Edwards 107.7 QB Rating

DIE HARD 1967

Hopefully we don't see Losman at all, other then when they show him on the sidelines.

Speaking of Losman on the sidelines, something I noticed in the Seattle game (didn't get the Jax game on TV) was Trent looking over plays and photos of the defense with Hamden but no JP in the shot

For those who saw the Jax game, was it the same way for the Jax game?

For those who were at the Seattle home opener, was it Trent/Hamden with no JP all game or did the camera just not catch JP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a MUCH better offense.

It's MUCH better play-calling.

The Defense and Special Teams have provided MANY more opportunities, much better field position, and not giving up drives and points to make us play from behind.

Trent is much bigger, much better, much better prepared and confident.

The first three would have helped Losman significantly, too.

I know this is the common wisdom on the board, but I just don't believe it. Trent is a much better field general than Losman and that allows our team to perform better.

I think we should recognize that our offense is much better because of Trent.

I think our play-calling is better partly because the coaches trust Trent and his ability to understand and execute the gameplan.

Even the defense is better because of longer sustained drives on offense.

I haven't figured out how to give Trent credit for special teams, but I'm working on it <_<

I know this is the common wisdom on the board, but I just don't believe it. Trent is a much better field general than Losman and that allows our team to perform better.

I think we should recognize that our offense is much better because of Trent.

I think our play-calling is better partly because the coaches trust Trent and his ability to understand and execute the gameplan.

Even the defense is better because of longer sustained drives on offense.

I haven't figured out how to give Trent credit for special teams, but I'm working on it :lol:

Amen. JP will never, ever be close to the QB that Trent is. You could see his poise after his first few starts, I can't believe how many people kept insisting on JP, it was obvious Trent was in another league based on being a rookie QB and JP having 3 years to show us something.

While I think Trent is a big part of the improved offense, I agree with everything Kelly posted. As to the above, the play-calling is better because Fairchild is no longer calling the plays. Even when he was here, his play-calling and game planning was more suited to Trent's style, than to JPs.

I'm pretty sure JP understood the game plan, just fine.

Lots of people like to talk about arm strength as though it was THE measuring stick of a quarterback, yet Joe Montanna was never considered to have a big gun type of arm. He was just intelligent and accurate and that was good enough for 4 Super Bowl victories. I'll take it.

Lots of people like to talk about arm strength as though it was THE measuring stick of a quarterback, yet Joe Montanna was never considered to have a big gun type of arm. He was just intelligent and accurate and that was good enough for 4 Super Bowl victories. I'll take it.

Trent's arm strength has always been fine. He still need to learn to throw the long ball (and is getting better), but it isn't because of lack of strength.

Brady didn't throw a lot of great long balls early in his career and neither did Philip Rivers. Brady learned to, over the years, and it looks like Rivers is learning, too.

I think Trent will be fine with the long ball. I hope they start to give him a little more gameday practice with it.

Cmpletion percentage is great - but his yards per attempt are pretty thin - needs to get that up to take it to the next level...(But it is a great start)

8.26 is 10th in the league at the moment.....and a bloody good ypa.

FWIW.....

8.32 led the league last year(2006).....only one other over 8 and eight total over 7.5.

8.61 led the league in 2006.....only one other over 8 and six total over 7.5

8.9 led the league in 2005.....only two others over 8 and eight total over 7.5

Trent's arm strength has always been fine. He still need to learn to throw the long ball (and is getting better), but it isn't because of lack of strength.

Brady didn't throw a lot of great long balls early in his career and neither did Philip Rivers. Brady learned to, over the years, and it looks like Rivers is learning, too.

I think Trent will be fine with the long ball. I hope they start to give him a little more gameday practice with it.

I think we all underestimated his ability to throw the deep ball because He Who Shall Not Be Named can get more air under his passes than just about anyone who's ever played here.

(Unfortunately for HWSNBN, he would also get that kind of air under his five-yard swing passes.)

I've seen nothing to suggest that Edwards can't make every single throw required of an NFL quarterback.

I agree with you -- Trent does have good arm strength and should only get better. I think I was just trying to counter some people's perception on that subject (faulty though it may be) that there is more to a QB than arm strength and that these other factors are probably even more important than arm strength. That said, I also think Trent has good strength, as well.

I'm pretty sure JP understood the game plan, just fine.

I guess I'm just not as willing to put 100% of the blame on Fairchild. When I hear that our QB isn't allowed to call audibles, I think it speaks to his grasp of the offense.

I guess I'm uncomfortable with Kelly's post that implied that Losman would be successful in the current environment - I honestly believe that our offense is more sophisticated this year because of Edwards' ability to learn the playbook. I admit I have no proof, just a gut feeling.

Hopefully we don't have a chance to find out, but if we do, I hope I'm wrong

I guess I'm just not as willing to put 100% of the blame on Fairchild. When I hear that our QB isn't allowed to call audibles, I think it speaks to his grasp of the offense.

I guess I'm uncomfortable with Kelly's post that implied that Losman would be successful in the current environment - I honestly believe that our offense is more sophisticated this year because of Edwards' ability to learn the playbook. I admit I have no proof, just a gut feeling.

Hopefully we don't have a chance to find out, but if we do, I hope I'm wrong

I think JP would be more successful than he was, last year, in the current environment. I don't think he would be as successful as Trent is now, with this team. As you said, hopefully we won't need to find out.

I am fairly comfortable with him as a #2, and won't freak if he has to come into a game. I actually think his temperament is ideal for a #2 QB. Again, unless it is mop-up duty, I'd rather not find this out.

I think JP would best fit a team like the ones I am currently watching, particularly Dallas. They have a good OL. Big fast receivers. And the go-long mentality. I think he could be a star in Denver. But, JP would still have to improve in some areas to be totally effective, even with those teams. The one area that he needs the most improvement in, is his awareness in the pocket. That is something some QBs never learn, but it can be improved.

QB Stats (Edwards #7)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?s...2&year=2008

2 Wins.

Tied for 1st in AFC EAST

ESPN 2 says he is "THE MOST IMPROVED PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE NFL"

Ron Jawbreaker was blasting the experts for jumping on the Brett Farve band wagon and ignoring the Bills...Jaws said "I warned you guys but you just had to do it"

I am real happy....not sure about you guys!

Check out the names of the QB's rated lower then Edwards....

Since somebody has to say it

JP was 11th in the league once :lol:

That said lets keep going with Trent (Bill in NYC, that was so you understand i am supporting Trent and not JP.)

Brett Farve has 68%

So whats your point?

I think his point is that Brett Favre is an overthehill has been qb that fuggin sucks & should be cutting his grass on his farm in Missisippi & Edwards is an upcoming good solid young qb.

8.26 is 10th in the league at the moment.....and a bloody good ypa.

FWIW.....

8.32 led the league last year(2006).....only one other over 8 and eight total over 7.5.

8.61 led the league in 2006.....only one other over 8 and six total over 7.5

8.9 led the league in 2005.....only two others over 8 and eight total over 7.5

Excellent point. And when you look at Hall of Fame QBs, their career yards per attempt stat tends to be lower. Below is a list of the career yards per attempt stats for some current and future Hall of Fame QBs:

Joe Montana: 7.5 yards per attempt

John Elway: 7.1 yards per attempt

Brett Favre: 7.0 yards per attempt

Tom Brady: 7.1 yards per attempt

Peyton Manning: 7.7 yards per attempt

Jim Kelly 7.4 yards per attempt

Dan Marino 7.3 yards per attempt

Trent's 8.3 yards per attempt stat for the first two games of this season is just fine, thank you very much. We've seen two games of real quarterback play. If a guy kept putting up those kinds of numbers for the next 10+ years, then (at least based on his numbers) he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer. But this isn't just about Trent's numbers, as impressive as they are. It's about how he's put up those numbers. He's taken good care of the football, with no interceptions in those two games. He's read defenses quickly, and has made intelligent decisions. He sees multiple options, and puts the ball into the hands of the right man. If a defense takes away A - D, Trent will exploit option E. This style of quarterbacking is hard to defend against because it's so hard for a defense to take away every option a quarterback might have.

Also, bear in mind that Trent has put up those gaudy numbers against playoff caliber teams noted for being good on defense. He's done this with Josh Reed as his #2 WR and Robert Royal as his primary TE. Not too shabby in my book.

Two games do not a career make. Trent has a lot to prove before he'll be accepted as a bona fide top-10 QB, let alone a Hall of Famer. But if he can do with consistency what he's done the past two weeks, then he's the real deal. 10+ years of the kind of quarterbacking we've seen the past two weeks would be an absolute godsend for this franchise in comparison with what we've seen since Kelly retired. And given that Trent's only 2 games into his second year, there's always room for improvement. I feel more optimistic about this team than I have in a very long time! :lol:

Since somebody has to say it

JP was 11th in the league once :lol:

That said lets keep going with Trent (Bill in NYC, that was so you understand i am supporting Trent and not JP.)

It doesn't matter who you think is a better qb. If JP was the starter, I would be cheering for him at RWS on Sunday. That is what matters.

Besides this, I agree with others in this thread. He might be very effective coming off the bench in case on injury to Trent.

It's a MUCH better offense.

It's MUCH better play-calling....

The first three would have helped Losman significantly, too.

...he's simply been put in a MUCH better position to succeed. He could become the franchise we have been looking for.

You know I can't help but think of the FACT JP has hardly any games with over 200 yards and the fact that he is prone to bone-headed plays, and I just can't help but think that after watching you defend this guy you are "fair" or "balanced". Sure some things would have helped JP, but he is not going to be a good starter in this league. Trent showed me more in his first start than JP did in his career.