Gustav Thread

While most of the focus on Gustav is related to it's powerful winds, I belive the storm will cause more problems by flooding from rainfall. Once it makes landfall it is going to drift around east Texas/west LA for several days producing very heavy rains over the same areas like Floyd did in NC.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than 24 hours until landfall, everything is crazy around here. I'm sensing alot of panic from everyone. You can tell the unknown of what will happen is scaring the hell out of everyone. I talked to my wife and she said Houma looks like a ghost town right now. If you guys want to watch a little hurricane coverage from the Houma television station, follow the link below. If you hear about the Montegut area, that's where I live. They have a camera set up over the Montegut bridge, which is right down the street from my house.

I'll keep you guys posted up until the electricity goes out.....

http://www.kfolkjun.com/htv/WatchNow/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Looks like they are calling for Gustav to stay in the Cat 3 range for now which would be a plus. The longer it sits as a somewhat weaker storm the less surge will pile up. part of the issue with Katrine was it got up to a 5 and stayed that way for awhile so it had time to build upa big surge which hadn't dissipated by the time of landfall.

Right now there seems to be just enough in the way of atmospheric hostility to keep Gustav from getting super organized and really ramping up. It's passing over the last of the super warm water now so if it doesn't get ti ttogether soon it probably won't get much worse. Big plusses all around.

There some is upper level shear that's ripping the tops off the clouds and keeping organization at bay. Go shear, shear is good. More and stronger upper level winds if possible if you're in the praying business.

Good luck to all in it's path and lets hope we dodge the big bullet.

There saying thousands are refusing to take advantage of the opportunity to get out. Transportation, housing centers, food and all. Of course, the media will be bitching when these folks are not rescued within 10 minutes after the storm starting.

If you're there, just get out for a few days. Drive to Atlanta, watch a movie, etc...

There saying thousands are refusing to take advantage of the opportunity to get out. Transportation, housing centers, food and all. Of course, the media will be bitching when these folks are not rescued within 10 minutes after the storm starting.

If you're there, just get out for a few days. Drive to Atlanta, watch a movie, etc...

I agee. But, what would you do if you are living from paycheck to paycheck and can't "push" a little disposable income?

If I was as poor as dirt, I would stay... Nothing to lose except your life. :thumbsup:

And nothing to gain except a super sweet FEMA debit card!

BINGO!

Why not make it work for your improverished situation... Of course I wouldn't do it... But, I can see the angle that some may work.

Where are you going to go... What are you going to do?

You have to understand that history isn't pretty down there... There are still people and relatives that pass on the stories from say 1927... Once evacuated during the 1927 storm/flood... African-Americans COULD NOT leave the camps... Of course because they needed them to work the fields after the waters went down. You don't think this form of "slavery" is fresh on the minds and passed down. Sure, people have to put history behind them... But, these are the telling reasons why people are leary... Why people think that they blew the levees on purpose during Katrina... Etc... Etc...

It is going to take some time and generations to build that trust up.

Can't say I condone people... I can't blame them either. It is what it is.

Looks like they are calling for Gustav to stay in the Cat 3 range for now which would be a plus. The longer it sits as a somewhat weaker storm the less surge will pile up. part of the issue with Katrine was it got up to a 5 and stayed that way for awhile so it had time to build upa big surge which hadn't dissipated by the time of landfall.

Right now there seems to be just enough in the way of atmospheric hostility to keep Gustav from getting super organized and really ramping up. It's passing over the last of the super warm water now so if it doesn't get ti ttogether soon it probably won't get much worse. Big plusses all around.

There some is upper level shear that's ripping the tops off the clouds and keeping organization at bay. Go shear, shear is good. More and stronger upper level winds if possible if you're in the praying business.

Good luck to all in it's path and lets hope we dodge the big bullet.

Problem with this one if it comes in on the projected path, there will be an Easterly wind that could push a pretty good surge right into Lake Borgne and into the canals on the East side of the city. Add to that high tide is around 2pm tomorrow. According to THIS, it's also still the most vunerable part of the system. Hopefully it slides further West.

Just a quick note, Jim Cantori (sp?) from the Weather Channel will be doing live reports from my hometown of Houma tonight and tommorow. Also a tornado has already struck in New Orleans.

Cantore? Talk about harbingers of doom. We'll think kind thoughts for your hometown, Joey. Be safe.

Live feed: http://www.wwltv.com/video/?nvid=57429&live=yes

Cantore? Talk about harbingers of doom. We'll think kind thoughts for your hometown, Joey. Be safe.

Live feed: http://www.wwltv.com/video/?nvid=57429&live=yes

Thanks! My wife is all excited because she got a picture with him. She says right now his reports are coming from a small town called Dulac, just south of Houma, but he'll be doing live reports right across the street from the Sheriffs Office parking lot where my wife works later.