What are your concerns with EACH

No matter who you are voting for you must have a concern...

For Me my biggest concern with each:

GWB:  His spending he signs every spending bill.

Kerry:  I think he will put too much "faith"(can't think of a better word) in the UN.

80665[/snapback]

Bush: he's an evangelical in a secular postion. He's generally a pretty dull-witted man. I question his ability to properly manage his subordinates, or be managed by them in turn. Absolutely no concept of fiscal responsibility. Certain details of his international and anti-terrorism policies (as near as I can make them out) I disagree with. Administration has a complete inability to explain precisely what they're doing or trying to do on almost every single topic.

Kerry: lacks conviction, instead has "fashion sense". His defense policies and views on how to defend the country and win a war I consider dangerous in being overly passive. Absolutely no concept of fiscal responsibility. Promotes class warfare. Not only panders to the electorate, but does it poorly. Disagree with much of his Senate voting record...and much of what I do agree with (e.g. Defense of Marriage Act) he has a tendency to frequently contradict anyway. Believe his economic plan overall is very poorly constructed and inconsistent.

Mostly, my vote will be determined by two factors: my opinion that Kerry has no convictions but fashion sense, and that he has no concept of how to satisfy national security needs or win the GWOT. Bush, though I disagree strongly with many of his convictions, at least has them, and though he's not perfect on national security and GWOT issues I'm far more confident that any damage he'd do to the effort in the next four years would be far more repairable than the damage Kerry would do. In short: I think Kerry's a sniveling weasel, and I think if a responsible president is elected in 2008 they'll have an easier time cleaning up Bush's national security mess than Kerry's. The only thing that might change my mind is if I could sincerely believe Kerry would address the deficit...but with him espousing a $2 trillion dollar health care plan, I don't see hwo that's even remotely a possibility.

Kerry: strikes me as an ineffective, sniveling patrician weasel who lacks the guts, foresight and determination to accomplish anything of value and is more interested in playing pointless political games than effecting real change. I'd like to see his wife (whom I kinda like) slap him in public.

Bush: he's a simple-minded religous zealot with a messiah complex running the world's most powerful military with a doctrine of "pre-emptive" warfare. That in itself scares the ever-loving shlt out of me. Factor in his spending habits and his disregard for anybody who doesn't see the world exactly like him and it would be difficult to create a president whom I have less rspect for.

Bush: Would probably get to pick two supreme court justices, and despite his crack about litmus tests, he's got a pocketfull of them.

Kerry: Tries to please too many people, will attempt to do too much, but won't have control of either the house or the senate to get any of it done.

Bush: everything is black or white, simplistic view of the world, intolerant, unimaginative, ill-informed, too easily influenced by others, stubborn and arrogant. Takes nothing very seriously. Comes across as mentally deficient.

Kerry: too thoughtful, tries too much to see all sides and compromise, tends to overanalyze. May think he can solve world hunger. Takes too many things seriously. Comes across as condescending.

Add that one to mine, as a footnote to the "evangelical" point...

80997[/snapback]

Yeah, he pretty much blew this question off in the debates. Don't think for a second they aren't going to jump at the chance to pack the court with Scalia's and Thomas's. He'll have control of all three freaking branches of government. I can't believe people aren't wigging out about this.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but this issue is more important to me than the war.

Flame away....

The only thing that might change my mind is if I could sincerely believe Kerry would address the deficit...but with him espousing a $2 trillion dollar health care plan, I don't see hwo that's even remotely a possibility.

80705[/snapback]

There are really two deficits that should merit discussion.

The one that everyone generally focuses on is the annual differential between taxes & expenses. That one is great for getting the electorate up in arms, but it's not a huge factor in the long term, as long as the deficit isn't structural. There's no economic data that shows that the annual deficits we've encountered in the last 4 years are structural.

The bigger issue is the off the books deficit that's comprised of future SS, Medicare/Medicaid payments. This one is structural and will be a major problem if not addressed soon. Of the two candidates, Bush is on the record for saying that he will try to implement changes to stave off disaster. These include moderate privatization of retirement accounts and shifting some of the healthcare burden on individuals from employers.

Kerry is on record to say that he won't change a thing, other than roll back the tax cuts for the top 2%.

Not too hard to see which one has the potential to be a disaster for the next generation.

I'm with Tom. While Bush has many glaring faults, none are the ones that will do grave damage.

Yeah, he pretty much blew this question off in the debates.  Don't think for a second they aren't going to jump at the chance to pack the court with Scalia's and Thomas's.  He'll have control of all three freaking branches of government.  I can't believe people aren't wigging out about this.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but this issue is more important to me than the war.

Flame away....

81002[/snapback]

I won't flame...truth be told, since you put it that way it's making me very queasy as well. But when I rationalize everything, I see Republican control of all three branches of government as a temporary thing that can be fixed a lot more easily than some Abdul al-Mohammed bin Harazm popping off a nuke in downtown San Fransisco.

And yes, I know that sounds alarmist. I believe, for various reasons, that it's a real possibility, and believe that Kerry's idea of defense is more dangerous than Bush's in that regard. Supreme Court nomination has to take a back seat to that consideration for me.

Written by their 3rd grade teachers:

George can be a bright student, but sometimes you wouldn't know it. He makes a lot of fart jokes. He is well liked by his classmates. He doesn't like the bullies and sometimes beats them up with his friends. Sometimes he goes to the bathroom without even asking permission! When it is time to pass out cookies at snack time, George always gives everyone the same # of cookies - even the kids whose parents have lots of cookies! (he says "everybody should get the same number of cookies no matter how many they have"). George does well on tests but could definitely try harder. I have trouble changing George's mind - he sometimes doesn't listen to different opinions very well.

John is a very good student, perhaps too good. He often interupts me when I'm correcting tests to ask me a question such as "Mrs. Jones, did you know a cow has 7 stomachs?" or "Did you know Millard Fillmore once lived in East Aurora New York?". Sometimes I wish he would just play with the other kids. He has a 92 average in all subjects except math, where he has a 89. He cried when I told him his grade. John is a bit awkward. The other day I asked him what his favorite color was and he said "red". When most of his classmates said their favorite color was blue he raised his hand and told me his favorite color was blue as well. He's always the first to raise his hand to answer a question in class, but when I ask for the opinion of the class I notice he counts all the other hands before he answers.

Written by their 3rd grade teachers:

George can be a bright student, but sometimes you wouldn't know it. He makes a lot of fart jokes.  He is well liked by his classmates. He doesn't like the bullies and sometimes beats them up with his friends. Sometimes he goes to the bathroom without even asking permission! When it is time to pass out cookies at snack time, George always gives everyone the same # of cookies - even the kids whose parents have lots of cookies! (he says "everybody should get the same number of cookies no matter how many they have"). George does well on tests but could definitely try harder. I have trouble changing George's mind - he sometimes doesn't listen to different opinions very well.

John is a very good student, perhaps too good. He often interupts me when I'm correcting tests to ask me a question such as "Mrs. Jones, did you know a cow has 7 stomachs?" or "Did you know Millard Fillmore once lived in East Aurora New York?". Sometimes I wish he would just play with the other kids. He has a 92 average in all subjects except math, where he has a 89. He cried when I told him his grade.  John is a bit awkward. The other day I asked him what his favorite color was and he said "red". When most of his classmates said their favorite color was blue he raised his hand and told me his favorite color was blue as well.  He's always the first to raise his hand to answer a question in class, but when I ask for the opinion of the class I notice he counts all the other hands before he answers.

81035[/snapback]

*loud and raucous applause* that was f*cking fantastic!!