Harsh media criticism of Sarah Palin

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I mean, honestly... if you've got to go to 'code words', then I'm completely missing it. Reading it at face value, I don't see it as whining, I see it as strong and defiant. There's no quote there asking people to stop being mean, or stop writing stories, or any other hallmark of 'whining'. In fact, to me, it sounds like she's telling the media to 'stick it'. That's not whining.

It must be true, Sean Hannity just said she's going after the media tonight. :angry: How exactly is complaining that, "if you're not part of the Washington elite, you are not qualified" sticking it to the media? Besides, I was really talking more of the campaign and all of its surrogates in lockstep on the sexist issue, and pulling that out on any criticism of her. And McCain himself canceling a CNN interview just because they didn't like the question of "Name one thing Palin did as Commander of the Alaska National Guard." after the campaign had been using that experience as reason she has foreign policy experience.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things she's saying tonight, which the McCain people gave to the press already, so it is news. Plus, I doubt she was implying in those clips that only Hilary should stop whining, but everyone else on her defense should be whining. She was saying, rightly or wrongly (and I think rightly) that just act strong and put them in their place and you will get farther. (Then, of course, tonight she starts whining)

The clip is said to be from during the Democratic convention, before she was named (and known).

As to the speech, the only release I can find is

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2...ins_speech.html

Only four blurbs, doesn't really strike me as whining, more like standard punches.

It must be true, Sean Hannity just said she's going after the media tonight. :angry: How exactly is complaining that, "if you're not part of the Washington elite, you are not qualified" sticking it to the media? Besides, I was really talking more of the campaign and all of its surrogates in lockstep on the sexist issue, and pulling that out on any criticism of her. And McCain himself canceling a CNN interview just because they didn't like the question of "Name one thing Palin did as Commander of the Alaska National Guard." after the campaign had been using that experience as reason she has foreign policy experience.

I didn't see any 'whining' in that speech. Again, we may have to agree to disagree, but I don't see any of this as 'whining'. She hit back pretty hard and showed a lot of toughness. She didn't complain about it, she said she didn't care what they thought "... do not seek their good opinion"

One of the things she's saying tonight, which the McCain people gave to the press already, so it is news. Plus, I doubt she was implying in those clips that only Hilary should stop whining, but everyone else on her defense should be whining. She was saying, rightly or wrongly (and I think rightly) that just act strong and put them in their place and you will get farther. (Then, of course, tonight she starts whining)

Yup. It was in there and very gratuitous. Could have easily conveyed the same message without the direct reference. You do imagine that professionals wrote her speech, which makes it doubly odd.

Yup. It was in there and very gratuitous. Could have easily conveyed the same message without the direct reference. You do imagine that professionals wrote her speech, which makes it doubly odd.

She was easily as nasty and brutal, and probably more, than the mainstream media has been to her. Looks like the gloves are off. Again, I thought she did great for what she was trying to do for her party, and giving the speech, and not buckling under the pressure. And I do think she has a great future. There were a pack of blatant lies in that speech, however. It may get ugly.

I particularly liked the Huckabee quip about her and Biden.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

Speaking of which, I just saw a sign held by a convention goer that said RAISIN MCCAIN. I agree is kinda shriveled. Not sure I would want that on the floor reinforcing how old he is.

Raisin McCain is the title of a country song that was written for him and he uses it on his campaign. Of course it could refer to getting him up after his naps.

She was easily as nasty and brutal, and probably more, than the mainstream media has been to her. Looks like the gloves are off. Again, I thought she did great for what she was trying to do for her party, and giving the speech, and not buckling under the pressure. And I do think she has a great future. There were a pack of blatant lies in that speech, however. It may get ugly.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE: Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

The mantra of Karl Rove. Go negative and go negative early. It's worked like a charm.

Yes, that line was a keeper!

You can add the United Steel Worker's Union to the list of who isn't that enamoured with Palin. She likes to float out there that her husband is a USW union member. The International President of USW wants her to stop.

Sarah Palin, explain yourself, or stop using the USW as a prop

Ms. Palin needs to stop trotting out her husband as an exhibit until she explains her positions on workers’ issues. Just exactly where does she stand on the Employee Free Choice Act?

Her family has benefitted from her husband’s ability to be part of a labor union. Workers in labor organizations earn higher wages and are more likely to have pensions and health insurance. Because he works for BP and is a member of the USW, which collectively bargained a good contract for workers at BP, Todd Palin earns a good wage and has good health insurance. The Employee Free Choice Act would make it easier for other Americans to join unions and earn better money and obtain health insurance. Polling shows that 70 percent of Americans support for the Employee Free Choice Act.

Inquiring minds want to know, Ms. Palin. Where do you stand on Employee Free Choice? Where do you stand on privatization of social security? Where do you stand on job-killing free trade?

Are you with McCain – and against workers – on these issues? If so, you need to stop using your husband’s membership in the USW as a prop, because then his union card cannot possibly cover up your or John McCain’s worker-savaging positions.

You can add the United Steel Worker's Union to the list of who isn't that enamoured with Palin. She likes to float out there that her husband is a USW union member. The International President of USW wants her to stop.

Sarah Palin, explain yourself, or stop using the USW as a prop

Nice. I mean, I'm pretty staunchly anti-union and don't agree with the USW...but it's nice to see them hammer on her (and do it very well, in fact) on actual issues rather than the bull sh-- I've been seeing the past several days.

As opposed to "John McCain has voted with George Bush 90% of the time - we don't need a President who is only right 10% of the time!"

A funny line is a funny line - get over it.

The difference of course is that your quoted line is factual, while her's was not, but people who don't take the time to scrutinize it will think it is.

The difference of course is that your quoted line is factual, while her's was not, but people who don't take the time to scrutinize it will think it is.

Factual except in as much as George Bush isn't a member of Congress and doesn't vote on legislation!!!!

!@#$ing retards. :thumbsup:

Raisin McCain is the title of a country song that was written for him and he uses it on his campaign. Of course it could refer to getting him up after his naps.

Yup, ironically written by a guy better known for his band "Big n Rich". So it's only natural he'd gravitate to the GOPigs

Its about time the evil media appologized!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13143.html

On behalf of the media, I would like to say we are sorry.

On behalf of the elite media, I would like to say we are very sorry.

We have asked questions this week that we should never have asked.

We have asked pathetic questions like: Who is Sarah Palin? What is her record? Where does she stand on the issues? And is she is qualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency?

We have asked mean questions like: How well did John McCain know her before he selected her? How well did his campaign vet her? And was she his first choice?

Bad questions. Bad media. Bad.

But where did we go wrong with Sarah Palin? Let me count the ways:

First, we should have stuck to the warm, human interest stuff like how she likes mooseburgers and hit an important free throw at her high school basketball tournament even though she had a stress fracture.

Second, we should have stuck to the press release stuff like how she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere (after she supported it).

Third, we should never have strayed into the other stuff. Like when The Washington Post recently wrote: “Palin is under investigation by a bipartisan state legislative body. … Palin had promised to cooperate with the legislative inquiry, but this week she hired a lawyer to fight to move the case to the jurisdiction of the state personnel board, which Palin appoints.”

Why go there? What trees does that plant?

Fourth, we should stop making with all the questions already. She gave a really good speech. And why go beyond that? As we all know, speeches cannot be written by others and rehearsed for days. They are true windows to the soul.