Prediction time

Justice

Now that I've had a chance to see the Bills play in the pre-season I'd have to say that the Bills are even harder now to gauge after having seen them play.

Trent Edwards hasn't played in a live game since week two in the pre-season and I fear that he will be a little rusty. On the positive side, at least his performance in that game he did play in was phenomenal. I still have some questions about Trent that haven't been answered yet thus far in the off-season. Is his arm strength improved over last year? Is he ready to lead?

Our offensive line is in a state of flux thanks to Jason Peters' nasty hold-out. I fear that Langston Walker will need help, especially against speed rushers, and that will hinder Lynch's ability to help on the offensive side of the ball instead of pass blocking. That in turn will have a negative impact on the whole offense.

The defense is in much better shape than they were last year. Stroud, Mitchell and Pos will help stop the run and the pass defense looks like they are in good hands. Whitner looks like he's ready for the next level. My one concern is the pass rush. I haven't seen anything from our pass rushers this pre-season to believe they have the makings of a formidable pass rush.

Will Lynch have room to run? Can Hardy make an impact? How rusty is Ko Simpson? Can Youboty play this well in the regular season?

I have a ton of questions, but I will try to make a prediction anyways.

DAY DATE OPPONENT TV TIME/RECAP

Sun. 9/7 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

The Bills will win this one and cover the spread (whatever it is) while doing it. 1-0

Sun. 9/14 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Tough one here. The Bills go down swinging. 1-1

Sun. 9/21 OAKLAND RAIDERS

Bills win a close one. 2-1

Sun. 9/28 @ St. Louis Rams

Bills win this one too. 3-1

Sun. 10/5 @ Arizona Cardinals

Buffalo can win this one but I have a feeling they don't. 3-2

BYE 10/12 BYE BYE

Sun. 10/19 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Bills lose two in a row. Chargers are too good. 3-3

Sun. 10/26 @ Miami Dolphins

Just the opponent you need when you're on a two game losing streak. 4-3

Sun. 11/2 NEW YORK JETS

Bills always win at least against once and Favre struggles in Buffalo. 5-3

Sun. 11/9 @ New England Patriots

Some things never change. 5-4

Mon. 11/17 CLEVELAND BROWNS ESPN 8:30 PM

Primetime at the Ralph? Bills win this one. 6-4

Sun. 11/23 @ Kansas City Chiefs

Bills win easy. Chiefs are one of the worst teams in the league. 7-4

Sun. 11/30 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Bills are in a zone. We win this one just barely. 8-4

Sun. 12/7 MIAMI DOLPHINS (Toronto)

This one makes 4 wins in a row. 9-4

Sun. 12/14 @ New York Jets

Bills lose this one. Thank You for unretiring, Favre. 9-5

Sun. 12/21 @ Denver Broncos

Bills don't play well at Denver. 9-6

Sun. 12/28 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Bills end their skid with a win against the Pats. NE will rest their guys for this one. 10-6

There you have it. Buffalo finish the season 10 & 6. I hope this record will be good enough to get us in the playoffs.

<snip>

Sun. 12/21 @ Denver Broncos

Bills don't play well at Denver. 9-6

Sun. 12/28 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Bills end their skid with a win against the Pats. NE will rest their guys for this one. 9-7

There you have it. Buffalo finish the season 9 & 7. I hope this record will be good enough to get us in the playoffs.

Your math's a little off. A win vs. NE* makes your prediction 10-6.

Now that I've had a chance to see the Bills play in the pre-season I'd have to say that the Bills are even harder now to gauge after having seen them play.....

There you have it. Buffalo finish the season 9 & 7. I hope this record will be good enough to get us in the playoffs.

The Bills have adopted a bad habit of losing games they should, and are, winning (Dallas). And they continue a bad trend of committing game-killing penalties, as if the blatant conspiriacy of zebras throwing bogus flags that even leave announcers speechless wasn't enough. Buffalo has to adopt a "Take No Prisoners" approach and start finding ways to WIN games instead of finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They need to return to the "Relentless" attitude of the 90's, when JK, FR and company absolutely, flat out refused to lose (Houston).

Unless the attitude changes, the results most likely won't, either. The Bills are better on paper, but that doesn't mean much. Dr. Fishfinder's programming axiom is, "All programs work on paper". 8-8 or 9-7 is a realistic scenario.

My one concern is the pass rush. I haven't seen anything from our pass rushers this pre-season to believe they have the makings of a formidable pass rush.

I agree with most of this, but you can't really judge their pass rush, or lack thereof, on the preseason games. Combined with lack of game planning, teams rarely show their blitzing schemes before September.