McCain losing the room

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, couldn't they have found Palin six months ago? She blows the rest of the GOP field away.

I didn't watch her speech to be honest. If she was as good as some conservatives and even some liberals say, why the hell didn't the conservatives make her the Pres candidate. I like Obama because he seems like maybe he could be a leader, but I hate his economic views.

My state will go McCain really, so I am free to vote for anyone. ATM, I am considering voting for Dev/Null. At least he is on my football team.

Give me the long list of great American Presidents who lacked an ability to inspire the nation, had charisma, and created a feeling of belief by just watching them and/or listening to them that we are the best the world has to offer.

Well, prior to Kennedy I'm not sure it made too much difference. Remember than Nixon won the '60 debates from the view of radio listeners.

The most successful recent Presidents have indeed by the most charismatic (Reagan, Clinton). Bush Sr. comes to mind as a very good President who was not inspirational. Other non inspirational Presidents were less successful; Carter (horrible), Ford and Bush (too early to judge his legacy).

I agree that being an inspirational leader is a valuable quality, but not a good substitute for knowing what your doing.

I'm a McCain supporter and I had that awkward feeling for the first half that I have when Bush speaks...its like I was waiting for him to mispronounce something.

Towards the end though, it got intense and I think he pulled it off.

Regardless, I don't think he's going to win or lose this election in his ability read a teleprompter.

I do think he'll fare much better in the head to head debates - not because Obama isn't a GREAT speaker and will be prepared, but that McCain is very passionate, and like others have stated, shoots from the hip.

I agree - he got stronger and stronger as he went on. By the end of it, I thought it was perhaps the best acceptance speech I had ever heard.

Totally surprised me. I've always thought of him as a stiff.

I find he has a weird kind of stilted-ness that plays somewhere on a continuum of sincere to contrived/awkward.

A fair outing I'd say. Flat compared to Palin. Everyone is still talking about her.

That's pretty much it for the national audiences except for the debates.

Everyone is moving to Ohio and Iowa this weekend.

No. But perhaps you were watching the Fox version wear they piped in canned applause.

I was watching the PBS version. For what its worth, the commentators are unanimous is saying it was a great speech, most commenting on the success at transforming the party's image and priorities, with at least one saying it was the best speech McCain has ever given.

EDIT: Mark Shields just chimed in to disagree. He says McCain gives better speeches when introducing others. He also calls the speech that of an insurgent throw-the-bums-out speech tather than that of a nominee.

I loee it! They're playing Barracuda! Palin's nickname!

Cease and Desist

ROCK GROUP HEART CONDEMN THE USE OF THE SONG BARRACUDA

AT THE REPUBLICAN CONVENTION

Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart have informed the McCain/Palin Campaign that

Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG have sent a cease-and-desist notice

to not use one of Heart's classic songs, "Barracuda," as the congratulatory

theme for Sarah Palin.

The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor

would they have been granted that permission.

"We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We

hope our wishes will be honored."

More

Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there.

I agree - he got stronger and stronger as he went on. By the end of it, I thought it was perhaps the best acceptance speech I had ever heard.

Totally surprised me. I've always thought of him as a stiff.

So you've only heard one acceptance speech in your life? Even the delegates in the crowd were yawning.

Funny moment, after he mentioned adult literacy, there was a shot of a delegate holding a sign that said "Mavrick".

We've been told McCain doesn't like to talk about his POW experience, but I've yet to hear a speech or interview where he doesn't find a way to mention it.

It's interesting how the Republicans praise Cindy McCain and Sarah Palin as great role models. I keep wondering what Republicans and their radio talking heads would be saying if Michelle Obama had been Barak's mistress, and he had cheated on his first wife with her, and if Joe Biden had a pregnant unwed teen daughter. "Are these the values we want leading our country?! This is what you get from the liberal social agenda!"

Hmmm...don't remember anarchists at Obama's speech at Mile High last week.

Reminds me of an old P.J. O'Rourke line about why you never see Republican protesters...because they have jobs.

Getting back to the speech; speaking from a teleprompter is not McCain's forte. He's best when he shoots from the hip, and I think the forum is not favorable to McCain's natural style.

There were tons of protestors at the DNC. They ruined every Hardball show the entire week!