Grading Jason Peters

Kelly the Dog

For those who have the game available, or for those who have already looked at the play, repeatedly, I have a question or several, on the forced fumble play:

It appeared to me that Edwards took a fairly deep drop on that play. It also appeared the DL took a path around Peters, coming up behind Edwards. Now, under most circumstances, I would expect Trent to feel the pressure and step up in the pocket (as he did on the throw to Evans in the 4th quarter). But, as Bill pointed out, he also had pressure coming from the middle. So in reality, the bad play was a combination of Peters letting his guy get to the QB too quickly, the inability of Edwards to step up, due to another missed/poor block, and his decision to put the ball behind him anyway, to attempt make the throw. Of course, it is entirely possible that Trent didn't sense the man behind him...in which case he is less culpable, but still a part of the equation.

I am in no way suggesting that Peters didn't make a bad play here, it is obvious that he didn't properly handle his man. I'm just looking for the other factors that also seem to contribute to this fumble.

So my questions are: Is any/all of this accurate? If not, what did I miss?

Again, I am really looking for the intelligent/informed opinion. I understand that I will also get my share of stupid/uninformed "Superfan" and Stupidfan" comments, too, but I will do my best to ignore those.

I agree with your observations, and I would add that, IMHO, it looked like once TE spotted his open man, that he was probably going for a longish-intermediate throw, which he is just a tad slower at getting the ball out. (It comes out really quick on the shorter-intermediate routes). Anybody know for sure who/where his intended target was?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, one play to me stood out - and showed me why he is so valuable and a legit pro bowler:

97 of the Jags gave him a speed rush outside move forcing Peters back fast into a kick step. All of a sudden the rusher turned into Peters and jacked him up. As it unfolded I thought JP was too high, and would get rolled back fast into Edwards. In fact, Peters just jecked the dude up and stopped his progress completely. It was incredible - and all from a stance that was WAY too high.

Good call.

For those who have the game available, or for those who have already looked at the play, repeatedly, I have a question or several, on the forced fumble play:

It appeared to me that Edwards took a fairly deep drop on that play. It also appeared the DL took a path around Peters, coming up behind Edwards. Now, under most circumstances, I would expect Trent to feel the pressure and step up in the pocket (as he did on the throw to Evans in the 4th quarter). But, as Bill pointed out, he also had pressure coming from the middle. So in reality, the bad play was a combination of Peters letting his guy get to the QB too quickly, the inability of Edwards to step up, due to another missed/poor block, and his decision to put the ball behind him anyway, to attempt make the throw. Of course, it is entirely possible that Trent didn't sense the man behind him...in which case he is less culpable, but still a part of the equation.

I am in no way suggesting that Peters didn't make a bad play here, it is obvious that he didn't properly handle his man. I'm just looking for the other factors that also seem to contribute to this fumble.

Again, I am really looking for the intelligent/informed opinion. I understand that I will also get my share of stupid/uninformed "Superfan" and Stupidfan" comments, too, but I will do my best to ignore those.

From what I saw your read on this looks correct. The keys to me seem to be making more than a superficial reaction to this that virtually all NFL plays involve positive actions by a number of players or breakdowns by a number of players though the simplistic habit is to try to praise or blame one (and sometimes two) players for being responsible for the success or to blame for the error.

The NFL is interesting to me because it excels most other sports in being a team game despite the tendency of the money marketing machines to one to elevate one hero or blame one villain.

The second key is for folks who really care about the team to seek and advocate a good compromise that promotes the team rather than choosing up sides (FO vs. player or RJ vs. Flutie) and if they are successful in penetrating to the team's notice undercutting the teamwork that makes winners and makes this sport enjoyable for many of us.

97 of the Jags gave him a speed rush outside move forcing Peters back fast into a kick step. All of a sudden the rusher turned into Peters and jacked him up. As it unfolded I thought JP was too high, and would get rolled back fast into Edwards. In fact, Peters just jecked the dude up and stopped his progress completely. It was incredible - and all from a stance that was WAY too high.

I know exactly what play you're talking about.

And I couldn't believe he just stopped dead in his tracks and didn't give an inch when he should have been ass over tincups.

I just went back and watched every single play that Peters was in on and keyed on him. He played very well overall under the circumstances.

I gave grades for each play.

Excellent.

Good.

Did His Job.

Fair.

Poor.

Didn't Matter.

If it was a pass play, and he completely took out his man to become a non-factor, I gave him a "Good"

If it was a quick pass or run to the other side where all he had to do is stand there and not make a mistake I gave him a "Didn't matter"

If he simply did his job but didnt move his man, although his man was a non-factor, I gave him a "Did his job".

If he didnt really get a great block but his man had no effect on the play I gave him a "fair".

He got three ratings of "Poor". One was the sack, although it really wasn't awful on numerous reviews. Trent had a seven step drop and had time to throw. He didn't step up. Peters pushed his man to the outside and the guy made a good play, just getting to Trent from behind. I still rated that a "Poor". But it wasn't completely awful. The other two "Poor" ratings were run plays where no one else did well either and they resulted in two yard losses to Peters side. He didnt get beat on any pass play other than the sack.

He had:

Excellent: 3

Good: 14

Did His Job: 9

Fair: 2

Poor: 3

Didnt Matter: 6

I should hope so.... he is a pro bowler who is severly underpaid with mickey constantly keeping him um.... *cough* relaxed

Peters took him deep but not deep enough, maybe Groves' speed surprised him, maybe he is just rusty, we will never know. There was pressure up the middle so that Trent was kind of trapped. QB's always seem to know when to take that step or two into the pocket that takes the edge russhers out of the equation. What we don't know is what routes were being run. Was it a short pass, a long pass, what? Was the coverage solid? We don't know. But Peters was beaten just bad enough and the timing just worked out for the Jags. The guy just got a hand in and did so at the moment Trent had cocked his arm back. If Trent throws it a beat later, the guy wiffs but then maybe Trent gets blasted form the guy bearing down on him from the middle. My guess is that Trent saw the guy coming free in the middle and decided it was time to bail. So he was in the process of ditching when Groves made that grab.

Peters took him deep but not deep enough, maybe Groves' speed surprised him, maybe he is just rusty, we will never know. There was pressure up the middle so that Trent was kind of trapped. QB's always seem to know when to take that step or two into the pocket that takes the edge russhers out of the equation. What we don't know is what routes were being run. Was it a short pass, a long pass, what? Was the coverage solid? We don't know. But Peters was beaten just bad enough and the timing just worked out for the Jags. The guy just got a hand in and did so at the moment Trent had cocked his arm back. If Trent throws it a beat later, the guy wiffs but then maybe Trent gets blasted form the guy bearing down on him from the middle. My guess is that Trent saw the guy coming free in the middle and decided it was time to bail. So he was in the process of ditching when Groves made that grab.

That sounds about right. I have reviewed the play several times, but as you note, I can't see the coverage from the replays I have.

Peters did the right thing, technically, but Groves got around him too fast, as you note, so he didn't get deep enough.

I'm going to ask this question again, it got buried earlier with a flurry of other posts

I have a question about the OL when they get beat by the DL guy they are supposed to block and they can see the DL closing in on the QB's blindside like the guy that sacked and stripped the ball from TE. Why dont they shout to TE and tell him to look out ! Blindside coming ! Throw the ball !

The LG could have shouted this as well on that play ! What gives ?

I'm going to ask this question again, it got buried earlier with a flurry of other posts

I have a question about the OL when they get beat by the DL guy they are supposed to block and they can see the DL closing in on the QB's blindside like the guy that sacked and stripped the ball from TE. Why dont they shout to TE and tell him to look out ! Blindside coming ! Throw the ball !

The LG could have shouted this as well on that play ! What gives ?

Do you know that they don't do this? I always figure they did, to an extent. But, be aware that this could be used by the defense, against the QB, too.

It would have to be coded, and minimal communication, to be effective, IMO. Plus, it might be hard to hear through all the grunting and pounding.

Do you know that they don't do this? I always figure they did, to an extent. But, be aware that this could be used by the defense, against the QB, too.

It would have to be coded, and minimal communication, to be effective, IMO. Plus, it might be hard to hear through all the grunting and pounding.

I assume they don't because TE was just standing there and didn't move! The DL just swatted TE's arm and tackled him down with TE not moving. It seemed like Jason Peters and the left guard didn't warn TE at all. I was hoping someone knew the answer to this question.