Who Should Have Been The First Pick In 2006?

Steely Dan

Wich One?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Have Been The #1 Pick In 2006?

• Reggie Bush
    • Mario Williams
    • Other, explain.

I'm just curious because everyone jumped all over Houston for passing on Bush and right now I'd say that Williams was the right pick. Bush doesn't look like he can handle the load on his own. So in hindsight who do you think should have been the #1 pick?

An argument can definitely be made for Jay Cutler too.

BTW, Reggie Bush is dating Kim Kardashian. Just thought it a curious fact. New Orleans and Hollywood being so far apart.

I'm just curious because everyone jumped all over Houston for passing on Bush and right now I'd say that Williams was the right pick. Bush doesn't look like he can handle the load on his own. So in hindsight who do you think should have been the #1 pick?

An argument can definitely be made for Jay Cutler too.

BTW, Reggie Bush is dating Kim Kardashian. Just thought it a curious fact. New Orleans and Hollywood being so far apart.

Everyone? Careful with that ...

BUFFALO BILLS (3-6) at HOUSTON TEXANS (3-6)

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2006 – 1:00 PM ET

RELIANT STADIUM, HOUSTON TEXAS

<snip>

DEFENSE (#27 total yardage, #26 rushing, #20 passing, #22 scoring):

One of the first moves new head coach Gary Kubiak made upon arrival was to scrap Dom Capers’ beloved 3-4 defense for a traditional 4-3 set. But with 2005 first-rounder Travis Johnson joining fellow DT Seth Payne on I.R., DE Antwan Peek scheduled to miss a couple of weeks with a sprained MCL, and #1 overall pick Mario Williams playing through a painful case of plantar fasciitis, the Texans are scrambling to fill holes on the defensive line. Former Redskin DT Cedric Killings was signed on Tuesday; he joins a rotation that includes Lional Dalton and former practice-squadder Anthony Maddox. DEs Anthony Weaver and N.D. Kalu can also shift inside if necessary. (In fact, Weaver started several games at tackle earlier in the season, with Jason Babin filling in at left end.)

Houston was roundly mocked by the ‘experts’ for not using that #1 pick on Reggie Bush, but anyone who spent much time watching the team’s poor excuse for a pass rush – Jeff Posey’s eight sack-season in 2002 remains the franchise record – understood the emphasis on improving a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league last season. Williams got off to a slow start at RDE, but is starting to show signs of his massive potential; his team-leading 4.5 sacks include takedowns in three consecutive games.

The Texans are better with Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels at QB and Mario Williams at DE than they would have been with Cutler and ... Anthony Weaver? Jason Babin? Antwan Peek? trying to rush the passer.

So, based on Houston's needs at the time, my answer remains the same.

I understood that at the time, Houston felt they were adequate at RB and really needed help on the defensive side, so a lot of people understood and basically said, "why would you pick a luxery pick when your defense needs help?"

What I never understood, was after they took Mario, why it was okay for New Orleans to take Bush when they already had McAllister and their defense was, and still is, beyond putrid? Why was that okay? Why was it not okay for Houston to do? Why didn't anyone jump all over New Orleans?

I understood that at the time, Houston felt they were adequate at RB and really needed help on the defensive side, so a lot of people understood and basically said, "why would you pick a luxery pick when your defense needs help?"

What I never understood, was after they took Mario, why it was okay for New Orleans to take Bush when they already had McAllister and their defense was, and still is, beyond putrid? Why was that okay? Why was it not okay for Houston to do? Why didn't anyone jump all over New Orleans?

actually, I thought it was a dumb idea myself

Domanick Davis. Very promising young runner and popular fantasy pick for a couple years....whatever happen to him?

Screwed up his knee.

I, too, thought Mario was the right pick at the time.

Vince Young would have been a good pick too, simply because of the hometown factor and ticket sales.

Lot of Texans fans thought so too, especially after he kicked ass in his first trip back to Houston.

Mario. You can count me as one that I thought it was the wrong pick...that the Texans needed a "face of the franchise" in Reggie Bush. Largely because I can't name five players for the Houston Texans.

Now, I can admit that I was wrong. Mario has had a better career to date.

This pick, and the success Mario has had, is why I'm not a football executive. <_<

It's hard to say they went wrong with Mario. He's been dynamic, especially last season.

It's easy to knock Bush because he's not averaging the 8.7 yds/carry that he did in college. But in the two-back system his rookie year (coming from a two-back system in college) he was legit...His 80+ catches out of the backfield was record-setting. He's not going to be a 25-carry smashmouth guy, but I don't think any NFL team expected him to be. He can add a dimension that drives DC's crazy, we'll see if he can be more explosive again this year with McAllister back. (Also, watching Bush struggle makes you appreciate just how good Brian Westbrook is in Philly.)

Vince Young continues to confound...Somehow winning while having some disgusting stretches of quarterbacking.

I thought Williams was a good pick (though I probably would've gone with Bush if I was the Texans) and I'd say today that Williams is the right choice.

I think public perception had a lot to do with the Saints picking Reggie Bush. Keep in mind they were coming off a disaster of a season spent travelling city to city looking for a home field because of Hurricane Katrina. The Saints were looking for anything that could spark some life into their franchise because they desperately needed it. Reggie Bush was that spark, he was flashy, a bonifide star (not to question his skills as a player, he just has "star-quality") and he embraced New Orleans. If you were to ask any Saints fan, I would bet that not one would disagree with the Bush pick.

I think public perception had a lot to do with the Saints picking Reggie Bush. Keep in mind they were coming off a disaster of a season spent travelling city to city looking for a home field because of Hurricane Katrina. The Saints were looking for anything that could spark some life into their franchise because they desperately needed it. Reggie Bush was that spark, he was flashy, a bonifide star (not to question his skills as a player, he just has "star-quality") and he embraced New Orleans. If you were to ask any Saints fan, I would bet that not one would disagree with the Bush pick.

I think that's a little presumptuous. The Saints brought in Drew Brees that year. He was the new franchise QB, the face of N.O. that offseason. He was their spark. They also drafted Marques Colston that year out of nowhere. They already had Deuce McAllister (when he was still good) but their defense sucked. It still sucks. When Deuce went out last year, their #2 pick overall in Bush, couldn't even handle the load. They had to rely on Aaron Stecker and Pierre Thomas. A little ridiculous to pick a 3rd down/receiver type back with the number 2 pick in the first round. His greatest strength is working swing passes out of the backfield, com'on. They drafted in that spot for a reason - they had a ton of holes to fill. I just think it was the wrong move, for the same reasons it was the wrong move for the Texans to draft him.

You do know this thread is about who should have been first pick in that draft and it was owned by Houston. :thumbsup: