.

I love his attitude, love his character, but he's a liability in the passing game.

Whitner perhaps the biggest statement of the year for this team...they are not taking that type of BS lightly, and will not tolerate that no matter who it is...

It is the same thing Josh Reed has shown on offense...they are not going to be intimidated, scared, or pushed around by ANYONE...

Whitner just gained the ultimate respect of everyone in that Stadium.

There you go.

Have you thought of a strong safety who averages less than 2 passes defensed or less than 2 interceptions a year that is considered not a liability in coverage? You can't have 1 int and 1 Passes Defended (PD) in the last 2 years on your stat sheet and not be considered a liability in coverage. I know that doesn't fit the sentiment around here right now, but the guy is not good in coverage. Look at who was picked on in coverage the first 3 games for big passes. Hint: it's not our CBs.

Part of our D scheme is that the SS has to protect deep on some occasions. He lacks closing speed and intuition on the pass. Don't believe me, believe O-Cord who see this and exploit it. Believe the fact that no safety which is considered "good" has less than 8 PDs and a minimum of 2 INTs. The elite guys average 8-14 PDs and 2-5 INTs a year in a 16 game season, and there are exceptions like Sharper in 2002 who only had 2 PDs BUT he had 7 INTs.

I love his attitude, love his character, but he's a liability in the passing game.

#1, you claimed he was too slow to catch Higgins. I conceed he took a bad angle. What Ss would have caught Higgins after he already had that distance between he and the SS.

#2 You don't understand Whitner's role in this defense, obviously. I suggest you go watch more football.

Since when does the number of passes defensed indicate how good someone is in coverage? What if he's covering people so tightly, they are barely throwing his way? What if he's playing the deep ball so well, that that's why we haven't seen one? Stroud didn't even have 1 tackle against Jacksonville, I guess he played poorly.

Poz is actually the one that blew the play. He was in position to make it and he just whiffed with his arm. He should have knocked the ball down.

Does anyone think that if Whitner didn't tackle him that the ref would have still called the taunting call on Higgins? I am not sure.

I think there is no chance. It was a little dance, and wasn't really even taunting. The taunt came on the play, itself. I'm not sure exactly what the official said, but I am convinced he threw the flag because of the Higgin's mugging as he was running in, and didn't want to penalize Donte for the hit.

Poz is actually the one that blew the play. He was in position to make it and he just whiffed with his arm. He should have knocked the ball down.

Does anyone think that if Whitner didn't tackle him that the ref would have still called the taunting call on Higgins? I am not sure.

No way taunting gets called there. I'm surprised they called it even with Whitner's hit. Maybe the refs dislike the showboating as much as we do?

I think there is no chance. It was a little dance, and wasn't really even taunting. The taunt came on the play, itself. I'm not sure exactly what the official said, but I am convinced he threw the flag because of the Higgin's mugging as he was running in, and didn't want to penalize Donte for the hit.

That's what I thought. That he allowed or covered up the penalty he had to call on Whitner.

Let's see, looking at the other team, we have Michael Huff who was a 4 year letterman in track at Texas. So, he's probably pretty fast. :thumbsup:

Huff has "world-class speed". Gibril Wilson is no slouch either.

FWIW, Donte Whitner's draft hype says that he has borderline world-class speed himself with a 4.40 40 yard time. Johnnie Lee Higgins posted a 4.48 40 time officially, but has run faster at other times (4.34, 4.38). And no, this wasn't exactly the first guy that has pull away from Whitner with apparent ease.

As far as what other players would have run after Higgins: unknowable. Most likely the vast majority of NFL defensive players would have run after him rather than turn at the 50 or 45 yard line and jog to the bench.

Not really what the NFL rules committee envisoned, I'm sure-- i.e., basically you can accept a penalty for taunting or pummel the guy and it's off-setting.