Angelo Crowell.......

marauderswr80

Anyone hear anymore information about Angelo Crowell and his second opinion about his knee? Last I heard from Chris Brown of BB.com, was that he was to get a 2nd opinion to see if he could play. Now if he was able to play the Bills would have to take him off the IR and he would he would become a FA and allowed to sign anywhere, including Buffalo. I might have my facts wrong, so take it for what its worth. But from what I read, there is a slight chance he could be on the field with this team in a few weeks........

If anyone knows more then I do about, which im sure they do, please post it here.

Thanks.

From Chris Brown on Friday:

WINDOW TO BRING CROWELL BACK CLOSED: After seeing the Saints reach an injury settlement with injured DT Hollis Thomas thereby making him a free agent and taking him off their injured reserve list, several Bills fans have asked me via e-mail if the Bills could have done this with Angelo Crowell.

The answer is the Bills could have done it up until yesterday, but the five day window to do it closed at that time. However, it’s not as clear cut as it might seem.

Yes, it would make Crowell an instant free agent enabling him to sign with any NFL team including the Bills when he was healthy again. The language of the injury settlement however, is the key.

A player can return to the team only after the number of weeks specified in the injury settlement plus an additional six weeks.

For example, if the settlement Hollis Thomas signed was for 5 weeks he would not be able to return to the Saints until the week 12 game due to the additional six week stipulation.

I believe the unpredictable nature of Crowell’s injury and rehab post-surgery likely removed any benefit for the Bills of taking such action, while also exposing him to 31 other teams prior to the free agency period in March.

eh, i was watching the thurman thomas show last night and they highlighted how he screwed up on a play last year and the jags ran like 40 yards for a td. at least he wont be around to do it again.

Yeah, leading tacklers aren't allowed to make a mistake. We are weaker withoutn him. IMHO, the Bills FO acted in an emotional are immature reaction to them being PO'd about this last mintue surprise. Both were wrong, but this is a business, let's act with a modicum of decorum. But please, a 1-4 week injury does not equate to IR. Not buying any of their BS of being shorthanded. God forbid one or 2 of our LB's go down midseason.

Yeah, leading tacklers aren't allowed to make a mistake. We are weaker withoutn him. IMHO, the Bills FO acted in an emotional are immature reaction to them being PO'd about this last mintue surprise. Both were wrong, but this is a business, let's act with a modicum of decorum. But please, a 1-4 week injury does not equate to IR. Not buying any of their BS of being shorthanded. God forbid one or 2 of our LB's go down midseason.

I think you are wrong, but are entitled to your opinion. The recent back and forth about his surgery leads me to believe that the doctors think this will me much more than a 1-4 week recovery, a number which was based on a media report with no medical foundation.

How do you know it is a 1-4 week injury? If it is , why hasn't the surgery been performed? You would think he would want it done quickly to get back playing. He is getting more opinions which lead me to believe it's more serious.

The Bills' decision to put him on IR and use his roster spot for a player who could contribute immediately was "immature?" And delaying surgery, despite needing it for months, was "mature?"

Crowell is the one who screwed-up here, not the Bills. From all accounts, he should have had surgery months ago and didn't. Then he went against everyone and decided to have surgery 3 days before the opener. Then when the Bills put him on IR, he instead decided to get a second opinion, which he was supposed to get either yesterday or today. Why didn't he follow through with the surgery? Why didn't he get the 2nd opinion BEFORE announcing he was going to have surgery? Why not keep his trap shut, see if he could play through the pain, and THEN make his decision?

How do you know it is a 1-4 week injury? If it is , why hasn't the surgery been performed? You would think he would want it done quickly to get back playing. He is getting more opinions which lead me to believe it's more serious.

Surgery hasn't been performed because he was placed on IR so damn quick. Now he has all the time in the world to get a 2nd opinion, which he's doing. What difference does it make when he gets it done now - he's on IR and can't play this year anyway.

The Bills' decision to put him on IR and use his roster spot for a player who could contribute immediately was "immature?" And delaying surgery, despite needing it for months, was "mature?"

Yeah, cutting off your nose to spite your face was a pretty emotional reaction and very immature, or should I say unprofessional

Neither the Bills FO nor Angelo were being immature about it at all. I think Angelo was trying to play through the injury, and simply couldn't do it anymore. Nobody wants to sit out for a season. But it I think it was wishful thinking on Angelo's part to think this was a 1-4 week injury. The Bills' doctors saw something in the knee they didn't like and Angelo felt that he could do a quick scope and come back. The Bills' doctors didn't agree. I think this will end up being the best thing for Angelo. He'll be able to take the time to heal properly and move on. The same situation happened with Merriman.

Plus, there's no reason for the Bills FO to be immature. They need as many quality players as they can get to win. If they thought Angelo could keep contributing, why would they put him on IR? They wouldn't.

Surgery hasn't been performed because he was placed on IR so damn quick. Now he has all the time in the world to get a 2nd opinion, which he's doing. What difference does it make when he gets it done now - he's on IR and can't play this year anyway.

Wrong! He could have gotten the 2nd opinion quickly and either player or had the surgery, and negotiated an injury settlement to get the Bills to release him so he could sign on with another team. Unprofessional was waiting until there were 3 days until the season opener. Have you ever heard of a player doing that before?

Wrong! He could have gotten the 2nd opinion quickly and either player or had the surgery, and negotiated an injury settlement to get the Bills to release him so he could sign on with another team. Unprofessional was waiting until there were 3 days until the season opener. Have you ever heard of a player doing that before?

I already said he was in the wrong - doesn't make the Bills FO reaction to it right.

I already said he was in the wrong - doesn't make the Bills FO reaction to it right.

I think you're misinterpreting their reaction. Sorry but I just don't think the FO would dump a player they thought could keep helping them win. I think Angelo's knee was more seriously damaged than he realized or wanted to face. It's not his fault, he just wants to play. But if it comes down to Angelo not playing this year and still having a career later, or hurting the knee even more and being out of football because of it, this is the better option.

Yes, he can. If he gets an injury settlement he would become a free agent.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. We'll see, if he gets his surgery and how long it takes him to recover.

Not really. He could've decided to have the scope and remove some of the cartilege and be ready in a few weeks. But since the FO reacted emotionally and immediately placed him on IR, now he's got plenty of time to rehab, so he may opt for repair, which takes a lot longer to recover from.