If Obama is elected

bills_fan

One has to ask, if Obama is elected, and his tax raises are passed, what happens to the additional revenue? This article foretells an enormous increase in suckling at the government breast, with no accountability whatsoever.

Contrast this with McCain's idealistic notion to end earmarks as we currently know them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to ask, if Obama is elected, and his tax raises are passed, what happens to the additional revenue? This article foretells an enormous increase in suckling at the government breast, with no accountability whatsoever.

Contrast this with McCain's idealistic notion to end earmarks as we currently know them.

Since I am only going on what Obama has said, take that for what it is worth. But he plans to balance the budget. Considering we are running the largest deficits in the history of the U.S., it is probably the best thing to do. Ending the war will add a benefit in reducing spending and he claims that he is going to use part of that tax increase to give the middle class a tax break. Depending how "Middle Class is defined, it may not be that much of an increase in revenue.

This is what is on his campaign website on the topic: http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/obamaandtaxes

McCain will cut government spending? But what about the rebate checks so necessary to prop up consumer confidence? Wouldn't cutting spending have the opposite affect?

McCain will cut government spending? But what about the rebate checks so necessary to prop up consumer confidence? Wouldn't cutting spending have the opposite affect?

Let's be realistic here: neither one of these guys is cutting spending. The only difference is what they'll waste the money on.

Let's be realistic here: neither one of these guys is cutting spending. The only difference is what they'll waste the money on.

That is what I believe. My other question is if additional revenue does come in, will it be used to reduce the deficit or for more spending? I am not talking about reorganizing current spending or giving unnecessary tax breaks that increases the deficit even more.

Do you actually believe that from either candidate? You believe that Obama isn't going to raise taxes on people making $500,000 per year? That he's going to cut taxes for people making $200,000 per year? Yeah...when pigs fly.

Also, does this mean that they are going to make Bush's tax cuts permanent and then change taxes by that amount? Or does this mean they are going to allow's Bush's cuts to expire and then make these cuts (which will be a net tax increase for almost everybody)?

That's assuming that the wealthy that are targeted for Obama's tax hikes will continue to generate the same levels of taxable incomes going forward...

That is what I believe. My other question is if additional revenue does come in, will it be used to reduce the deficit or for more spending? I am not talking about reorganizing current spending or giving unnecessary tax breaks that increases the deficit even more.

My expectation is that McCain will keep try to keep taxes and spending roughly the same, and Obama will try to raise both taxes and spending, with Congress enabling them just like the do Bush. I don't expect the deficit to be affected much at all.

If I thought either of these guys stood for fiscal responsibility and would veto a budget heavily in the red, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat.

My expectation is that McCain will keep try to keep taxes and spending roughly the same, and Obama will try to raise both taxes and spending, with Congress enabling them just like the do Bush. I don't expect the deficit to be affected much at all.

If I thought either of these guys stood for fiscal responsibility and would veto a budget heavily in the red, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat.

So if a guy ran on anti-abortion, no foreign policy, anti-military, heavy Christianity, but was fiscally responsible you'd vote for him?

One single issue? :angry:

So if a guy ran on anti-abortion, no foreign policy, anti-military, heavy Christianity, but was fiscally responsible you'd vote for him?

One single issue? :sick:

Overgeneralize much? What part of "either of these guys" escaped your comprehension, you stupid !@#$ing dwarf? :angry:

Yes that would have to be a strong consideration. Even if that irrelevant statement of VABills were true. It would depend on Congress and his/her vp and the make up or attitude of Congressional politics at the time.

He also said that some of that money would benefit development of green energy and also help offset the cost in health care.

Didn't we already discuss this in another thread? I traced the Post's summary back to the source document, and I couldn't see where the numbers came from. Not saying they are wrong, just noting that there seems to have been an extraordinary amount of handwaving between what the original report said and what the Post say's. And I'm pretty skeptical about the Post's conclusions about the 160-600k range.

Also, note that the Post's table has as a baseline assumption the expriation of the Bush tax cuts. Thus McCain's 'tax cuts' are really the present situation, while Obama's more modest cuts for those 111k+ should be read as an actual increase in taxes from the present. And the +8.7 and +11.5% increases at the top are *in addition* to the repeal of the tax cuts - they are more like 12% and 16% increases over todays rates.