Terrorists

BillsNYC

Islam....the religion of peace.

80863[/snapback]

Like criticizing Christianity on the basis of Reverend Jim Jones or David Koresh. Extremists are not representative of any given overall population. That's why they're called extremists...

Like criticizing Christianity on the basis of Reverend Jim Jones or David Koresh.  Extremists are not representative of any given overall population.  That's why they're called extremists...

81006[/snapback]

I think the differnce is that the two you mentioned had people follow them they weren't going out and killing people in the name of God...Now I think a better example are the people that were/are killing abortion doctors.

I think the differnce is that the two you mentioned had people follow them they weren't going out and killing people in the name of God...Now I think a better example are the people that were/are killing abortion doctors.

81130[/snapback]

Not many people out there killing abortion doctors these days. Look how much attention the murder of Dr. Slepian (forgive the spelling if that's wrong) got. It's a rarity and *everyone* was outraged when it happened. We hate our extremists; we don't quietly support them or use backwards logic to justify the horrible things they do.

Not many people out there killing abortion doctors these days.  Look how much attention the murder of Dr. Slepian (forgive the spelling if that's wrong) got.  It's a rarity and *everyone* was outraged when it happened.  We hate our extremists; we don't quietly support them or use backwards logic to justify the horrible things they do.

81135[/snapback]

Correct. But we also have a relatively free society in which the public has some semblance of a voice.

How often do you hear from everyday people in Arab nations? The people who command power and attention are the corrupt governments and the extremists. Neither is a very good option for the public to turn to. To pin this solely on a society, nation, culture or religion is stupid because this thing is so much more ugly, ambiguous and underlying.

DC Tom was right.

Like criticizing Christianity on the basis of Reverend Jim Jones or David Koresh.  Extremists are not representative of any given overall population.  That's why they're called extremists...

81006[/snapback]

Sorry pal. The difference is that those of us in the Western Hemisphere are quick to denounce people like Jim Jones and David Koresh. The 99.9% of supposedly civilized Muslims are indifferent to the beheadings.

This goes to show you how the majority of these "insurgents" are in fact foreign fighters who couldnt care less about Iraq or its people. A stable, democratically governed Iraq is bad for their cause and they will do everything in their power to stop it.

Which is why our mission is so important and must be seen to the end.

How often do you hear from everyday people in Arab nations?  The people who command power and attention are the corrupt governments and the extremists. 

81148[/snapback]

And why is that?

Sorry, I'm not letting them off the hook.

We're a better culture, we're a better nation, and we're a better society. Comparing religions makes me go a big rubbery one, but I'm sure of those first three and I don't mind saying it out loud.

This goes to show you how the majority of these "insurgents" are in fact foreign fighters who couldnt care less about Iraq or its people.    A stable, democratically governed Iraq is bad for their cause and they will do everything in their power to stop it.

Which is why our mission is so important and must be seen to the end.

81164[/snapback]

Exactamundo. Hammer squarely on nail. This isn't about Iraq at this point.

Sorry pal. The difference is that those of us in the Western Hemisphere are quick to denounce people like Jim Jones and David Koresh. The 99.9% of supposedly civilized Muslims are indifferent to the beheadings.

81152[/snapback]

Of course, you also have to consider that we have far greater opportunity to speak out against people like Jim Jones than most Muslims do against terrorists. A Western cult does something stupid, you have thirty thousand under-employed mini-cam toting reporters brought up under a tradition of free press roving the streets of America looking for reaction. How many "man in the street" interviews have you ever seen out of Amman or Islamabad?

Most Muslims are just like any other person in the world: just trying to make a living. Unlike us, however, they try to in a culture with a long tradition of hammering down nails that stick up. Doesn't make for a very vocal opposition, no matter how widespread.