Trent Edwards was injury prone

Simon

i actually think he's tough as nails. playing behind the horrible stanford line like he did for years most guys wouldnt be upright by now

He's not tough as nails. Jim Kelly was tough as nails, but hey... even he got hurt every once and a while.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has nothing to do with JP, sorry. I don't think Trent outplayed either Eli or Anderson in those games. I wanted him to. I rooted like hell for him to.

It's not a matter of stats, either, or of who won the game. An incompletion is an incompletion in the stats. But, Trent's passes were way off the mark, compared to the other two QBs (who were off the mark, as well).

Simply put, Edwards looked almost...I don't know...confused, might be the best way to put it. I thought it was "scared", at the time. Looking back, though, I think it was simply an inability to comprehend the havoc that kind of weather can play with the football. I wish he would have stayed through the winter to get the feel of the weather and throw hundreds of passes in the snow, rain and wind, simply to get the feel of it. He didn't. I don't think that is a disaster, or anything and judging by how he came back, it is clear that he was working hard in the offseason.

So, I expect Trent to be better in the bad weather this year, but I won't know he will be, until I see it. In the first game against Seattle, Trent wasn't too hot when the weather was real bad, early. As the weather got a little better, so did Trent. That may be simply coincidental, as it was the first game of the season, and Trent didn't really get any preseason work.

So, we shall see. I hope he has a chance to get his feet wet, before getting a real bad storm during a big game. I also hope he gives it a shot w/o the gloves, this year.

Dean,

I respect alot of stuff you say but the one thing that throws this arguement out the window the Cleveland & the Giants game was not just bad weather, it was probably the two worst weather games the bills have played in since I have been watching them(1984). I know being down in Florida for so many years, you probably have forgot what it could be like here in the winter time. If Cleveland had any weather like it was in buffalo that day, which by all indications they did, I am surprised either one of them could complete a pass. I was shoveling my driveway that morning & I was throwing the football around with my 4 year that day of the Cleveland game, the one ball I threw the wind gust caught it & actually blew it back behind me 10yrds. That is how bad the wind was that day. No qb is going to look good. The giants game, before the monsoon came, Edwards threw 2 td passes. The monsoons came, the wind picked up & neither qb could do anything. Manning did not even try, since they were running the ball so well. Edwards after his first INT return for a td, which should of been caught by evans but richochede off him right into a gman defender, was force to throw after that. If manning was forced to throw he would of had the same results.

My point is, you guys are trying to take 2 of the worst weather games in the history of buffalo bills football & take that as an example to claim Edwards can not play in bad weather. Why doesn't anybody mention the Miami game last year where he threw for 4tds in the snow including a beautifull pass to Evans for a td.

Dean,

I respect alot of stuff you say but the one thing that throws this arguement out the window the Cleveland & the Giants game was not just bad weather, it was probably the two worst weather games the bills have played in since I have been watching them(1984). I know being down in Florida for so many years, you probably have forgot what it could be like here in the winter time. If Cleveland had any weather like it was in buffalo that day, which by all indications they did, I am surprised either one of them could complete a pass. I was shoveling my driveway that morning & I was throwing the football around with my 4 year that day of the Cleveland game, the one ball I threw the wind gust caught it & actually blew it back behind me 10yrds. That is how bad the wind was that day. No qb is going to look good. The giants game, before the monsoon came, Edwards threw 2 td passes. The monsoons came, the wind picked up & neither qb could do anything. Manning did not even try, since they were running the ball so well. Edwards after his first INT return for a td, which should of been caught by evans but richochede off him right into a gman defender, was force to throw after that. If manning was forced to throw he would of had the same results.

My point is, you guys are trying to take 2 of the worst weather games in the history of buffalo bills football & take that as an example to claim Edwards can not play in bad weather. Why doesn't anybody mention the Miami game last year where he threw for 4tds in the snow including a beautifull pass to Evans for a td.

Trent was outplayed in those two games, & looked terrible the 1st half of the 1st game this year. I can't believe you think any different.

Trent was outplayed in those two games, & looked terrible the 1st half of the 1st game this year. I can't believe you think any different.

He was not outplayed by either one of those qbs. Their running games & our lack of a running game & our lack of run stuffing defense won those games for them. & Besides, Anderson & Manning are both veterans. Shouldn't they have outplayed a guy that was making his 6th career start?

This year is different, I do not think we are going to be sittting here after games to many times saying our Qb got outplayed this game or our QB cost us the game, unless of course Edwards gets hurt & Losman has to play.

He was not outplayed by either one of those qbs. Their running games & our lack of a running game & our lack of run stuffing defense won those games for them. & Besides, Anderson & Manning are both veterans. Shouldn't they have outplayed a guy that was making his 6th career start?

This year is different, I do not think we are going to be sittting here after games to many times saying our Qb got outplayed this game or our QB cost us the game, unless of course Edwards gets hurt & Losman has to play.

Gordio, you just don't know what you're talking about here. Let's look at the numbers:

Manning - 7/15 134 yds 0 TDs, 2 INTs

Edwards - 9/26 161 yds 2 TDs, 3 INTs

Giants - 289 yards rushing

Bills - 117 yards rushing

Anderson - 9/24 137 yds 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Edwards - 13/33 124 yds 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Browns - 174 yards rushing

Clearly, quarterbacking was the difference in the two games. Manning and Anderson definately WON those games for their teams while Edwards obviously LOST the games for us. Time to get a clue, Gordio.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I guess on this one, we will just disagree. I know the conditions were bad, very bad. I also know that Anderson (let's face it, no Marino) was more composed and sharper with his passes. Yes, they weren't complete, either but he looked to be more in control, in my eyes. Anderson also out passed Trent (137-124) in NINE fewer attempts. I'm certainly not saying Anderson played well, or that many QBs would have. It was more the way they looked and played, at least to me. I just used the stats to show they support my feeling...but, not by a lot.

(Of course, the real goat in this game, was Fairchild, as usual.)

I don't think it was as close, against Manning and the Giants. As you noted, Manning rarely had to throw, but when he did, he completed nearly 50% of his passes (7/15) in that weather. But Trent did throw a couple TD passes (to go with his 3 INTs). Not sure the stats support me in this game, but I think, for the second straight week, Trent looked lost in bad (yes, REALLY BAD) weather.

"Shouldn't they have outplayed a guy that was making his 6th career start?" Of course. But that doesn't help me know whether Trent will play well in bad weather (even normal bad Buffalo weather), because I have yet to see it.

I agree. I think that is due both to Trent's improved play and the improvement of the O and D. Plus, I believe (at least hope) that Turk will handle the offense so that, in games where Trent is not at his best (or the weather is the story) the game won't be decided by the play of the QB.

With that said, I still have to see Trent play well in bad weather, Buffalo weather, before I'm totally comfortable with him leading this team down the stretch.

Clearly, quarterbacking was the difference in the two games. Manning and Anderson definately WON those games for their teams while Edwards obviously LOST the games for us. Time to get a clue, Gordio.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe I missed it, but was the point ever that Trent lost the game? Certainly wasn't my point.

Ok He wasnt outplayed but he does still play in buffalo, sooner or later he is going to have to play in that weather when it counts. We could have a home playoff game this year, the weather could be sh-------, is Trent ready to lead us then?

Its a valid concern for many fans and something that should be discussed as Dean said before i wanted to hear he was throwing in bad weather here in the offseason and maybe he did i dont know but i just dont want that to be a decider of a game especially if we are the better team

Maybe I missed it, but was the point ever that Trent lost the game? Certainly wasn't my point.

Of course not, Dean. It was clearly someone else's point in the thread. And perhaps thousands of other threads as well. My response was not to any of your posts/thoughts on the matter.

GO BILLS!!!

Of course not, Dean. It was clearly someone else's point in the thread. And perhaps thousands of other threads as well. My response was not to any of your posts/thoughts on the matter.

GO BILLS!!!

Gotcha. Thanks

Gordio, you just don't know what you're talking about here. Let's look at the numbers:

Manning - 7/15 134 yds 0 TDs, 2 INTs

Edwards - 9/26 161 yds 2 TDs, 3 INTs

Giants - 289 yards rushing

Anderson - 9/24 137 yds 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Edwards - 13/33 124 yds 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Browns - 174 yards rushing

GO BILLS!!!

