Schobel 33 Sacks Short Of 100. A Rare Milestone

Steely Dan

Schobel needs 33 sacks in 3 years to attain this goal  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How long til he hits 100 sacks?

• Easily within the three years.
    • Only two years will be needed
    • It will take more than 3 years.

We talk about Stroud, Poz, Lynch, JP and TE a lot more than we do about Schobel. He is on the road to reaching a milestone that only 8 players before him have ever achieved. He's definitely one of the best DE's in the league. So far this year he has only one sack but I think that will change as the year goes and he will hit his stride and finish with over 11 this year. Last year he didn't have anywhere close to the supporting cast he needed. He's going to be a force this year and the next few. :thumbsup:

Linkage

The Bills current top pass rusher has a chance of reaching 100 career sacks by the end of his 10th season. Schobel would have to average 11 sacks a year over the next three seasons counting this season to pull it off. With a defense that through the first two weeks of 2008 looks much improved the goal seems realistic.

And though after 10 seasons Smith had 116 sacks, if Schobel reaches the century mark in the same amount of time he’ll be only the eighth defensive end in league history to do so joining Smith with names like Reggie White and Michael Strahan.

Putting himself in that class with his play on the field would be the only way Schobel would want it.

Doesn't it seem premature to celebrate a milestone only 2/3 of the way there?

Considering how long it took Bruce to get the last couple he needed to ease by Reggie, I have to agree. A lot of things can happen between now and 100.

Doesn't it seem premature to celebrate a milestone only 2/3 of the way there?

I'm not celebrating a milestone. :thumbsup:

The point of this post is that right now he's on pace to be in a group of elite players and that I don't feel he gets the respect he deserves. I'm merely pointing out that this guy is an elite player and asking the fans if they think he can get there.

(In my best Norton) Sheeesh! Whatta Grouch!!

The point of this post is that right now he's on pace to be in a group of elite players and that I don't feel he gets the respect he deserves. I'm merely pointing out that this guy is an elite player and asking the fans if they think he can get there.

Your best Norton? As in the annoying morning radio show host on that garbage 96.9 FM? Was that a joke? Are you serious? I can't tell.

In other news I hear Trent Edwards is 227 Touchdowns shy of breaking Jim Kelly's franchise record.

Considering how long it took Bruce to get the last couple he needed to ease by Reggie, I have to agree. A lot of things can happen between now and 100.

Bruce was 40 years old when he was trying to get those last two. Schobel is 31 and I think it's attainable at that age.

Bruce was 40 years old when he was trying to get those last two. Schobel is 31 and I think it's attainable at that age.

No. He's only going to be a starter for probably 2 or 3 seasons. Lori's argument is that as he fades from his prime, he no longer puts up 7-10 sacks a year but closer to 2.5 or 3, thus making it pretty much impossible to catch.

In my opinion he's already spiraling downward.

Your best Norton? As in the annoying morning radio show host on that garbage 96.9 FM? Was that a joke? Are you serious? I can't tell.

In other news I hear Trent Edwards is 227 Touchdowns shy of breaking Jim Kelly's franchise record.

:thumbsup::beer:

If you don't see the difference there then I can't help you.

Ed Norton

Famous Honeymooners character. You must be very young. WGR runs them on Sunday nights at 9pm they're hysterical. Check them out. B-)

:thumbsup::beer:

If you don't see the difference there then I can't help you.

Ed Norton

Famous Honeymooners character. You must be very young. WGR runs them on Sunday nights at 9pm they're hysterical. Check them out. B-)

Sorry, the only Ed Norton actor I know is the one who actually gets nominated for oscars....

No. He's only going to be a starter for probably 2 or 3 seasons. Lori's argument is that as he fades from his prime, he no longer puts up 7-10 sacks a year but closer to 2.5 or 3, thus making it pretty much impossible to catch.

In three years he'll be 34 and I don't think that's ancient in this league for a guy like Schobel. It's easy to believe he's spiraling downward based on last year but just like Lee last year it's an aberration. He also has playing in a 4-3 going for him.

He's certainly well respected amongst his peers, but he is indeed a little underrated.

I'm not so sure he'll even get to 100, it is no small feat. At age 31 he may start to slow down a bit. But he is known to get sacks in bunches, and with Stroud anchoring the middle, he should still be very procuctive.

I'm pulling for him, but I won't start getting excited about it until he hits the 90 mark.

if that is what you're after you should have given people the option to vote that he won't get to 100

i voted over 3 years, but i'm not overly confident he gets there..........he needs a big '08 and '09 to keep it achievable, and injuries are a wildcard (he's been very fortunate throughout his career)

Elite players don't spend most of the plays in the prime of their careers getting pushed around and being non-factors. Occasionally he sneaks in there for a sack---he has a knack for it. He is too often a non-factor to be considered Elite. He is not even close to deserving that of category.

Hell, I think he might get 2-3 sacks on Favre alone in two games this year.

The impressive thing to me in Chris Brown's article is that, at this point in Schobel's career, he's only 11 sacks behind where Bruce was at the same point. On what looks to be a greatly improved defense why shouldn't he maintain double digit sacks for several more years?

The impressive thing to me in Chris Brown's article is that, at this point in Schobel's career, he's only 11 sacks behind where Bruce was at the point. On what looks to be a greatly improved defense why shouldn't he maintain double digit sacks for several more years?

Did you just try to compare Bruce Smith to Aaron Schobel?

Close your laptop, and walk away from the computer.

if that is what you're after you should have given people the option to vote that he won't get to 100

i voted over 3 years, but i'm not overly confident he gets there..........he needs a big '08 and '09 to keep it achievable, and injuries are a wildcard (he's been very fortunate throughout his career)

Gee, I'm a Bills fan and believe in Schobel, that's weird. :(

The impressive thing to me in Chris Brown's article is that, at this point in Schobel's career, he's only 11 sacks behind where Bruce was at the point. On what looks to be a greatly improved defense why shouldn't he maintain double digit sacks for several more years?

Thank You!

The impressive thing to me in Chris Brown's article is that, at this point in Schobel's career, he's only 11 sacks behind where Bruce was at the point.

Unless my math is screwed up, I have Bruce at 92 sacks after 8 seasons. In the same number of seasons, Schobel has 68 sacks. Looks like a difference of 24, not 11.

Unless my math is screwed up, I have Bruce at 92 sacks after 8 seasons. In the same number of seasons, Schobel has 68 sacks. Looks like a difference of 24, not 11.

Chris Brown compares their numbers after seven seasons:

"After seven seasons Schobel is only 11 sacks off Smith’s pace."

Schobel was drafted in '01 I think, so he is only two games into his eighth season.

I don't think anyone is equating him to Bruce Smith, only to show by way of comparison that he's a damn good football player who, had he been on better teams throughout his career, might have gotten a little more love.