What A Sh**y Idea!

molson_golden2002

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080910/od_nm/..._6IND00cIQSH9EA

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - San Antonio unveiled a deal on Tuesday that will make it the first U.S. city to harvest methane gas from human waste on a commercial scale and turn it into clean-burning fuel.

ADVERTISEMENT

San Antonio residents produce about 140,000 tons a year of a substance gently referred to as "biosolids," which can be reprocessed into natural gas, said Steve Clouse, chief operating officer of the city's water system.

"You may call it something else," Clouse said, but for area utilities, the main byproduct of human waste - methane gas - will soon be converted into natural gas to burn in their power plants.

The city approved a deal where Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc will convert the city's biosolids into natural gas, which could generate about 1.5 million cubic feet per day, he said.

Methane gas, which is a byproduct of human and organic waste, is a principal component of the natural gas used to fuel furnaces, power plants, and other combustion-based generators.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080910/od_nm/..._6IND00cIQSH9EA

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - San Antonio unveiled a deal on Tuesday that will make it the first U.S. city to harvest methane gas from human waste on a commercial scale and turn it into clean-burning fuel.

ADVERTISEMENT

San Antonio residents produce about 140,000 tons a year of a substance gently referred to as "biosolids," which can be reprocessed into natural gas, said Steve Clouse, chief operating officer of the city's water system.

"You may call it something else," Clouse said, but for area utilities, the main byproduct of human waste - methane gas - will soon be converted into natural gas to burn in their power plants.

The city approved a deal where Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc will convert the city's biosolids into natural gas, which could generate about 1.5 million cubic feet per day, he said.

Methane gas, which is a byproduct of human and organic waste, is a principal component of the natural gas used to fuel furnaces, power plants, and other combustion-based generators.

That Clouse character is full of sh*t.

Seriously though, I always wondered why major cities didn't try to go this route. I'm in Chicago and can only imagine how much poop is running through out underground pipes.

That 1.5 million cubic feet per day doesn't mean anything to me. Anyone put that in terms of how much/how long that will power?

Seriously though, I always wondered why major cities didn't try to go this route. I'm in Chicago and can only imagine how much poop is running through out underground pipes.

That 1.5 million cubic feet per day doesn't mean anything to me. Anyone put that in terms of how much/how long that will power?

I'm almost positive that it's more than a $hiit load but less than a $hiit ton.

1 cubic foot of gas contains on AVERAGE 1,000 Btu

1.5 million ft3 = 1,500,000,000 btu

100,000 BTU = 1 Therm

1,500,000,000/ 100,000 = 15,000 therms

Appliance Average Therms Used

Water Heater 24 therms/month

Range 2 therms/month

Dryer 5 therms/month

Gas Grill 0.23 therms per use

Gas Logs 3 therms every 8 hours

-- according to Atlanta Gas Light Company

1 cubic foot of gas contains on AVERAGE 1,000 Btu

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_natural...herms_do_we_use

Appliance Average Therms Used

Water Heater 24 therms/month

Range 2 therms/month

Dryer 5 therms/month

Gas Grill 0.23 therms per use

Gas Logs 3 therms every 8 hours

-- according to Atlanta Gas Light Company

1 therm=100,000 btus, so I calculate you can blend 666,666 pitchers of margaritas/month.