Demitrius Bell wants a new contract...

VJ91

Minutes after finding out he made the 53 man roster, Bell hired Eugene Parker and left Orchard Park. Parker did not return calls, and the only word from Bell came from a text message he sent Xavier Omon stating he already misses the team and really loves football. Omon guarantees Bell will stay in shape while he's gone.

:thumbsup:

Yep it is unfortunate for Petered out that he was nominated for the probowl and then got injured; he can have a crying session with Andre Reed about contracts. It would be Mickey Mouse stupid to sign him to another extension when Bills have not even seen he was able to recover.

He may point out that to make this fantasy thread fit reality that:

1. Bell would have made the Pro Bowl

2. Bell would have started out at the beginning of camp not as an OL player but as a player who was respected at another position who made the jump to OL.

3. Rather than starting from Bell's late draft pick contract his base salary would be that of a UDFA

4. Bell would have packed three years of steadily improving play into his pre-season.

5. Rather than being drafted Bell would have been a UDFA.

Outside of these trivial facts the situation makes this lampoon legit because they both are the same.

I'm normally a Pyrite Gal fan, but no reason to turn a joke thread into another serious Peters thread. BOOO!

Minutes after finding out he made the 53 man roster, Bell hired Eugene Parker and left Orchard Park. Parker did not return calls, and the only word from Bell came from a text message he sent Xavier Omon stating he already misses the team and really loves football. Omon guarantees Bell will stay in shape while he's gone.

:thumbsup:

This what I see as a more exact description of the problem we have here. Where I think the methodology (or whatever phrase you want to use to describe the relationship) has shifted from the old way where the Bills (Ralph) was sitting behind a desk buoyed by the massive amount of capital he had collected in his construction business and applied to this venue because he was brave enough to risk his initial what is now small stake to buy the Bills.

Today, it is a different situation than the one the Bills operated in because with the agreement to the CBA which Ralph and the NFL made in the early 90s, the players rather than mere employees whom the big capital holder looks to see how they are acting, the NFLPA is now Ralph's partner in making more money than any of them ever imagined was possible back in the old days when Ralph plunked down his initial investment.

In fact, with the new CBA where the NFLPA is guaranteed 60.5% of the TOTAL revenue the players are in fact the majority partner.

If Ralph and the Bills wish to prosper and win the sport, they simply need to recognize the new reality and do their part in building the relationship with their partners the players individually and ultimately as a whole to equitably (and even cheerfully to the maximum extent they can).

By the letter of the contract all parties agreed to, the Bills are totally within their rights to enforce and expect Peters meet his agreement.

However, there is a difference here (not a total difference so that these things should be considered opposed to each other) between doing what the Bills have the "right" to do and doing the right thing.

In this case, reality has simply changed in large part due to the virtually unprecedented skills Peters has shown playing the sport. The Bills would in fact set a precedent by renegotiating Peters deal, but the precedent will be that if a player is not judged worthy by the entire league of being drafted but then after he signs at a UDFA base he is good enough to not only shift positions and become a starter, but shift to one of the most difficult to fill positions on a team (LT is not as difficult to fill as QB but it is far more difficult to fill competently than many high contribution positions such as RB).

Even more unprecedented, Peters filled the LT position so well that he was judged by a merged vote of his peers, NFL coaches and fans to be the best LT in the AFC.

Yes, there will be a precedent set in signing him but you would need be a UDFA player who proves good enough to make the Pro Bowl to honestly meet the precedent.

Yet, rather than accurately (IMHO) meeting the role they agreed to play when the Bills as part of the NFL agreed to be part of a CBA which has delivered more wealth to the Bills and Ralph than they ever imagined when Ralph made the original gutsy investment, Ralph and the Bills have instead played the old role that you describe of a guy sitting behind a desk while Peters rants and raves.

It may be fun and confirming of the way it used to be to operate in this mode. It may be good business practice for Ralph as an individual or the team as an entity.

However, it is outmoded and counter to the new reality of the NFL not to recognize that in the new partnership what one has a "right" to do under the CBA may in fact not be the right thing to do in order to put the best team possible on the field not only today but tomorrow as well.

If I am a UDFA who thinks that NFL teams were shortsighted not to draft me and now I am being appealed to by the Bills, the Pats, and the Jets to sign on as a UDFA, I am passing on the Bills and looking hard at the other two teams because when I show what I can do as I think I will, it looks like the Bills are gonna fight me for every dime or even if they have shown a willingness to reward good play with good extensions I am gonna have to fight to make sure that my extension is only for two seasons rather than three or three rather than four because the Bills have shown themselves to be unwilling to share the risk of success and possible failure with their UDFA players who make the Pro Bowl.

Yes I agree with you that the Bills come off as someone sitting behind a desk while an employee rants and raves. However, I think that the Bills showing their commitment to the sport (and actually being better businessmen in the long run) would profit from rather than being the man behind the desk are out there in the foxhole with their comrade in arms players.

Every army needs generals and needs foot soldiers. There is a world where the Bills can play the role of a good general like a Patton who certainly preened with the best of them but there was no question that he was really pushing himself as well to demand things of his soldiers.

The Bills and Ralph come off as more Marie Antoinette saying let them eat cake or Nero fiddling while the Bills fail to make the playoffs because they decide to hang onto outmoded principles of proving they are the boss rather than adopting a new approach which is actually fundamental to the new means of operating seen in the CBA that their is a partnership between the players and the team.

I think Peters and the Bills juvenile behavior in this dispute actually speaks volumes about why the Bills have failed to make the playoffs so far this decade under Ralph's mismanagement of his relationship with Butler, his firing and futile attempt at cost recovery from Phillips and the panicked and ultimately flawed relationship with TD.

I for one had hoped we had returned to the glory days of the 90s where the Bills resurgence coincided with Ralph opening his wallet to Bruce, Jimbo and the Bills. Unfortunately, it appears that Ralph and the Bills without Marv as GM have returned to the past where rather than administering a family (and its disputes as certainly Marv had with Marchibroda) well enough to a pattern which sees both the players and the team acting like juveniles holding their breath until the other side caves.

It has nothing to do with the CBA, it has nothing to do with precedent, it has nothing to do with what the Bills are allowed to do vs. what they should do. It all comes down to one bite-sized factor.

Jason Peters doesn't deserve the money he's asking for.

He can not be called one of the best overall players the entire National Football League has to offer after one standout season. All he needs to do to get the money he's asking for his get in here, work his ass off, and duplicate what he did last season. Show me you're not a one-hit wonder.

Then he can get all the ice and all the bling-bling and all the cashmoney.

That is all.