Unpredictable defense

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3961

UNPREDICTABLE DEFENSE: In the spring defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said that he had made his defensive scheme more complex, feeling he could put more on the plate of his players now in year three of the system.

SS Donte Whitner confirmed today that the scheme is more varied which will make Buffalo's defense far more unpredictable than it has been. And some of the tidbits that Whitner provided leave me very intrigued to see just what they put out on the field Sunday. Here's what he had to say.

"With the additions we've made this offseason it will allow us to play some man-to-man in the secondary and get pressure up front. We're going to do a lot of different things. It is complex. We’ve added a lot of things. I wouldn't call us only a Tampa-2 defense. Now we have a couple of things mixed in from different systems, with some 3-4, 4-3, some zone blitz, some Tampa-2, some quarters (coverage). A lot of different things we're playing now so we're not so predictable and teams don't know where we're coming from and what we're doing."

I have to admit that a 3-4 look didn't cross my mind, but with a player like Stroud to put at the nose and a player like Spencer Johnson who could handle playing end in a 3-4, I think the Bills would be capable of rolling that look out there if they wanted to in a given week. Donte's comment really got me eager to see just what the defense has in store for this season.

Any speculation as to how far they really go with this? All talk?

I've been impressed with how Fewell has coached an undermanned defense (much like how I've felt with Jauron and the team as a whole) and now at least on paper I think he has the players to do more. This has the makings of the strongest secondary I've seen in a while.

I think it all comes back to Stroud though. If he is a force in the middle I think you will see Fewell become more comfortable with really letting things fly.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3961

Any speculation as to how far they really go with this? All talk?

I can see the 3-4 work in given situations. Stroud at DT Combo of Williams/McCargo/Spencer at dend. This is also what I was saying in a previous post out of the 3-4 you could use guys like Schobel or Ellis as a rush backer. On paper the players are there to make it work. I'm really looking foward to seeing the defense as a whole this year. Although I still think we're 1 pass rusher and 1 dt away from an elite unit. With that said. It should be a better defense then what we've seen the previous few seasons.

I've been impressed with how Fewell has coached an undermanned defense (much like how I've felt with Jauron and the team as a whole) and now at least on paper I think he has the players to do more. This has the makings of the strongest secondary I've seen in a while.

I think it all comes back to Stroud though. If he is a force in the middle I think you will see Fewell become more comfortable with really letting things fly.

Not to mention health....this defense can be good (maybe even better) provided everyone stays on the field.