Offensive Line Depth: Those of you with O-line obsessive...

OCinBuffalo

There's no need to call people out, we all know who you are. :thumbsup:

So, I wanna know...

With Kirk Chambers playing as well as he did last game, against one of the "supposed" best pass rush teams in the NFC, it's clear we have a ready and stable guy to back up our tackles. I thought Duke Preston actually earned his roster spot this year in pre-season. In fact, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at center if Fowler continues his so-so performance. I think Demetrius Bell is a project, but I also think that he can play in a pinch, and, with Chambers clearly on the ball, we have time to develop him this year and even next. I think Whittle has proven he can play, and while I don't think he can dominate, this question is about depth, not starters. Matt Murphy? Who knows? But they must have kept him for a reason, especially since he's hurt and taking up a roster spot. All in all, I'd say the line played extremely well on Sunday, and the only reason we didn't score more was Edwards' rust.

...are you satisfied with our O line and O line depth now? :D

Disclaimer: I think we need to take a long, hard look at the Center position in this upcoming draft. Hopefully there's a 1st round talent coming out, and if there is, I think we should bet the house on him, and use as many picks as necessary to get him. I know we need another LB. But with the guys we have at that position in reserve, especially Digi, we can always use the rest of our picks on a solid 2nd/3rd round guy. I think we can do that because I see our 4-7th draft picks in next years draft having a very difficult time making the team(how many more draft picks end up on the practice squad? what's the point?). Doubly so, since our 1-3 picks from this year are having a hard time getting on the field, in any capacity. Also, this is very young team, with most of the starters we have looking at 5 more years, at minimum, ahead of them.

We need a pass rusher more then we need a center, and there really is no 1st rd prospect at center. I'm not an offensive line guru. Dline is more my thing, but I think on the dline it's more about pure talent, compared to oline, which to me is more about technique, and being taught the right way. I think you can get quality oline play from guys drafted well into later rounds. Elite Pass rushers are harder to come by, and it's a position we sorely need. Hey I liked our defensive performance last Sunday as much as the next guy. However I would over the course of the season like to see more lone pressure fron the front 4, instead of relying on heavy blitzing. With names like Michael Johnson, George Selvie,Greg Hardy, Greg Middleton, and auston english. Next years draft is the year to get that end of the future, and add depth to the team.

There's no need to call people out, we all know who you are. :thumbsup:

So, I wanna know...

With Kirk Chambers playing as well as he did last game, against one of the "supposed" best pass rush teams in the NFC, it's clear we have a ready and stable guy to back up our tackles. I thought Duke Preston actually earned his roster spot this year in pre-season. In fact, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at center if Fowler continues his so-so performance. I think Demetrius Bell is a project, but I also think that he can play in a pinch, and, with Chambers clearly on the ball, we have time to develop him this year and even next. I think Whittle has proven he can play, and while I don't think he can dominate, this question is about depth, not starters. Matt Murphy? Who knows? But they must have kept him for a reason, especially since he's hurt and taking up a roster spot. All in all, I'd say the line played extremely well on Sunday, and the only reason we didn't score more was Edwards' rust.

...are you satisfied with our O line and O line depth now? :D

Disclaimer: I think we need to take a long, hard look at the Center position in this upcoming draft. Hopefully there's a 1st round talent coming out, and if there is, I think we should bet the house on him, and use as many picks as necessary to get him. I know we need another LB. But with the guys we have at that position in reserve, especially Digi, we can always use the rest of our picks on a solid 2nd/3rd round guy. I think we can do that because I see our 4-7th draft picks in next years draft having a very difficult time making the team(how many more draft picks end up on the practice squad? what's the point?). Doubly so, since our 1-3 picks from this year are having a hard time getting on the field, in any capacity. Also, this is very young team, with most of the starters we have looking at 5 more years, at minimum, ahead of them.

with fowler, preston and chambers all scheduled for UFA, it's fair to say that a starting C, backup OG/OC, and #3 OT will be heavy priorities going into the off-season........unless of course these guys are retained

no doubt that an upgrade is needed over fowler (although he'd make a nice backup), and the best way to address that is likely early in the draft........you can take a C in the late first or second and they can usually step right in

with fowler, preston and chambers all scheduled for UFA, it's fair to say that a starting C, backup OG/OC, and #3 OT will be heavy priorities going into the off-season........unless of course these guys are retained

no doubt that an upgrade is needed over fowler (although he'd make a nice backup), and the best way to address that is likely early in the draft........you can take a C in the late first or second and they can usually step right in

Well said. I would hope that Chambers is re-signed (perhaps soon), and they draft a OC and OG.

Why the difficulties with the running game on Sunday?

Was it scheme?

Was it Seattle daring Edwards to beat them through the air?

Turk mixed things up pretty well, so I don't think we were predictable (like last year). While basking in the afterglow of Sunday's win I would place the running game as our main need for improvement.