I agree that Edwards was slightly outplayed in each of these games.

But is it me, or do the numbers not reflect the point you're trying to make? In what world is 9/24, 137 yards drastically better than 13/33, 124 yards? And the fact that the Bills were outrushed in both games only furthers the idea that Edwards played as well as those guys, because he had a lesser running game backing him.

The same goes for the numbers in the Giants game. Since when is 7/15, 134 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs, soooo much better than 9/26, 161 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs?

It seems to me all four performances were pretty close to each other (in other words, equally lousy). Edwards may have been slightly outplayed, but I could never say from those numbers Eli and Anderson played well, and Edwards played poorly. Those numbers put them close enough that you'd have to group all four performances together.

Then again, its not all in the numbers. Just playing devil's advocate to this particular post.

I agree that Edwards was slightly outplayed in each of these games.

But is it me, or do the numbers not reflect the point you're trying to make? In what world is 9/24, 137 yards drastically better than 13/33, 124 yards? And the fact that the Bills were outrushed in both games only furthers the idea that Edwards played as well as those guys, because he had a lesser running game backing him.

The same goes for the numbers in the Giants game. Since when is 7/15, 134 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs, soooo much better than 9/26, 161 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs?

It seems to me all four performances were pretty close to each other (in other words, equally lousy). Edwards may have been slightly outplayed, but I could never say from those numbers Eli and Anderson played well, and Edwards played poorly. Those numbers put them close enough that you'd have to group all four performances together.

Then again, its not all in the numbers. Just playing devil's advocate to this particular post.

The sarcasm button was cleary ON when I made that post to Gordio. My post is more in response to a certain poster who clearly thinks Edwards can't play in bad weather, says Peyton Manning won a SB playing in weather as bad as ANY that Edwards has played in, and points to the Giants/Browns games of last year as clear examples of how badly Edwards was outplayed in bad weather by the opposing teams' QBs. It's been an ongoing debate in zillions of threads with the same poster.

Here's something for all the other "TE can't play in bad weather" fans to consider: it's far more important that we can RUN the damn ball and STOP the damn run in bad weather than pass in it. While that's painfully obvious to anyone who has a clue it's lost on many. Especially to those who point to the Giants/Browns games of last year. The rushing totals tell the entire story.

GO BILLS!!!

The sarcasm button was cleary ON when I made that post to Gordio. My post is more in response to a certain poster who clearly thinks Edwards can't play in bad weather, says Peyton Manning won a SB playing in weather as bad as ANY that Edwards has played in, and points to the Giants/Browns games of last year as clear examples of how badly Edwards was outplayed in bad weather by the opposing teams' QBs. It's been an ongoing debate in zillions of threads with the same poster.

Here's something for all the other "TE can't play in bad weather" fans to consider: it's far more important that we can RUN the damn ball and STOP the damn run in bad weather than pass in it. While that's painfully obvious to anyone who has a clue it's lost on many. Especially to those who point to the Giants/Browns games of last year. The rushing totals tell the entire story.

GO BILLS!!!

In the zillions of threads we debated,I was only trying to make the same point Dean made in post #46. I'm glad Dean finally got through to you what my point was. I'm not saying Trent can't learn to play in bad weather, but he needs to.

In the zillions of threads we debated,I was only trying to make the same point Dean made in post #46. I'm glad Dean finally got through to you what my point was. I'm not saying Trent can't learn to play in bad weather, but he needs to.

Well, Fl, I'm sorry to disappoint you again, but Dean didn't get your point through to me at all. Other than the part where Dean agrees with you that he's yet to see TE play well in bad weather (whatever that is), your posts on the matter couldn't be more disparate. Were you REALLY trying to make the same point as Dean? You flat out said that Edwards LOST the Giants/Browns games last year becaue he couldn't play in bad weather. That's a far cry from what Dean said. I won't mention the other stuff you came up with to bolster your point (i.e. P Manning playing that SB in as bad weather conditions as TE has ever played in). Suffice to say that while you are fretting about his ability to play in bad weather (whatever that is), I am not.

