No Victory In Iraq

General Petraeus has overseen the so-called "surge" of American combat troops into Iraq and he is about to leave to take on a more senior role leading US Central Command.

He says the fabric of Iraqi society was being torn apart by "horrific" violence and he would never declare victory there.

"This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade... it's not war with a simple slogan," he said.

However, as security has improved American combat troops could be moved out of a number of major cities, including Baghdad.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/12/2362484.htm

I was watching a BBC show yesterday and they were doing interviews with American soldiers and those guys were pretty down on the operation. They had high dedication to the military and all, but were pretty disgusted with the whole situation. A guy I play hockey with this summer was the same way.

I'd like to see the whole trancript from the interview, not some Aussie reporters take.

What about this portion?

The outgoing commander told the BBC that Al Qaeda's battle in Iraq is "going poorly", despite the group's claims to be doing well.
We can all find something positve or negative if we look hard enough.

Do you scour the world's newpapers just looking for anything negative you can find to post here? Seriously, get a life.

What do we do now? Declare victory and leave?
That's what Obama wants to do isn't it? I don't really know to be honest. I could see Iraq ending up like South Korea, Japan and Germany. Iraq with a permanent US presense could be a counter to Iran. Bahrain and Qatar have permanent US bases and we little hear about them and Iraq could eventually be the same.

I'd like to see the whole trancript from the interview, not some Aussie reporters take.

What about this portion? We can all find something positve or negative if we look hard enough.

Do you scour the world's newpapers just looking for anything negative you can find to post here? Seriously, get a life.

Yes they do swede. Can't deduce on their own must have it poured into their heads. You are a sight for sore eyes, another voice of reason. Check out my thread... We need more brains like yours, I can't point out the painfully obvious all the time. <_<