new stats fuel old debate

ROCCEO

It's friday, no class, Im bored so i decided to research the debates of the summer a little bit. Kelsay v. Denney was one of my favorites and Through 5 games, here's their stat lines:

Chris Kelsay 10 tackles 6 solo 1.0 sack 3.5 tackles for loss 1 FF 1 pass defensed

Ryan Denney 9 tackles 3 solo 0.0 sacks 0 tackles for loss 0 FF 0 passes defensed

discuss

It's friday, no class, Im bored so i decided to research the debates of the summer a little bit.  Kelsay v. Denney was one of my favorites and Through 5 games, here's their stat lines:

Chris Kelsay 10 tackles 6 solo  1.0 sack 3.5 tackles for loss 1 FF 1 pass defensed

Ryan Denney 9 tackles 3 solo  0.0 sacks 0 tackles for loss 0 FF 0 passes defensed

discuss

80966[/snapback]

I have come to the conclusion that the bills are going to deny Kelsay the right to bud at the the End position until some sort of cap situation mandates they get rid of Denny.......

I personally think they are holding back his development....the bottom line is that KELSAY IS MORE PRODUCTIVE......how many sacks does he have this year? Pressures?

Chris Kelsay 10 tackles 6 solo  1.0 sack 3.5 tackles for loss 1 FF 1 pass defensed

Ryan Denney 9 tackles 3 solo  0.0 sacks 0 tackles for loss 0 FF 0 passes defensed

discuss

80966[/snapback]

Two wasted second round picks so far.

RunTheBall

So to you, the guy leading the team in tackles for a loss = wasted 2nd round pick?

81029[/snapback]

Of the 4 guys on the line, only 2 (the ends) push into the backfield in this defense. That's what fat Sam is all upset about. So, out of the 3 defensive ends, one of them has tackled the enemy ballcarrier 3.5 times behind the line in FIVE games. WOW! That's production baby. What was I thinking.

Between he and Denney we've got 2 serviceable backups. Add Schoebel to that list and now you've got 3 backups and no premier DE.

I think he has potential, but there's a lot of potential on that line and not a lot of production.

RunTheBall

Kelsay should be the 100% starter.

Ryan Denney had an extra year to develop and is also 5 years older than Kelsay. IMO he's nothing more than a legitimate run-stuffing backup DE.

81132[/snapback]

The statistics don't even indicate that he's all that much greater of a run stuffer than Kelsay (a team leading 3.5 tackles for a loss)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teamstats?te...r=2004&season=2

Of the 4 guys on the line, only 2 (the ends) push into the backfield in this defense. That's what fat Sam is all upset about. So, out of the 3 defensive ends, one of them has tackled the enemy ballcarrier 3.5 times behind the line in FIVE games. WOW! That's production baby. What was I thinking.

Between he and Denney we've got 2 serviceable backups. Add Schoebel to that list and now you've got 3 backups and no premier DE.

I think he has potential, but there's a lot of potential on that line and not a lot of production.

RunTheBall

81114[/snapback]

Squirrelnuts there has a valid point (Just kiddin RDB.. :) )

There is a problem with the fundamental play of the defensive line and it has Sam Adams miffed....because they dont seem to want to let their 2 DT's (who are supposed to also be good pass disrupters) get into the backfield and after the QB......IF THEY DID it would create more opportunities for the ends in the defense and thus more stats for both Kelsay and Schrobel