Will Smith Captain America?

K-Gun10

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Will Smith and most of his work, but this just ain't right. Captain American is white, and if they can't find a suitable white actor to fill the role, then they shouldn't make the movie.

Just my uninvited two cents.

I like Will Smith and most of his work, but this just ain't right. Captain American is white, and if they can't find a suitable white actor to fill the role, then they shouldn't make the movie.

Just my uninvited two cents.

If Kojak can become black so kin Capin 'merica. Sheeeeeeeeit.

If Kojak can become black so kin Capin 'merica. Sheeeeeeeeit.

I could care less if they make Captain America black, but are they going to include all the Will Smith-isms in the movie?

Captain America [seeing his nemesis for the first time]: "Daaaaaaaaaaaa-yuuuuuummmm!"

Captain America [admiring his shield]: "I make this look good."

Captain America [looking at the camera]: "Man, parents just don't understand!" (OK, this one is more of a longshot but not by much.)

I could care less if they make Captain America black, but are they going to include all the Will Smith-isms in the movie?

Captain America [seeing his nemesis for the first time]: "Daaaaaaaaaaaa-yuuuuuummmm!"

Captain America [looking at the camera]: "Man, parents just don't understand!" (OK, this one is more of a longshot but not by much.)

I care quite a bit. If they made CA black then they would have to totally re-do the history of the character. At this point the movie is looking to be mainly set in WWII. There is no way they could have a character who is perceived as an iconic American hero set during that time period who is black.

Bullseye here.

I'd like to think our country is past the point where anyone cares about the race of the actor who plays a comic book character. However, I find a little too much 'Fresh Prince' in most of Will Smith's roles so this is not one I'll be lining up to see.

Because of a little matter called RACIAL SEGREGATION. It was very popular in the 30's & 40's! :censored:

Actually Marvel had a mini-series that had a black character as Captain America. In the 2003 limited series Truth: Red, White & Black, black soldiers act as test subjects for the WWII Super Soldier program of 1942. Most of the subjects die, or become deformed with the exception of one, Isaiah Bradley. Isaiah substitutes for Captain America on an assignment, discovering Jewish concentration camp detainees subjected to experiments.

But it would ruin the story to not have white Steve Rogers as CA. This is the next chapter after Iron Man in ultimately bringing together the Avengers. You can't change the main characters from who they are. I imagine someone like Keifer Sutherland or Russell Crowe as Cap.

Because of a little matter called RACIAL SEGREGATION. It was very popular in the 30's & 40's! :thumbsup:

Exactly right. The character of CA is much like marvels version of Superman. He is hero to the nation epitomizing the American ideals of truth, justice etc, etc. CA was set up by the government to be a morale boost for the nation to focus on.....he even wears the flag as his costume. For those times a black character simply does not fit. Even the army during WWII had segregated units not allowing the black & white soldiers into the same groups.

I imagine someone like Keifer Sutherland or Russell Crowe as Cap.

A canadian or an australian, nice. Yeah, it probably doesn't mean much of anything in this kind of casting, but I thought it was funny anyway.

Yeah. Unless they camp it up it's going to come across as dated and stupid.

And if they camp it up it's probably going to suck.

If they do away with the uber-nationalism in Captain America they might as well not even make the movie, since that is one of the major themes. Since it's set in WWII, you should probably be prepared to be disappointed.