Without Brady, will Moss turn into his Raider self ?

I posted this in a different thread (mea culpa, I didn't see this one)...

If I was one of the team leaders (and I don't know who they are...Harrison, Vrabel?), the one guy I'd be keeping a very close eye on is Randy Moss. I probably like him more than most, but it is undeniable that he has a penchant for becoming disinterested (or worse, destructive) when the team begins to struggle.

For as much as I hate their organization, I always liked that the Patriots were probably one of the only teams (if not the only team) that would be able to tell Randy to Fck off if at any point became a distraction. Any other team, for as much as they want to discipline a player like Moss, TO, etc., are almost always held hostage by the talent he brings and would rather accommodate him than take a stand. Brady could tell him straight up "Listen, we are excited you are here and we should dominate together, but the second you become a distraction, you can feel free to clear your locker and get the fck out. We've won rings without you and we don't need you at that cost."

Now, with Brady done, and the possibility of a disaster of a season (which follows up the kick to the nuts which was the Super Bowl), I could see Randy reverting very quickly. Cassell (or whoever they bring in) is already going to be in the impossible situation of having to replace the legend of the franchise. A 2004-06 Randy Moss is the poison that could completely sink this team. If I was a vocal team captain/leader, I'd make damn sure that doesn't happen.

Can't help to wonder if Moss will step up his game or disappear ?

Real test of the Patriots team first mantra.

Thoughts?

No, he won't. He won't have as good a year, but he'll still have a good year. Moss respects Belichick, and that'll be enough for him to do his job. He (arguably rightfully) had no respect for those at the helm in Oakland and his play reflected it.

I used to like his writing, but now I'm really enjoying watching The Sports Guy piss and moan about how the P*ts season is over:

Getting final word on the Brady injury felt like being an actor on a cop show and identifying a murder victim at the morgue: Yep, that's it. That's the 2008 Pats season. You can pull the sheet back over it. Thanks.

But this was what he wrote about the effect of the injury on Moss:

Q: I am giving this Cassel dude four weeks. If he doesn't get better, I'm gonna jog through my routes and stop going over the middle. Cool?

-- R. Moss, Foxboro, Mass.

SG: Just kidding. I wrote that one. But that has been the underrated part of Brady's injury -- the Pats didn't just lose Brady, they might lose Randy Moss, too. His track record of quitting on bad quarterbacks is both extensive and frightening. I don't even want to talk about this.

LINK

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it seems the Boston Globe's writers are picking up on Randy's dissatisfaction with Cassel's play thus far:

FOXBOROUGH - Randy Moss said all the right things after catching just four passes for 25 yards in the Patriots' 38-13 loss to the Miami Dolphins yesterday, but his body language seemed to tell a different story.

Moss sat in solitude on the bench for most of the first half as the offense struggled. The wide receiver has yet to establish the same passing rapport with quarterback Matt Cassel he had with Tom Brady, and it hasn't helped that teams consistently have rolled a safety in Moss's direction, challenging Cassel to get him the ball.

LINK

i watched the dolphins' destruction of the pats, and it seems like moss is already calling it in... i recall watching a perfect cassell pass that moss didn't even bother reaching out to grab. the commentators mentioned that he showed no/minimal effort on several plays during the game.

From Deadspin

http://deadspin.com/5053952/your-week-4-ja...uitous-cleavage

Fantasy Player That Deserves To Die A Slow, Painful Death

Randy Moss. Oh, look! It’s the special edition Malcontent Randy Moss! Now with 50% more sulking! And EXTRA indifference to weak side plays! Ah yes, I know this Moss model quite well. Can’t imagine it happening to a nicer group of fans. F*cking bandwagon-jumping, stadium-clearing f*ckfaces. THIS is the Moss you’ve always deserved. I hope he runs over a Walpole meter maid. MWAHAHAHAHA.

Five Potential Key Injuries

-Ben Roethlisberger (hand)

-Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder)

-Ben Roethlisberger (brain puddling)

-Ben Roethlisberger (cognitive leprosy)

-Ben Roethlisberger (Monosyllablitis

No, he won't. He won't have as good a year, but he'll still have a good year. Moss respects Belichick, and that'll be enough for him to do his job. He (arguably rightfully) had no respect for those at the helm in Oakland and his play reflected it.

Unfortunately Randy is dependent on externals to be 'happy'. He has already shown he doesn't have the maturity to be a good teammate when the going gets tough. All changing teams did was improve his externals, he was catching touch down passes, the Patsys were winning, life was good. Now they are hitting some adversity and what is on the inside will come out. Probably already is..... A selfish, me first player. He can't get over himself for the sake of the team, for the sake of a new quarterback. But hey, thats good for us Bills fans!