Gustav Thread

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electricity is out in the area I'm in, so i'm on my laptops battery life and I found an unsecured network from someone else in the neighborhood. :devil: We've gotten some gusts of winds probably around 40-50mph right now.

If you watch the weather channel, Jim Cantore is standing right outside of where my wife works in Houma. There are reports of many trees down already, and electricity is out city wide.

Thanks! My wife is all excited because she got a picture with him. She says right now his reports are coming from a small town called Dulac, just south of Houma, but he'll be doing live reports right across the street from the Sheriffs Office parking lot where my wife works later.

Sweet! Me and my girl did the same thing last weekend when Jim was in Tallahassee for Fay.

People smartened up this time. Jindal just said maybe only 10K people left in NO.

IIRC they went through the streets and told them leave, or you're on your own. No Superdome, no shelter of last resort this time. Sounds like people got the message, which is good to hear.

Cantore? Talk about harbingers of doom. We'll think kind thoughts for your hometown, Joey. Be safe.

Live feed: http://www.wwltv.com/video/?nvid=57429&live=yes

I was thinking the same thing. When Cantore shows up it's time to get out of Dodge.

Hi guys, just checking in. First, everyone I know is ok. Thanks for the well wishes from everyone. I am posting from my brothers place if business because it is the first to have lights. My brothers house still is without power, but they said it'll be a while because tree after tree is lying on electric lines all across town.

As for where I live, it'll be "weeks" before anyone is even allowed back into Terrebonne Parish. I can only go by what my wife and the Sheriffs Office tells me. But apparently Houma is pretty much destroyed. Many buildings are nothing but rubble right now. You can't drive down a street without seeing at least half of the street's houses with significant damage.

As for my house, the good news is that it didn't flood like it did for Rita, the bad news is there's 4 walls standing on a floor, with no roof. All the rain water got inside of the house, so i've pretty much lost everything with insignificant value. I'll be able to see in a couple weeks when I can get back there to see what can be salvaged, but it doesn't look good.

I just wanted to give you all a quick update to let you know that everyone is physically alright, but it's going to be a long hard road for the next year or so.

Joey