(ot) Take your whine elsewhere, South Korea

The error was that the degree of difficulty of the koreans routine was entered at the wrong value into the calculation.  So his score was mulitplied by (for instance) 4.5 instead of 4.6. 

He lost because the wrong number was used.  They use a book that identifies which value should be used and they wrote down the wrong number.

The appeals court did not rule on the merits of the case, but refused ONLY because the appeal was filed 2 hours too late. Hamm won by default.

Ah the two greatest words in the english language... De fault! ,  de fault!- Homer Simpson- 1994

79064[/snapback]

It was a start value. The problem was, and I get this from a golf buddy who is an elite level gymnastics coach, the start value was listed as a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 that the Koreans thought. The other problem was the Korean had 7 release moves where only 5 are permitted, so he should have actually received 2/10th start value less for each extra release move. So as my friend said, yes the routine deserved a 9.8 with 4/10th dedution immediately.

The true "olympic spirit" thing to do would have been for Hamm to offer to share the gold. I guess I just want to see athletes who represent our country represent the best in sportsmanship. As I said earlier, if he would have said" a mistake was made, we are both champions", he would have been considered one of Americas GREATEST Olympic heros. Would that have been the easy thing to do...? No, but that's what would have made him such a hero. Now to me and many others he seems like a whinny child (in tights).

79143[/snapback]

Hamm didn't have the option to "share" the gold. The only option was to give it up, which I don't see why he should have bothered doing it.

I don't see why some people are viewing Hamm as whiny...it's the South Koreans that are doing all the whining. Had they corrected their mistake in time, we might not even be having this discussion. If he had given up his medal, I'd just consider him stupid...not a hero. I suppose you'd say Bill Belichick would be a hero if he came clean about the cheating Pats.

Hey you've got your Koreas mixed up, this was South Korea, their on our side, we should only be unsportsmanlike and unfair to the bad guys.... you know like NORTH Korea and Iran and France and countries like that,

79148[/snapback]

i don't give a crap where they're from

if it were another American, I'd say the same thing

Hamm didn't have the option to "share" the gold. The only option was to give it up, which I don't see why he should have bothered doing it.

I don't see why some people are viewing Hamm as whiny...it's the South Koreans that are doing all the whining. Had they corrected their mistake in time, we might not even be having this discussion. If he had given up his medal, I'd just consider him stupid...not a hero. I suppose you'd say Bill Belichick would be a hero if he came clean about the cheating Pats.

79169[/snapback]

He could have "offered" to share the gold. Then he is immediatly off the hook and the IOC or Gymnastic federation is left looking bad. But he NEVER stepped forward and tried to take anything resembling this approach.

And again, this is Olympic sport, not the NFL, you can't compare the 2. The Olympics are supposed to (I know its dreaming) represent the ultimate in fair play.

I think he's whinny because every time I've seen him interviewed he sounds like my 6 year old (voice wise) and to paraphrase says "mine, mine, mine".

i don't give a crap where they're from

if it were another American, I'd say the same thing

79172[/snapback]

I was only kidding about the korea thing. No personal offense intended. Kind of a rip on the 4 or 5 regulars on this board that believe he (the Korean) should lose simply because of what country he's from. :blush:

It was a start value.  The problem was, and I get this from a golf buddy who is an elite level gymnastics coach, the start value was listed as a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 that the Koreans thought.  The other problem was the Korean had 7 release moves where only 5 are permitted, so he should have actually received 2/10th start value less for each extra release move.  So as my friend said, yes the routine deserved a 9.8 with 4/10th dedution immediately.

79157[/snapback]

Exactamundo.

There is payback, even in the Olympics. Remember when Roy Jones got royally screwed over in Seoul when he pummeled a South Korean boxer and the Korean "won"? Turnabout is fair play.

I think he's whinny because every time I've seen him interviewed he sounds like my 6 year old (voice wise) and to paraphrase says "mine, mine, mine".

79186[/snapback]

his voice is alarmingly high for such a muscle bound guy

in fact, my fiance pointed out that most of them are like that...a bunch of soprano voiced guys with huge arms and chests

It was a start value.  The problem was, and I get this from a golf buddy who is an elite level gymnastics coach, the start value was listed as a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 that the Koreans thought.  The other problem was the Korean had 7 release moves where only 5 are permitted, so he should have actually received 2/10th start value less for each extra release move.  So as my friend said, yes the routine deserved a 9.8 with 4/10th dedution immediately.

79157[/snapback]

That is correct, but as to the previous post that was quoted, this start value is not simply looked up in a book. There are standards by which these start values are calculated, but it is not some perfunctory number look-up. There is room for subjective as well as objective error every time they perform an assessment of the start value. Of course, like any referee, they are trained to apply the rules and are expected to get the right value. But it is not unusual for errors to be made.

In fact, I heard an interview with a gymnastics coach who said they srew up the assessment of these numbers commonly. That as a result, every team has (or at least any team that knows what it means to compete on an International level) has what THEY believe their start values to be already figured out and on paper. If the value the officials assess does not match what they have (and particularly if they are assessed a lower number), they are prepared to protest immediately. Thus, the fact that the Koreans did not do so is even more unforgiveable. EVERYBODY knows this!!

There's nothing more pathetic that a 4'2" guy in tights, jumping up and down and yelling (in a squeeky little voice) "MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!"

Something for all Americans to be proud of

79049[/snapback]

Man you nailed it squarely on the head.

Guest Willie Esco
He could have "offered" to share the gold. Then he is immediatly off the hook and the IOC or Gymnastic federation is left looking bad. But he NEVER stepped forward and tried to take anything resembling this approach.

And again, this is Olympic sport, not the NFL, you can't compare the 2. The Olympics are supposed to (I know its dreaming) represent the ultimate in fair play.

79186[/snapback]

Offered to share the gold? :D Man, get outta here with that pollyanna bullcrap. :unsure:

It's not Paul Hamm's job to judge the competition. He went, did his thing and at the end of the day, was named the gold medalist. If the judges screwed up, that sucks for the S. Korean, but it's over. It'll teach him a valuable lesson, life ain't fair and it sucks sometimes.

So now Hamm has every right to say "mine, mine, mine", b/c now it's "his, his his."lol lol

Paul Hamm, just do your thing kid, b/c now you got scoreboard.

Follow the Ducats gentlemen. There are a lot more benjamins for Paul if he is the gold medal winner. No one gives a **** about the silver or bronze. If I was Paul, I'd tell the Koreans to either fork over some cashola or shove it. What's Hamm going to do after the Olympics? Professional gymnastics? Geeks on ice? Please, he wants to cash in some endorsements that will not come around ever again. Follow the cash, the Olympic "ideal" of sportsmanship died when they allowed professional athletes to compete.

RunTheBall