McCain's pick -- political ploy, not a maverick

A maverick would not pick a VP based on pure political expediency. A strong argument can be made that McCain's pick is the among the most politically pandering VP pick, ever.

His biggest decision to date was to pick someone who could/should be president and for the life of me it's hard to imagine this is the best choice, or even in the top 10. Hell, if he wanted a woman, what about Kay Bailey Hutcheson?

The most disturbing fact is that McCain met her once in February 2008. Once. How can you make the most important decision to date after meeting someone one time? Does he really know Palin? Doubtful. That alone should send shivers down even the most ardent McCain backer.

A maverick would not pick a VP based on pure political expediency. A strong argument can be made that McCain's pick is the among the most politically pandering VP pick, ever.

His biggest decision to date was to pick someone who could/should be president and for the life of me it's hard to imagine this is the best choice, or even in the top 10. Hell, if he wanted a woman, what about Kay Bailey Hutcheson?

The most disturbing fact is that McCain met her once in February 2008. Once. How can you make the most important decision to date after meeting someone one time? Does he really know Palin? Doubtful. That alone should send shivers down even the most ardent McCain backer.

A story is now emerging that McCain really wanted to pick Lieberman as his VP but the far right wingers went nuts. There were even threats of a floor fight at the RNC to oppose him if he in fact was chosen. Now he's being lauded as a "maverick" again for caving to his party.

Personally I would have loved to have seen him pick Lieberman and tell his party "FU, I'm going to win this election with or without you". That guy I would have supported.

A large amount of criticism that Bush has gotten, some rightfully so (Meiers, Rumsfeld) has been that he surrounds himself w/ cronies and doesn't look for the best person for the job. Now McCain is getting criticized for not choosing a crony.

People are regularly hired after an HR department and others have vetted a job candidate and the hiring manager has only limited 1st hand experience w/ the candidate. Hiring managers rarely "really know" their hiree. Even when they are hiring their buddy they don't necessarily "know" the person. McCain apparently trusts that his staff have vetted her. How good a job they did on that will come out over the next 2 months. McCain isn't the final hiring manager either, the electorate is. If she is as horrible a hire as you appear to believe, McCain most likely won't get hired himself.

Was Palin the best choice? Time will tell. If McCain wants to make the focus of his campaign government reform, to counter Obama's "change" message; at 1st glance it does look like a good choice. Based on the info that has been mentioned about her, she appears to have far more experience at reforming government (read: challenging entrenched politicians) than the other VP options McCain had available to him.

As the Guiness commercial states.. I think McCains pick for all the reasons stated is "Brilliant" :thumbsup::wacko: