I CAN'T BELIEVE OBAMA SAID THIS

Identifying oneself with a political party is, to me, a rediculous practice to begin with and leads to making a blind choice based on affiliation and a one-way loyalty to something that is utter nonsense. I'm not sure if there is a need for people to define themselves, or identify themselves with a group as validation?? I can't say I understand it. A party that trademarks itself as "pro-business" or "pro-military" or "pro-human rights" is laughable. There is not ANY candidate who is NOT pro-business, or pro-military, or pro-human rights. A party that preaches smaller government ends up increasing beauracracy and government intervention. The fundamental differences that perhaps used to exist have dissolved into, basically, the same jackasses in a different suits on different sides of an aisle.

QFT

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO -- look at all the leftards here excusing behavior that if it had been directed at Hillary two months ago would have been a national scandal. I guess you are all a little traumatized seeing just how slick the Messiah is when he's not reading off the teleprompter!

:lol:

In Iowa last October, McCain drew comparisons between Hillary Clinton's current health care plan and the one she championed in 1993: "I think they put some lipstick on the pig, but it's still a pig." He used roughly the same line in May, after effectively claiming the Republican nomination.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/10...tick/index.html

Other politicians have also used the phrase in recent years, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington state, Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Rep. John Mica of Florida and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, among others.

Torie Clarke, a former McCain adviser, even wrote a book called, "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning In the No-Spin Era by Someone Who Knows the Game."

McCain ally Mike Huckabee took Obama's side on the issue, saying he didn't think it was a swipe at Palin.

"It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes." "But I've been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that's maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I'm going to have to cut him slack."

Thats true. To that effect, most states are already predetermined to go to each candidate. There are a few "battleground" states where each vote is crucial, and frankly, you have to wonder what personal criteria each undecided voter is using to make their choice. Are they influenced by a 2-second soundbite or a candidate not wearing a lapel pin? It's quite possible that those people are literally deciding who will be the next President.

While this is anecdotal evidence, it always seems (to me at least) the people fired up about the soundbites or label pins are the hardcore party supporters. I would imagine that these issues are used more to drive out your own party's vote than it is to appeal to the middle of the electorate.

I recall hearing a bit ago on NPR that if you look at the people who call themselves undecided, the top issue by far right now is the economy, followed by foreign policy. I'm sure there are some people that make up their mind over stupid stuff, but I think that it is likely a pretty small number.

Identifying oneself with a political party is, to me, a rediculous practice to begin with and leads to making a blind choice based on affiliation and a one-way loyalty to something that is utter nonsense. I'm not sure if there is a need for people to define themselves, or identify themselves with a group as validation?? I can't say I understand it. A party that trademarks itself as "pro-business" or "pro-military" or "pro-human rights" is laughable. There is not ANY candidate who is NOT pro-business, or pro-military, or pro-human rights. A party that preaches smaller government ends up increasing beauracracy and government intervention. The fundamental differences that perhaps used to exist have dissolved into, basically, the same jackasses in a different suits on different sides of an aisle.

Completely and utterly agree.

I think more people should be offended by this:

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."

I mean, a woman candidate? Fish? Stink?

I think we can all see where he was going with that... :lol:

While this is anecdotal evidence, it always seems (to me at least) the people fired up about the soundbites or label pins are the hardcore party supporters. I would imagine that these issues are used more to drive out your own party's vote than it is to appeal to the middle of the electorate.

I recall hearing a bit ago on NPR that if you look at the people who call themselves undecided, the top issue by far right now is the economy, followed by foreign policy. I'm sure there are some people that make up their mind over stupid stuff, but I think that it is likely a pretty small number.

Completely and utterly agree.

What I understand about the soundbite stuff is it is best used to drive up your opponents negatives, hopefully driving undecideds away from you opponent, then, to the extent you can id them, you hit those areas with positive direct mailings about things you know they will support.

I think more people should be offended by this:

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."

I mean, a woman candidate? Fish? Stink?

I think we can all see where he was going with that... :lol:

LOL! Reminds me of the old joke where God says to Eve, "Why did you have to go swimming in the ocean? Now I'll never get that smell off my fish."

Remeber the good olde days when at a conventions an actual platform for the party was developed that defined the things that each party would do when elected? The problem is todays press and talking heads would rather talk about messiahs, pigs in lipstick, was someone for bridge/war and now against it versus real issues like how to get the economy back on track, what they will do to about alternative fuel sources, what their tax cuts/raises really look like, what they will do about illegal immigration and reform of the immigration policies. etc. We have no one talking about issues and resolutions to those issues just a bunch of spew and sheep swallowing it.

In Iowa last October, McCain drew comparisons between Hillary Clinton's current health care plan and the one she championed in 1993: "I think they put some lipstick on the pig, but it's still a pig." He used roughly the same line in May, after effectively claiming the Republican nomination.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/10...tick/index.html

Other politicians have also used the phrase in recent years, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington state, Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Rep. John Mica of Florida and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, among others.

Torie Clarke, a former McCain adviser, even wrote a book called, "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning In the No-Spin Era by Someone Who Knows the Game."

McCain ally Mike Huckabee took Obama's side on the issue, saying he didn't think it was a swipe at Palin.

"It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes." "But I've been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that's maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I'm going to have to cut him slack."

Said thing is that no one will bring out the fact that McCain used it.

Remeber the good olde days when at a conventions an actual platform for the party was developed that defined the things that each party would do when elected? The problem is todays press and talking heads would rather talk about messiahs, pigs in lipstick, was someone for bridge/war and now against it versus real issues like how to get the economy back on track, what they will do to about alternative fuel sources, what their tax cuts/raises really look like, what they will do about illegal immigration and reform of the immigration policies. etc. We have no one talking about issues and resolutions to those issues just a bunch of spew and sheep swallowing it.

I think the conventions have always been a time to pander to your party's base and try to get people excited. It seems both parties were successful from that standpoint, as far as generating "buzz" goes.

Now is the time for voters to listen, compare and contrast, and decide who is the most presidential. Hopefully the issues you mentioned will be explored in more detail than just generic rhetoric, especially in the debates.

The problem is todays press and talking heads would rather talk about messiahs, pigs in lipstick, was someone for bridge/war and now against it versus real issues

The talking heads work for corporations. Corporations want to make money therefore give the consumers what they want. Ergo the talking heads are only talking about what the viewers(consumers) want

Need proof? Browse thru PPP and see how many threads were spawned because a pregnant 17 year old

It's an expression, and an apt one. He could have said "window-dressing" and someone would have a fit over that as well.

He's absolutely right in calling out McCain on this - it's pretty clear McCain has nothing to say about the issues and is going to campaign on bull sh-- like "he said/she said" and "I know I am but what are you" - playground crap.

I would rather hear about the issues myself.

It's an expression, and an apt one. He could have said "window-dressing" and someone would have a fit over that as well.

He's absolutely right in calling out McCain on this - it's pretty clear McCain has nothing to say about the issues and is going to campaign on bull sh-- like "he said/she said" and "I know I am but what are you" - playground crap.

I would rather hear about the issues myself.

McCain's own campaign manager agrees with you.

Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain's presidential bid, insisted that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues during an interview with Post editors this morning.

"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

So let me see if I have this straight. The campaign that screamed racism when Clinton described it as a fairy tale is suddenly indignant because Obama's use of a common phrase is being painted as a sexist attack?

Welcome to the world of what-goes-round-comes-round. Enjoy your stay.

So let me see if I have this straight. The campaign that screamed racism when Clinton described it as a fairy tale is suddenly indignant because Obama's use of a common phrase is being painted as a sexist attack?

Plus, half of that same party also decried sexist attacks on Hillary for months. I know because my wife always watches NBC -- the official network of the Democratic party -- and we heard about the sexism issue on a daily basis for most of the primary season.

Amazingly, we don't hear anything similar about the current attacks on Sarah. Now, it only takes 48 hours to go from the sexist comment to the 'stop whining' phase. And not only that, NBC even arranges for the Messiah to go on David Letterman so he can explain away his gaffe with a clever little joke. Naturally, NBC ran that clip repeatedly this morning.

Of course, when slick a-holes on TV in New York don't sway working class voters in the rust belt, Dems will again be scratching their heads trying to figure out why.