Hazing Out Of Control In Florida...

R. Rich

Man, the way that team in Tampa hazed that heralded rookie was something!

I watched the Atlanta-Tampa Bay game to try to get a read on Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, and the Falcons. I wanted to see if they were for real or not after their opening weekend thumping of Detroit.

All kidding aside, Ryan stunk up the joint in the first half of the Atlanta-Tampa Bay game (0-9 w/ 2 picks to start out), but I have to say I admire the way he stuck w/ it and came out strong in the second half. I don't know if he's the messiah some try to portray him as (Greg Cosell, a guy whose opinion I respect a GREAT deal, said he's the best college QB prospect to come out since Carson Palmer), but I do think he'll be a good NFL player.

Problem was, they couldn't punch it in from the red zone. The Burner needed to have the pilot light checked, as the Bucs illustrated the fact that they're not Detroit all day against him. His running 'tween the tackles left a lot to be desired.

Tampa helped the cause by starting Brian Griese, who was his usual adequate self. If Chucky believes he'll win w/ Griese, he'd better hope to have their scheduled revised to play the Falcons and the Lions in alternating weeks.

One guy I was impressed w/ watching that game was Jeremy Trueblood. Actually, both tackles looked pretty solid for Tampa. Donald Penn gave up a late sack by John Abraham, but he really looked solid for the most part.

I also think the Bucs have a potential Pro Bowler in safety Tanard Jackson, the ex Syracuse star. They played him close to the line of scrimmage to help stop Turner, and he was all over the place. Very impressive.

Ryan is a confident thrower, he doesn't seem scared or intimidated. Once they get a better o-line and some receivers, that offense could be pretty good with Ryan under center.

They're working toward that. I didn't see a whole lot of rookie Sam Baker (he got hurt during the game), but he impressed me in the few instances I saw him play. He absolutely abused Gaines Adams (who was pretty solid himself) on one play, getting his hands on him and nearly throwing him toward the center of the field. Nasty.