Trent Edwards was injury prone

Simon

QB is such a strange position, its hard to say if somebody is "prone" to injuries or not. Somebody like our boy Robbie Johnson, I'd say most definitely injury prone. Trent? Not sure.

The O-line should help him avoid hits. The way Trent moves within the pocket should help too. You can tell he's getting a better feel for what needs to be done in that respect, especially on the 37-yard gain to Evans in the 4th qtr. He stepped up, almost had his jersey grabbed by the DE, and shook loose and let fly. I can only imagine JP feeling that pressure and turning into a spaz, spinning around and getting sacked for -7.

However, at QB, having someone hit you low, or a lineman roll on your ankle, or breaking your finger on somebody's helmet on a follow thru, all of those things happen all the time, and it doesn't much matter if you are "injury prone" or not.

In response to the original question, Trent's fitness can only help him. But as far as the freak QB injuries I mentioned above...A 4% body fat isn't going to do much for anyone. It makes Favre's streak all the more impressive.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're wasting your time, Gordio. Here's a direct quote from a USA Today SB follow-up story on 2/5/07:

"Officially, less than a half-inch of rain fell throughout the day. Yet the persistent drizzle, combined with northeast winds that gusted to 21 mph, made the Super Bowl soggy and sloppy."

Yep. That description sounds just like the conditions against the Giants and Browns last year. The weather against the Giants was so much like that in Miami that Eli didn't even pass in the 2nd half. Oh, and a 1/2 inch of rain fell in less than 30 minutes in that storm with wind gusts over 40 mph. As for the Cleveland game, yeah, the Colts were lucky they didn't have to play in one of Miami's famous lake-effect blizzards.

GO BILLS!!!

I know I'm wasting my time because you & Gordo & a FEW others WORSHIP Trent the ALLMIGHTY, that said, the reason Eli didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half is HE DIDN'T HAVE TO thanks to Trent putting 14 on the board for the GIANTS. It's called game management, & Eli & his OC Kevin did a much better job of it than Trent & his OC Steve. In the Browns game Anderson looked MUCH better than Trent, throwing MANY nice passes, winning the game unlike Trent. Face the fact Trent so far has not learned to play in bad weather.

Ohhhhhhh Steely call Simon DICK and swear at Simon. Simon very dirty player. Payback for Steely will be B word.

I stand by my comments! He jinxed him!! :(:lol::lol:

WHAT!!!!! I cant believe yall would talk about trent being injury prone. Everyone knock on some wood please.

A more diplomatic way of saying the same thing. :thumbsup:

Trent's commitment to some offseason conditioning has certainly paid dividends on the field. He looks stronger, leaner and sharper than he did last year. But is the on-field benefit the only dividend it will pay? I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere but I submit that his newfound commitment to conditioning will also increase his durability in two ways; 1) it will improve his ability to avoid potentially damaging situations (i.e. getting rolled up on, not being able to extricate himself from traffic, etc) and 2) the increased muscle mass will also help protect joints and ligaments at the times he does get bounced around.

Any docs or trainers on board who'd care to comment on this hypotheseis?

Lets wait til he gets hit more than twice to say if is or isnt. I hope not because he is looking like the real deal

I know I'm wasting my time because you & Gordo & a FEW others WORSHIP Trent the ALLMIGHTY, that said, the reason Eli didn't throw a pass in the 2nd half is HE DIDN'T HAVE TO thanks to Trent putting 14 on the board for the GIANTS. It's called game management, & Eli & his OC Kevin did a much better job of it than Trent & his OC Steve. In the Browns game Anderson looked MUCH better than Trent, throwing MANY nice passes, winning the game unlike Trent. Face the fact Trent so far has not learned to play in bad weather.

Ah, the old "you worship Trent" argument. Save that for those that do. I've never had any illusions about him, especially as a rookie. I fully expect him to make some of the most boneheaded decisions, miss open receivers, audible into the wrong play, and generally fu*k up from time to time in his second year as well.

When you can bring some facts to back your argument instead of the outlandish claim that Peyton Manning played that SB in weather as bad as any Edwards has faced perhaps I'd afford you some more credibility.

When you can show me a bad weather game that Edwards played in where the opposing QB ALSO didn't struggle just as badly, I just might take you seriously. Your claim that Anderson played far better in the Browns game is ludicrous. You make it sound like he won the game for them. They won IN SPITE of Anderson's pathetic performance. Or was I hallucinating when I saw Jamal Lewis run for more than a buck fifty?

When you can admit that far better QBs than Edwards have looked utterly hapless at times against the elements at the Ralph over the years I might give you some credit for actually knowing what you're talking about regarding the issue.

As I've tried to explain to you in the past, I'm far more concerned about Edwards developing as a QB. You seem hell bent on him developing only as a passer. I'm not sure you appreciate the distinction. If you can't you know less about QB play than even the most casual fans.

GO BILLS!!!

This is just nonsense. Forget about stats except for W's & L's, Trent was outplayed in EVERY bad weather game so far - HE LOST THEM ALL. And don't tell me QB's can't play well in bad weather, I'm sure you saw the Super Bowl Payton Manning won. That weather was as bad as any Trent has played in.

He wasn't outplayed in the Miami romp-In Bad Weather, so you're wrong, he didn't lose them all. Also the 2 ridiculous weather games you site were against better TEAMS. One of them was the Super Bowl Champion. You have no basis other than parroting some idiots on WGR who start this garbage. The Super Bowl Manning won wasn't in a blizzard or a monsoon, so get some facts, will you. I'm sure the weather against Miami was worse than Manning's Super Bowl, but you forget that game because it doesn't fit your theory. Similar to forgetting JP's W/L record in ALL WEATHER.

Strengthening muscle groups around joints will help stabilize joints if you have lax ligaments to begin with. This is why double jointed people hurt themselves often, because their ligaments are loose and strain easily. Building up muscles will compensate for the loose ligaments. So, yes, strengthening the muscles around the joints will help.

However, this will not help for other types of injuries. And I can't exactly detail every injury Trent has sustained in his career. However, his last one, a thigh bruise (if that was really the case) would not have been prevented by extra muscle mass.

It is too early to tell this season if he has shaken the injury bug.

Right on target IMHO. Its simply way too early to tell if the marginal improvement which Trent has made through his hard work this off-season is gonna be large or is gonna be small.

I for one am just pleased as punch that he has shown the commitment to make this effort and produce results which depending upon what happens may be large or may be small.

The irony here in this ultimate team game is going to be that the adding of muscle mass and flexibility which may well make the most difference in whether Edwards proves to be injury prone or not is actually likely going to be how Walker/Butler/Fowler/Dockery/Peters and assorted blitz-pick-up meisters condition themselves.

If some equivalent of Mo Lewis gets a clean shot at him for some reason regardless of his muscle mass numbers or how bendy he is his lung can get collapsed.

Overall, i would actually disagree with the initial premise of Simon's first post in this thread. I would disagree with labeling Edwards as injury prone.

i do not think there is any officially or widely accepted definition of this term of art.

To me, I give the label based on the real world record of injury produced by a player in the NFL game. NFL training and conditioning by what I have seen is so superior to what goes on in college (even at pro like programs such as the one at Stanford) that there simply is not a useful comparison between the two.

I think a player is correctly labeled as injury prone when he repetitively misses games (and in some cases serious practice time might be considered equivalent to missing actual PT) due to a series of injuries to different parts of his body.

RJ struck me as being injury prone because he continually kept coming down with a series of different bumps, bruises and separations which were bad enough to cost him playing time. The thing which he was prone to was that any specific hit seemed to lead to him having an injury to some part of his body which cost him PT. One week it was a separated collar bone, the next week a concussion, and then a couple of weeks after that it would be some muscle tear or pull.

He would recover fine and when he came back he would throw some brilliant TD pass. However, I felt he was prone to have some type of time-costing injury from every hard hit.

Jonas Jennings also struck me as injury prone. He was a very good player and was judged good enough by SF they rewarded him with a huge FA deal. Still I was quite happy the Bills did not open the vault for him despite the fact our OL was in very bad shape because as a Bill he had never started all 16 games. Even worse, one of the reasons he would only be able to start 14 games was that in about 1/4 of every game he started he would end up getting helped off the field and someone else had to finish because he was hit with a muscle tear, a shoulder joint strain, post concussive reactions, etc.

I was not shocked at all when within a couple of regular season games for SF on to the IR he went with a different serious injury than he had before.

Some players suffer recurring injuries to a specific part of their body. Jim Kelly had a recurring bursa sac problem which knocked him out of a couple of games and he had another injury which saw Frank Reich have to come in for 3 starts in the regular season and also have to start for Kelly in the Greatest Game Ever Player (hit echo chamber and here grand music in the background when you read this). However, as this was a specific problem one could pad him up and shoot him full of cortisone to deal with this specific problem. He has had the individual intestinal fortitude that despite this injury he would play through it.

RJ and Jenning were injury prone IMHO because they showed a tendency to be hurt in different parts of their body and because they were not strong enough or stupid enough to simply play through the pain and compensate for any physical limitations from the injury.

Thurman Thomas suffered a serious injury in college but he showed no signs over his career of being injury prone like a lesser player like RJ or Jennings.

IMHO it is simply too early for Edwards to deserve to be labeled injury prone. he has gotten off to a troubling start as he was knocked out of the line-up last year, he got slowed down in pre-season last year and his college career (which I do not lump in as being equal to his pro career so it is little more than an indicator to me) was marked with PT costing injuries.

JP himself got knocked out in practice his first year. he got knocked out of the game last year. However, the second injury came from a dirty hit and was seemingly unrelated to his first boo-boo that I do not think he deserve the label injury prone.

I do not think Edwards deserves it either but certainly both are reasonably put on the watch list even though they have not earned the full "honor" yet.

This is just nonsense. Forget about stats except for W's & L's, Trent was outplayed in EVERY bad weather game so far - HE LOST THEM ALL. And don't tell me QB's can't play well in bad weather, I'm sure you saw the Super Bowl Payton Manning won. That weather was as bad as any Trent has played in.

