NASA 9/11 Picture

Dante

It is crazy to think that jumping 100 Floors is the better of 2 options

I think if I had to work in a skyscraper like that now, I would seriously look at learning how to skydive with one of those small parachutes that some people jump off bridges or cliffs with. I would want to give myself options, even if they weren't great. Something is better than nothing.

There was a person who tried to climb down from about the 90th floor. He made it about 10 floors before falling.

On the outside of the building?? Wow.

We were watching from our window on Park Place but I left once they started jumping. Had no desire at all to watch that. Just watching the two towers burning from street level was a sight I'll not forget.

Your story is amazing. We evacuated after the 2d plane hit and I decided to go for the trains before they shut everything down. Managed to get to GCT and get one of the last trains out to CT.

If I never see another image of a person leaping from those buildings, it will be fine with me. I like to think I've got a pretty thick shell, but those images above all others from that day, still cause some strong emotional and even physical reactions in me.

Watched an interesting show on The History Channel last night about the attacks called "I Witness" and everytime they showed footage of someone jumping, I conveniently decided it was time to get up to grab a beer, let the dog out or check on the grill. Great show though, completely uncensored. You get a real feel for the sheer anger, fear, sadness, helplessness people there felt as it was happening. A couple times, I caught myself thinking "would I have reacted any differently?" If it's on again, it's a powerful show.

I saw that was on and watched about 30 seconds before I just couldn't deal with it and changed the channel. IIRC there was a person who jumped from a high floor and actually slid down side of the building and survived.

I saw that was on and watched about 30 seconds before I just couldn't deal with it and changed the channel. IIRC there was a person who jumped from a high floor and actually slid down side of the building and survived.

I'm grateful that my sister (she works at the Smithsonian) and her husband (he works at the Pentagon) were OK and that a fellow Bills fan/poster who worked at WTC decided not to go into work that day. But I'm with you, man. I'll never forget, but that doesn't mean I'll ever make the choice to voluntarily re-live it...

On the outside of the building?? Wow.

We were watching from our window on Park Place but I left once they started jumping. Had no desire at all to watch that. Just watching the two towers burning from street level was a sight I'll not forget.

Your story is amazing. We evacuated after the 2d plane hit and I decided to go for the trains before they shut everything down. Managed to get to GCT and get one of the last trains out to CT.

I was living in Brooklyn at the time, I didn't want to go home. I figured I would drive myself crazy watching CNN all day.

3/21/03

3/21/03

3/21/03

Another NASA image

Never forget.

Never forget that we are not alone in tragedy. And never forget that whether we are dishing out or receiving it, it's tragic nonetheless.

NYC and DC were under attack by flying missiles because of those who disagreed with our leadership. Same reason in Baghdad. We are self-centered to believe that one is more tragic than another.

Dude,

No comparison. You're an idiot if you think so. :nana:

The people in the buildings and at the airport in Baghdad knew it was coming.

The Abraham Lincoln quote in my signature line is for you......

Dude,

No comparison. You're an idiot if you think so. :nana:

I think it's good advice for you too.

I'm grateful that my sister (she works at the Smithsonian) and her husband (he works at the Pentagon) were OK and that a fellow Bills fan/poster who worked at WTC decided not to go into work that day. But I'm with you, man. I'll never forget, but that doesn't mean I'll ever make the choice to voluntarily re-live it...

Man, that's weird that your friend didn't go into work that day. It makes you wonder. Seth McFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, was supposed to be on one of those planes:

Experience with September 11, 2001 attacks

On the morning of the September 11, 2001 attacks, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts, after delivering a keynote speech at his alma mater. MacFarlane has stated that his travel agent had given him an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.)[69] and that he had been suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations.[70] As a result, he arrived at Logan International Airport sometime around 7:30 and was unable to board the flight.[69] Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked,[71] and at 8:46 a.m. was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, Port Authority, New York City, with no survivors.[72]

In an interview with TVShowsOnDVD.com, MacFarlane said the following about his close call:

“ "The only reason it hasn’t really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn’t really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you’re crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car… this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can’t let it affect me because I’m a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head."

I think it's good advice for you too.

So, you agree with his post?

Do you really think that Bin Laden attacked us because George Bush is the president?

Why don't you go read his fatwah and then come back and post something intelligent......

So, you agree with his post?

Do you really think that Bin Laden attacked us because George Bush is the president?

Why don't you go read his fatwah and then come back and post something intelligent......

I know quite a bit about the situation, thank you.

Now, on to the subject that was actually being discussed. Claiming in any way that the deaths of those who died in one event over another are any more or less tragic because they "knew it was coming" is ridiculous.

If you're intent on continuing to make a fool of yourself over the political aspects of the two attacks, there is a forum for it just a few clicks away.

From the movie Snatch

Turkish:" For ever action, there is a reaction. And a Pikey reaction... is quite a !@#$ing thing. "

In other words, you want to play the game your gonna get your hair mussed up a bit. No need to piss and whine about it. It's done.

Man, that's weird that your friend didn't go into work that day. It makes you wonder. Seth McFarlane, the creator of Family Guy, was supposed to be on one of those planes:

]Experience with September 11, 2001 attacks

On the morning of the September 11, 2001 attacks, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts, after delivering a keynote speech at his alma mater. MacFarlane has stated that his travel agent had given him an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.)[69] and that he had been suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations.[70] As a result, he arrived at Logan International Airport sometime around 7:30 and was unable to board the flight.[69] Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked,[71] and at 8:46 a.m. was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, Port Authority, New York City, with no survivors.[72]

In an interview with TVShowsOnDVD.com, MacFarlane said the following about his close call:

“ "The only reason it hasn’t really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn’t really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you’re crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car… this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can’t let it affect me because I’m a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head."

Moral of the story- hooray for alcohol! Sorry had to add some levity to this thread

Dude,

No comparison. You're an idiot if you think so. :unsure:

Hey man, I understand the emotions and such involved with the Sept 11th attacks. However, stepping away from the emotion for one second, it was essentially an attack on our nation by foreign nationals.

Most of us have had the luxury of living our lives here without ever the threat of war on our continent. Talk to some of the elders over in England (or Germany, etc.) to imagine what it feels like to lay in bed listening to bombs exploding 100 feet from your house.

I was not making an anti-or-pro anything statement. I am extremely sentimental around 9/11 because of personal tradgedy suffered that day. However, I am not naive enough to pretend that America is a victim and we are the only nation who has been through something like this. What is the day of remembrance in a place like Baghdad or Sarajevo? How do they narrow it down to just one?

I'm merely saying that any act of intentionally destroying cities and intentionally killing thousands of people is pretty shiitty, regardless of how, why, or where it happens.

I was living in Brooklyn at the time, I didn't want to go home. I figured I would drive myself crazy watching CNN all day.

Yeah, I didn't want to do that either. A friend came and got me and we sat at an outside bar all afternoon away from the TVs, noticing the very distinct lack of planes and trains that would ordinarily be all over the place. Drank about 10 beers and smoked half a pack of butts (I don't smoke), and we were still sober.