As I've said countless times, far better QBs than Edwards have looked terrible at the Ralph on certain bad weather days. Even our own Jim Kelly. Sometimes you just can't pass the ball at the Ralph. That simple. Doesn't matter if you 'know' how to play in bad weather or not, the elements can render the passing and kicking games useless. Seen it too many times.

Lets just agree to disagree and hope Trent continues to develop. Just don't pull your hair out when he flat out has a crap day in beautiful weather (which is bound to happen), too.

Peace.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest dog14787
Well, Fl, I'm sorry to disappoint you again, but Dean didn't get your point through to me at all. Other than the part where Dean agrees with you that he's yet to see TE play well in bad weather (whatever that is), your posts on the matter couldn't be more disparate. Were you REALLY trying to make the same point as Dean? You flat out said that Edwards LOST the Giants/Browns games last year becaue he couldn't play in bad weather. That's a far cry from what Dean said. I won't mention the other stuff you came up with to bolster your point (i.e. P Manning playing that SB in as bad weather conditions as TE has ever played in). Suffice to say that while you are fretting about his ability to play in bad weather (whatever that is), I am not.

As I've said countless times, far better QBs than Edwards have looked terrible at the Ralph on certain bad weather days. Even our own Jim Kelly. Sometimes you just can't pass the ball at the Ralph. That simple. Doesn't matter if you 'know' how to play in bad weather or not, the elements can render the passing and kicking games useless. Seen it too many times.

Lets just agree to disagree and hope Trent continues to develop. Just don't pull your hair out when he flat out has a crap day in beautiful weather (which is bound to happen), too.

Peace.

GO BILLS!!!

Dome, Da, Dome, Dome

Dome, Da, Dome, Dome, Dome

TE/ mittens :wallbash:

Ok He wasnt outplayed but he does still play in buffalo, sooner or later he is going to have to play in that weather when it counts. We could have a home playoff game this year, the weather could be sh-------, is Trent ready to lead us then?

Its a valid concern for many fans and something that should be discussed as Dean said before i wanted to hear he was throwing in bad weather here in the offseason and maybe he did i dont know but i just dont want that to be a decider of a game especially if we are the better team

Rack him.

Dome, Da, Dome, Dome

Dome, Da, Dome, Dome, Dome

TE/ mittens :wallbash:

Just stop with the dome crap. This is frigging Buffalo. We don't need no stinking domes.

Hell, they should get rid of the field house and practice bubble. If the players can't hack it in the cold, then trade their azzes to Arizona. We don't need 'em.

Guest dog14787
Rack him.

Just stop with the dome crap. This is frigging Buffalo. We don't need no stinking domes.

Hell, they should get rid of the field house and practice bubble. If the players can't hack it in the cold, then trade their azzes to Arizona. We don't need 'em.

Everyone and there mother talks about how bad it is to throw the ball at the Ralph. All this crap about football being strictly an outside sport is BS, some places have bad weather allot durring football season and we are one of the places. Hell, why not play outside in Alaska.

From an economic standpoint, from a team stanpoint, and from a fan being comfortable standpoint, a dome makes sense.

This just in Buddy, we are not the Da Bears, and we have a QB that struggles in bad weather, so trade him is your answer, geeesh :wallbash:

Everyone and there mother talks about how bad it is to throw the ball at the Ralph. All this crap about football being strictly an outside sport is BS, some places have bad weather allot durring football season and we are one of the places. Hell, why not play outside in Alaska.

From an economic standpoint, from a team stanpoint, and from a fan being comfortable standpoint, a dome makes sense.

This just in Buddy, we are not the Da Bears, and we have a QB that struggles in bad weather, so trade him is your answer, geeesh :wallbash:

Nice try at hyperbole, but we don't play in Alaska. We're also not the Bears - THANK GOD.

The economic standpoint stuff matters not. Buffalo IS NOT getting a Super Bowl, dome or no dome.

Most fans can handle sitting in the snow and cold for three hours. Maybe some princesses can't, but that's no reason to build a dome. I also don't care how hard some people's mothers think it is to throw in RWS. If they're not lining up under center, I couldn't care less about their opinion.

Players and fans have to be tough to hack it in Orchard Park in November - January. So if a player can't hack it in a home playoff game in January, get rid of him.