And here I was thinking THE BILLS had lost those games. How foolish of me! Thank you for setting me straight!

Trent's commitment to some offseason conditioning has certainly paid dividends on the field. He looks stronger, leaner and sharper than he did last year. But is the on-field benefit the only dividend it will pay? I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere but I submit that his newfound commitment to conditioning will also increase his durability in two ways; 1) it will improve his ability to avoid potentially damaging situations (i.e. getting rolled up on, not being able to extricate himself from traffic, etc) and 2) the increased muscle mass will also help protect joints and ligaments at the times he does get bounced around.

Any docs or trainers on board who'd care to comment on this hypotheseis?

I don't know. Slam a car door on his passing hand and then get back to me. :thumbsup:

PTR

[quote name='K-9' date='Sep 18 2008, 12:17 PM' post='113630

As I've tried to explain to you in the past, I'm far more concerned about Edwards developing as a QB. You seem hell bent on him developing only as a passer. I'm not sure you appreciate the distinction. If you can't you know less about QB play than even the most casual fans.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not concerned about Trents overall QB play including his ability to throw long. My only concern is will he EVER learn to play well in poor weather & can he stay healthy. If he can he could be a GREAT QB. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
I don't know. Slam a car door on his passing hand and then get back to me. :thumbsup:

PTR

Naww, lets not try that one. B-)

So much for a doctors opinion, where is Dr Trooth when you need him. :beer:

2) If you can find me a QB who could play well in that weather-name him & prove it by showing someone who played well in identical conditions. Do you even know how bad the weather was, or are you just another statboy who relies on black on white instead of viewing? Only someone who did not see these games can make statements as ludicrous as you have based on those two games...and if you were at the one in Buffalo, then name me another game where the front row seats got flooded out and fans like me had to move to higher ground. I've never seen that in the other 184 games I've attended at the Ralph.

Well, 2 immediately come to mind. Derek Anderson and Eli Manning. Other QBs I've seen play well in miserable conditions: Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe, Warren Moon, Frank Reich, Doug Flutie, Bart Starr, Don Meredith, Carson Palmer, Rich Gannon, Brett Favre, Michael Vick. I'm sure there are others.

Up until the 3rd quarter Trent as a rookie outplayed Manning in that weather, and he did the same against Anderson. Bottom line is anyone who holds those games as part of his detriments I want to call to mind how JP did in his first game against New England, or starts 2,3, and 4 in his 2nd year. We had 80 yard games and he was missing badly.

Let the JP thing go. I liked him, but when I saw Trent I immediately knew he was better as a rookie.

This has nothing to do with JP, sorry. I don't think Trent outplayed either Eli or Anderson in those games. I wanted him to. I rooted like hell for him to.

It's not a matter of stats, either, or of who won the game. An incompletion is an incompletion in the stats. But, Trent's passes were way off the mark, compared to the other two QBs (who were off the mark, as well).

Simply put, Edwards looked almost...I don't know...confused, might be the best way to put it. I thought it was "scared", at the time. Looking back, though, I think it was simply an inability to comprehend the havoc that kind of weather can play with the football. I wish he would have stayed through the winter to get the feel of the weather and throw hundreds of passes in the snow, rain and wind, simply to get the feel of it. He didn't. I don't think that is a disaster, or anything and judging by how he came back, it is clear that he was working hard in the offseason.

So, I expect Trent to be better in the bad weather this year, but I won't know he will be, until I see it. In the first game against Seattle, Trent wasn't too hot when the weather was real bad, early. As the weather got a little better, so did Trent. That may be simply coincidental, as it was the first game of the season, and Trent didn't really get any preseason work.

So, we shall see. I hope he has a chance to get his feet wet, before getting a real bad storm during a big game. I also hope he gives it a shot w/o the gloves, this year.

Guest dog14787
This has nothing to do with JP, sorry. I don't think Trent outplayed either Eli or Anderson in those games. I wanted him to. I rooted like hell for him to.

It's not a matter of stats, either, or of who won the game. An incompletion is an incompletion in the stats. But, Trent's passes were way off the mark, compared to the other two QBs (who were off the mark, as well).

Simply put, Edwards looked almost...I don't know...confused, might be the best way to put it. I thought it was "scared", at the time. Looking back, though, I think it was simply an inability to comprehend the havoc that kind of weather can play with the football. I wish he would have stayed through the winter to get the feel of the weather and throw hundreds of passes in the snow, rain and wind, simply to get the feel of it. He didn't. I don't think that is a disaster, or anything and judging by how he came back, it is clear that he was working hard in the offseason.

So, I expect Trent to be better in the bad weather this year, but I won't know he will be, until I see it. In the first game against Seattle, Trent wasn't too hot when the weather was real bad, early. As the weather got a little better, so did Trent. That may be simply coincidental, as it was the first game of the season, and Trent didn't really get any preseason work.

So, we shall see. I hope he has a chance to get his feet wet, before getting a real bad storm during a big game. I also hope he gives it a shot w/o the gloves, this year.

TE/mittens :thumbsup: