Officiating in Big D tonight

Mark Vader

Whoever is watching the game. The officials missed 2 blatant facemask penalties.

What the hell is going on with the zebra's this year?

You know there's no longer a 5-yard facemask, correct? I didn't see the plays in question (not watching the game), but if they weren't "good" enough to merit a 15-yard penalty, there's no foul.

You know there's no longer a 5-yard facemask, correct? I didn't see the plays in question (not watching the game), but if they weren't "good" enough to merit a 15-yard penalty, there's no foul.

The first facemask, Brian Westbrook's face was turned completely back, no call.

I thought the new rule was that every facemask was now 15 yards, period.

Are you saying that facemask penalties are now only called at the officials' discretion?

The first facemask, Brian Westbrook's face was turned completely back, no call.

I thought the new rule was that every facemask was now 15 yards, period.

Are you saying that facemask penalties are now only called at the officials' discretion?

Sounds like they blew the Westbrook one, then ... but yes, the officials have to decide it's worth a flag. Here's the link to my copy of the transcript where this was discussed:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=989625

The relevant excerpt, from Rich McKay:

Proposal number 8 would eliminate the 5‑yard penalty for face mask. We believe that we can still promote and cover all the safety issues there are with respect to the face mask penalty with 15‑yard penalty. We then said you either must twist it, turn it or pull it for a 15‑yard penalty as opposed to the 5‑yard standard which only required a grasp. College is likewise changing their rule this year with respect to that penalty.

Guest dog14787

Poz musta figured he might as well set the standards by which a fask mask should be judged this year, his being worst case scenario that is :lol: