Book Collecting

Chef Jim

Does anyone here collect rare books? I have a few and one I just looked up online and was quite shocked to see that it was worth over $600.

H.P. Lovecraft: A Life

the trade paperback is darnn scarce, this is darnn darnn scarce scarce, bit of discolouration to page edges, a couple of page corners turned down,

My copy has not been opened (I bought a paperback shortly after getting this one) and has been in a zip lock bag since I bought it.

This one's my pride and joy

Mine doesn't have the dust jacket but this one's going for $1750 with a facsimile dust jacket that I could probably find online. My wife bought it for me for $300 probably 10 years ago.

Anyone else have any rare books?

No.

But, if you enjoy reading mystery and something about rare books... You might like this book:

Booked To Die

Denver cop and rare book collector Cliff Janeway is introduced in this engrossing whodunit from two-time Edgar nominee Dunning. A sensitive and introspective sort, Janeway chafes in the hard-edged role of law enforcer so often demanded of him. When a down-on-his-luck book scout named Bobby Westfall is murdered, Cliff at first suspects local thug and personal nemesis Jackie Newton. Newton's girlfriend, a victim of physical abuse, makes Cliff more determined than ever to nail Newton. Sensitivity notwithstanding, he goes after his quarry with both fists cocked and both barrels aimed, neglecting any semblance of correct police procedure. This ironic twist shapes the plot as Janeway delves further into his city's antiquarian book trade, whose practitioners display an expertise exceeded only by their greed. Crisp, direct prose and nearly pitch-perfect dialogue enhance this meticulously detailed page-turner. Mystery Guild alternate; paperback rights to Avon.

Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Does anyone here collect rare books? I have a few and one I just looked up online and was quite shocked to see that it was worth over $600.

H.P. Lovecraft: A Life

My copy has not been opened (I bought a paperback shortly after getting this one) and has been in a zip lock bag since I bought it.

This one's my pride and joy

Mine doesn't have the dust jacket but this one's going for $1750 with a facsimile dust jacket that I could probably find online. My wife bought it for me for $300 probably 10 years ago.

Anyone else have any rare books?

I have a 1st printing of all the "Bloom County" books. That, and $1 should get me a cup of coffee at Dunkin. :devil:

Lovecraft? Why does that not surprise me?

(Kidding ... and I used to have a "Campus Crusade for Cthulhu" t-shirt in college.)

I've got a few, mostly SF, although probably not anything approaching that price range. Of course, the signed/personalized copy of I, Robot isn't for sale at any price.

Where is the drool smiley?

Lovecraft & Asimov(my favourite author)......I can only dream.

I'd love to collect rare books......I can only manage to keep up with latest releases that I like.

One day....sigh.....

Where is the drool smiley?

Lovecraft & Asimov(my favourite author)......I can only dream.

I'd love to collect rare books......I can only manage to keep up with latest releases that I like.

One day....sigh.....

The book itself is merely a 1970s-era trade paperback. The ink on the title page, and the memory of spending a few seconds with the Grand Master as he inscribed it, will be cherished forever. Hard to imagine that (Philcon 86) was over 20 years ago ...

The book itself is merely a 1970s-era trade paperback. The ink on the title page, and the memory of spending a few seconds with the Grand Master as he inscribed it, will be cherished forever. Hard to imagine that (Philcon 86) was over 20 years ago ...

It was a very sad day for me when Asimov died. I truly envy you for the 'few seconds' you had with him.....and the keepsake. I would have loved to have met him.......he really is my favourite author of all time.

(Kidding ... and I used to have a "Campus Crusade for Cthulhu" t-shirt in college.)

I've got a few, mostly SF, although probably not anything approaching that price range. Of course, the signed/personalized copy of I, Robot isn't for sale at any price.

Where's the "envy" smiley when you need it?

IA was an incredible author. His non-fiction work was equal (or superior) to his sci-fi.

I am slowly working on getting all of Asimov's Robot/Empire/Foundation series (30+ books) in hard copy. Not to collect, to read over and over. *-) I gave up on collecting a while ago. I want to READ the book, not look at it. I understand the "collector mentality" though. :devil:

Too bad the Will Smith movie and the pap starring Robin Williams is the best Hollywood can do to the robot stories. Hell, the entire premise Asimov had on robots and the Frankenstein complex was destroyed by that movie. :devil: