Alex Smith on IR

Gallery now plays guard. You know a lot of guards who make 10M a year and get drafted top 5?

Do you know many lineman who get picked top 5 and aren't even in the league 3 years later?

Are you saying that Gallery isn't at least a better player than Williams?

Totally agree. Odds were really stacked against Smith. Starting in his first year on a horrible team with no offensive line wasn't a good idea either.imho I kinda like Smith. Hopefully he can reboot his career elsewhere.

Yup.

As long as he isn't an 'emotional wreck' by now..

I don't see V. Young, M. Leinhart, B. Croyle making long career pros either..

Yup.

As long as he isn't an 'emotional wreck' by now..

I don't see V. Young, M. Leinhart, B. Croyle making long career pros either..

Yeah but Croyle was a 3rd round pick, not a top 10 pick.

As for high QBs, half the reason they "bust" so often is because they go to crap teams and are labeled as the savior of the franchise from day 1. If teams would learn to build up the lines, the defense and the offense before drafting a young QB, you'd see a much higher success rate. Stick with the recycled vets for a couple of years until you build up a team.

Poor San Fran. $50 million down the toilet.

Yeah poor San Fran. Spend the top pick on a QB, who was the best of a weak lot but ran a gimmick offense in college, and not worthy of a top-5 pick, let alone no.1 overall, then put his development into the hands of a defensive-minded rookie head coach, and then to top it all off change the OC every year the kid is in the league.

Consider it a $50M fine for unmatched stupidity.

Yeah poor San Fran. Spend the top pick on a QB, who was the best of a weak lot but ran a gimmick offense in college, and not worthy of a top-5 pick, let alone no.1 overall, then put his development into the hands of a defensive-minded rookie head coach, and then to top it all off change the OC every year the kid is in the league.

Consider it a $50M fine for unmatched stupidity.

Yeah. He showed real growth and promise with Norv Turner as his OC, but then he took the Head Coaching job in SD, and no one can blame him, but it really cost Smith.

Yeah but Croyle was a 3rd round pick, not a top 10 pick.

As for high QBs, half the reason they "bust" so often is because they go to crap teams and are labeled as the savior of the franchise from day 1. If teams would learn to build up the lines, the defense and the offense before drafting a young QB, you'd see a much higher success rate. Stick with the recycled vets for a couple of years until you build up a team.

Always been my strategy :cry: