Ok a real question this time

Why do people of both parties feel the need to tear down the other side with outright falsehood and exagerations? I have seen it from both sides of the aisle, so to say one side is doing it so that is why I do it. We all do it. Is it human nature, the need to be right or is it something much deeper and darker?

Really it boils down to mud-slinging is fun to validate your beliefs. Many people don't care if they are true, only if they give them an advantage. The truth is no longer important in this country, the attempt to make a truth is more important to show others why they don't support the other side.

It all boils down to trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Really it boils down to mud-slinging is fun to validate your beliefs. Many people don't care if they are true, only if they give them an advantage. The truth is no longer important in this country, the attempt to make a truth is more important to show others why they don't support the other side.

It all boils down to trying to gain an unfair advantage.

Forget about right or wrong. I have no idea half the time, I just like arguing. It is safer than killing each other, which is why democracy works!

Why do people of both parties feel the need to tear down the other side with outright falsehood and exagerations? I have seen it from both sides of the aisle, so to say one side is doing it so that is why I do it. We all do it. Is it human nature, the need to be right or is it something much deeper and darker?

One side feels the need to tear the other side down because they want all of society to subscribe to their religious beliefs. The other side understands that we live in a pluralistic society and is comfortable with the notion that what is ok to me may not be how someone else chooses to live. Since they don't have the burning desire for the validation of others or to control how others live, they feel the need to stop these crazy myopic folk from controlling everyone else and they must tear them down. Strangely the outright lies and falsehoods only come from the crazy folk who want to control everyone else and make them subscribe to their world view.

My take is that, all is fair in love and war. And this isn't love.

A variety of reasons, depending on the person doing it. At the national level, people put Die Partei ahead of anything else (basically, it becomes a religious war). At the level of this board...people are idiots, people need validation, people have their identities desperately tied up in their beliefs and absolutely cannot accept that maybe the "other guy" isn't evil incarnate (really, it's surprising how many people go beyond "politically active" into "cultists"). Or people are just bored and don't give a sh--.

A variety of reasons, depending on the person doing it. At the national level, people put Die Partei ahead of anything else (basically, it becomes a religious war). At the level of this board...people are idiots, people need validation, people have their identities desperately tied up in their beliefs and absolutely cannot accept that maybe the "other guy" isn't evil incarnate (really, it's surprising how many people go beyond "politically active" into "cultists"). Or people are just bored and don't give a sh--.

woot, touche' Tom :thumbsup: