Tackling

Numark

There are very few things that concern me over the past two games, as this team has look amazing and better than I even though (I had high expectations). However, my main concern is tackling. We were not that good at tackling in the first game, and we were terrible last game, especially in the 3rd quarter. I'll let the heat take the blame for that game, but if the bills don't do better than that they won't be going as far as we hope.

There are very few things that concern me over the past two games, as this team has look amazing and better than I even though (I had high expectations). However, my main concern is tackling. We were not that good at tackling in the first game, and we were terrible last game, especially in the 3rd quarter. I'll let the heat take the blame for that game, but if the bills don't do better than that they won't be going as far as we hope.

Something tells me the heat/humidity had something to do with the grips the players were getting on tackles. Not that its an excuse, but sweaty arms and hands can't have a great grip.

We did miss some tackles and it needs to be addressed and practiced and concentrated on. No doubt. But overall, they did tackle fine. They didn't give up a play more than 15 yards. Taylor and Jones-Drew and Garrard are excellent at breaking tackles. Look at how many Jaguars that Action Jackson made miss.

yea, it was just frustrating that a few times (3-4) in the 3rd quarter we had someone in the backfield and let him go for a gain of yards, not to mention the two time garrard got a first down on a 3rd down by scrambling when we had him. But, hey, let's go get the raiders...

Youboty put on a tackling clinic yesterday.

How many times last year did we see a 3rd and short and whoever caught the ball would be hit behind the marker but would push through the Bills tackler and get the extra yard needed? Youboty needed help on his tackles, but making that initial stop behind the first down and not letting the ball carrier gain an inch was impressive and needed.

We did miss some tackles and it needs to be addressed and practiced and concentrated on. No doubt. But overall, they did tackle fine. They didn't give up a play more than 15 yards. Taylor and Jones-Drew and Garrard are excellent at breaking tackles. Look at how many Jaguars that Action Jackson made miss.

Thank you. Taylor and Jones-Drew are two of the hardest runners in the league and are usually fresh with the 1-2 punch they throw. I don't think you can expect them to go down to initial contact more than about 50% of the time (complete SWAG). Garrard is big, too. Youboty (who was GREAT yesterday) hit him hard on his blitz, but he didn't go down until help arrived. Sometimes we forget that the guys on the other team are in the NFL, too.

That said, I'm sure they'll do some extra tackling drills this week, especially with the Raiders coming off a big running day.