Question about Crowell

Kelly the Dog

Reading the Chris Brown story on him today, it doesn't seem as sinister as first thought, although personally I think it was a bad move by the Bills and they should have kept him. Apparently, they don't know if he would be gone two weeks or four or even eight or more, even though these usually are short recoveries, and they made the decision they couldn't wait on it. Again, I don't like it and would have kept him a week or two to see how the surgery went.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=6540

But, as long as he is not furious about it, and I'm not sure he is from the article, he's just bummed (he may indeed be furious, we don't know), I don't see why the Bills couldn't just reach an injury settlement with him once he is healthy, pay him his entire contract, then waive him and resign him for the rest of the year at minimum if he was willing to do it. Sure, he could reach an agreement with another team, but it's highly doubtful anyone is going to give him a huge contract in the middle of the season without knowing if he is back or not. And if they do, who cares? We weren't going to have him anyway. It would be more advantageous to him to step in and play for the Bills, knowing the defense already and showcasing himself for the highest taker next year.

Obviously, if Ellison or someone else is playing good, there wouldn't be a big reason for it. And you may not be able to reach an injury settlement with a player and then waive them if they are on IR (But I thought you could, perhaps it's another list with a different name). But anyone know if this is even possible?

EDIT: Apparently, you can do that only in the first four days. Then you can't resign that player, only other teams can.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Devious thinking.....and not sure this works..but

Cut him and reach the injury settlement. I think we then gain the remaining base salary back as cap room. Also there is little amortized bonus because its his last year of the existing contract so almost no total cap hit for cutting him. Then use the gained cap room as part of a year 1 salary on an extension that acts signing bonus. Move a 7 or 8 Million Signing bonus all into year 1 salary by using the gained cap room and some extra money (i think his base is around $3 million but can't find clumpy's page) and you end up with a very cap friendly extension. He is really a decent LB...and young enough to still perform at a high level....i would hate to see this be the end of his Bills career..

Devious thinking.....and not sure this works..but

Cut him and reach the injury settlement. I think we then gain the remaining base salary back as cap room. Also there is little amortized bonus because its his last year of the existing contract so almost no total cap hit for cutting him. Then use the gained cap room as part of a year 1 salary on an extension that acts signing bonus. Move a 7 or 8 Million Signing bonus all into year 1 salary by using the gained cap room and some extra money (i think his base is around $3 million but can't find clumpy's page) and you end up with a very cap friendly extension. He is really a decent LB...and young enough to still perform at a high level....i would hate to see this be the end of his Bills career..

After a little looking you can do it only in the first four days, according to PFT. After that, I found elsewhere, other teams can sign Crowell and play that season but the Bills couldn't, unless another team signed him, and then cut him, making him a new free agent.

The Bills could have:

1. Cut him when he was healthy and not pay salary this year and say "Come back when you are healthy and we will sign you again and it will all be made up." .

2. They could wave him, signing a settlement (like they did with Christie) and sign him week 10.

3. They could IR before season but can not sign him but do not pay salary but some other amount determined by NFLPA agreement.

Obviously

1. That means you trust the player & agent and obviously they don't

2. They didn't either because of interest of Bills or Crowell did not give them chance

3. They did this so obviously that was best choice from their point of view.

Crowell could have:

1. Asked to be released with no obligations

2. Chose to play at least game 1 and elect surgery

3. Have the surgery earlier

4. Do what he did and give notice to Bills he was going to have surgery

Obviously

1. He didn't do or if he did offer Bills turned him down (duh!) - this also means Bills would not pay medical bills

2. Didn't do possibly because he miscalculated Bills reaction

3. Probably did not want to risk what happened being put on IR list but that means not as confident he would be back in 2-4 weeks

4. Did so at wrong time

I am not sure what the Bills could have done if he chose to play and then was put on IR due to optional surgery. That kind of action would certainly be a red flag to future teams however.

After a little looking you can do it only in the first four days, according to PFT. After that, I found elsewhere, other teams can sign Crowell and play that season but the Bills couldn't, unless another team signed him, and then cut him, making him a new free agent.

So we cut him, and tell another team that if they sign 'em, we'll throw them a 6th rounder for him. :thumbsup: