Don't agree with everything he says, but decent read

Beerball

The decision to stick with Trent Edwards at QB is an iffy one. Aside from one nice outing against a horrid Miami defense, Edwards did very little to move the ball, and the threat of the deep pass completely went away. You might be surprised to learn that deposed starter Losman was much more accurate (63% to 56%) and notched a better yards per attempt figure than Edwards. The final 4 games aren’t pretty: 49-112, 583 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs. Consider that 4 of those TD passes came against MIA and that he was sacked just 3 times in those four games (all in one half against the Giants); rookie or not, those are simply unacceptable numbers for an NFL QB. It can’t be encouraging that Edwards got worse the more he played. Watching Edwards reminded me of watching Joey Harrington, only without Joey’s arm strength. Surely Head Coach Dick Jauron has seen this movie before--he coached Harrington in Detroit and lived to tell about it. Losman is certainly more prone to err and throw the terrible INT, and he’s not above questioning authority, but he offers the threat of hitting Evans downfield for the big play. That opens up the underneath for Roscoe Parrish, who often looked like a Porsche in a school zone while defenses crowded the shorter routes with Edwards at the controls. The more conservative style suits a team with a strong TE, but Robert Royal has just 48 catches the last two years and there is nothing behind him with Derek Schouman banged up. Perhaps Edwards will make a leap forward and prove me wrong, but with no Peters and learning a new offense, I wouldn’t get too confident. Look up at the point differential and turnover ratio stats; to finish with that awful a point ratio with such a fine turnover margin screams that the offense simply isn’t up to snuff. Other than adding one WR and subtracting the best lineman, this is the same group that floundered last season. I just don’t see much margin for error or improvement

^ Wow. I agree with some of what hes saying there (still think he should start) but our season hinges on the holy one, not that LT IMO

We all know the best NFL QB's step onto the field and light it up. If you don't throw for 300 yds and 4 TD's game one, you're never going to do it. So if JP is 2 percentage points more accurate than Edwards, why in god's name isn't he the starter? <_<

Will this tired argument ever end?

PTR

We all know the best NFL QB's step onto the field and light it up. If you don't throw for 300 yds and 4 TD's game one, you're never going to do it. So if JP is 2 percentage points more accurate than Edwards, why in god's name isn't he the starter? <_<

PTR

All the writer is saying and alot of poeple on this board are saying the same thing is we want consistency. Which is something both our QBs lack last season. I also said i want Edwardo to start, no controversy but he better show up each week. I said it in another thread this team cannot afford the growing pains. We have the easiest schedule in years and a much improved team on all 3 sides of the ball if we start off 0-2 we have to make those two games up like the article said against Denver and NE. Personally id rather not make that late season run and see our playoff chances as "in the hunt" each week. Lets take the damn division by the throat week one and never let up!

In my eyes that all depends on Trent. I hope to hell he can do it but that article does bring up concerns.

PTR

Yes, when the season ends and JP is a free-agent. Well, maybe not. Look at the Drury/Briere thing last year with the Sabres....

One thing I disagree about and so far looks like he biggest addition (basically addition by subtraction) is the last line, they also changed OC, and so far Turks offence looks like it may be enough to turn the offence into atleast a respectable one

For me that was the main preseason learning. We played with rythm, we did move people around (not just say that we would), we did take advantage of match-ups.

rookie or not, those are simply unacceptable numbers for an NFL QB

I don't think you can dismiss the fact that he was a rookie that easily. Very rarely does a rookie QB, even a first round pick, come into the league and post great numbers. I don't know if TE will ever be a star in this league, but I do know that Fairchild babied him so much last year, that putting up big numbers was almost impossible. With a less predictable and conservative offense, we should be able to see if he's going to make it in this league pretty quick.

I don't think you can dismiss the fact that he was a rookie that easily. Very rarely does a rookie QB, even a first round pick, come into the league and post great numbers. I don't know if TE will ever be a star in this league, but I do know that Fairchild babied him so much last year, that putting up big numbers was almost impossible. With a less predictable and conservative offense, we should be able to see if he's going to make it in this league pretty quick.

Agree with that i hope your right

The decision to stick with Trent Edwards at QB is an iffy one. Aside from one nice outing against a horrid Miami defense, Edwards did very little to move the ball, and the threat of the deep pass completely went away. You might be surprised to learn that deposed starter Losman was much more accurate (63% to 56%) and notched a better yards per attempt figure than Edwards. The final 4 games aren’t pretty: 49-112, 583 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs. Consider that 4 of those TD passes came against MIA and that he was sacked just 3 times in those four games (all in one half against the Giants); rookie or not, those are simply unacceptable numbers for an NFL QB. It can’t be encouraging that Edwards got worse the more he played. Watching Edwards reminded me of watching Joey Harrington, only without Joey’s arm strength. Surely Head Coach Dick Jauron has seen this movie before--he coached Harrington in Detroit and lived to tell about it. Losman is certainly more prone to err and throw the terrible INT, and he’s not above questioning authority, but he offers the threat of hitting Evans downfield for the big play. That opens up the underneath for Roscoe Parrish, who often looked like a Porsche in a school zone while defenses crowded the shorter routes with Edwards at the controls. The more conservative style suits a team with a strong TE, but Robert Royal has just 48 catches the last two years and there is nothing behind him with Derek Schouman banged up. Perhaps Edwards will make a leap forward and prove me wrong, but with no Peters and learning a new offense, I wouldn’t get too confident. Look up at the point differential and turnover ratio stats; to finish with that awful a point ratio with such a fine turnover margin screams that the offense simply isn’t up to snuff. Other than adding one WR and subtracting the best lineman, this is the same group that floundered last season. I just don’t see much margin for error or improvement

Your argument hinges on the last four games of the season. Don't forget that two of those games were played in some of the worst weather in Buffalo football history. Trent's stats from those two games were horrible, as were the stats from the other teams' QBs. Fairchild's play calling hurt Edwards in those two games: there were timing routes when receivers were slipping/going slower in the snow.

Edwards had nine starts last year, two of which were those games. Take away those two games, and his stats look a bit better than Losman's. That's not bad for a rookie, and I expect him to improve in his second year.

All the writer is saying and alot of poeple on this board are saying the same thing is we want consistency. Which is something both our QBs lack last season. I also said i want Edwardo to start, no controversy but he better show up each week.

Holy all inclusive Batman!!!

You want consistency every week from Trent (but no controversy) after 9 starts. If he falters, what do we do? Put in JP, who was inconsistent for 4 years? Ya think? :huh:

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Holy all inclusive Batman!!!

You want consistency every week from Trent (but no controversy) after 9 starts. If he falters, what do we do? Put in JP, who was inconsistent for 4 years? Ya think? :huh:

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

I gotta get that pesky little scratch fixed on my Bill from NYC vinyl. It keeps going back to "JP", "defensive backs", and "Jason Peters" over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

With a less predictable and conservative offense, we should be able to see if he's going to make it in this league pretty quick.

Well, let's see....Trent hs 9 statrs, but we should know "pretty quick" if he is going to make it in this league. OK.

JP has 4 years of mostly futility. Based on the above, is JP going to make it in this league? When will we know?

I gotta get that pesky little scratch fixed on my Bill from NYC vinyl. It keeps going back to "JP", "defensive backs", and "Jason Peters" over and over and over and over and over and over and over......

But Rich, do you read this stuff? The guy is supposed to be Roger Staubach consistent after 9 starts. He has to bring it "every week." :huh:

You are right mind you but Jeez!!! :thumbsup:

^ Wow. I agree with some of what hes saying there (still think he should start) but our season hinges on the holy one, not that LT IMO

Wow this tool forgot to mention who the OC was last year! :huh:

All the QB's sucked because of that one and just that one "coach".

Lame attempt at journalism. :thumbsup:

Well, let's see....Trent hs 9 statrs, but we should know "pretty quick" if he is going to make it in this league. OK.

JP has 4 years of mostly futility. Based on the above, is JP going to make it in this league? When will we know?

Well, let's see...Yes, we should know pretty quick this season, probably around 6 or 7 games, if he will be a good fit in Turk's offense. I didn't say to give up on him if he struggles! But if he's going to be a good QB in this league, he will show signs early on. That all went along with my rookie comment about the original article. But of course you omitted that part to better fit your argument. I can see why so many people bash you on this board, very confrontational and pretty much come across as an a$$. Sorry man...I am rooting for Trent and hope he proves to be a good QB for a very long time, but I am done with JP...GO BILLS!!!

I love how we measure Edwards by starts, and Losman by "years." Thats completely fair, considering he missed his rookie year. :thumbsup:

But Rich, do you read this stuff?

Do I have to?

The guy is supposed to be Roger Staubach consistent after 9 starts. He has to bring it "every week." :huh:

You are right mind you but Jeez!!! :thumbsup:

Is he any different than any player on a team that is starved for a measure of success? Of course people put ridiculously (and, perhaps, unattainable) high standards on this team and its' players. I'm not saying it's right, just saying that it's bound to happen.