Retirement countries

Acantha

I wouldn't be doing any of this for about 10 years, in the event that I did decide to go that route. I'm just looking around at options right now. I'm deciding between two options:

1. Work until I"m 59: retire with a pension of about $3300 a month (based on current rates), house paid off, with an IRA ready to cash in.

2. Work until I'm 39: retire with a pension of about $1600 a month, save as much as possible between now and then, sell my house, move somewhere out of country and use the saved money/house money to put down on a nice place, live out the rest of my life relaxing.

Pro's and con's with both approaches. I think my focus is on central america due to the similarities to the US (directv so I can still have my football!), and the proximity to the US so I wouldn't be leaving my family so far behind. But I'll definitely look into the places you suggested.

I wish i had the link for you, but I read an article about retirement age and how long a person lives. Basically it said that the earlier a person retires, the longer he lives....

I would go with the 39 yrs old option, if possible...

I wish i had the link for you, but I read an article about retirement age and how long a person lives. Basically it said that the earlier a person retires, the longer he lives....

I would go with the 39 yrs old option, if possible...

id like to retire as early as possible. i think we all would.

however, i think there are many people out there that would disagree with the "earlier retirement = longer life" sentiment. and ive seen it first hand. my grandfather is barely semi-retired at 86. he still goes in and runs his property management company everyday.

he has watched, one by one, each of his friends retire, fall apart, and pass away. there is something to be said for the mind and body having a purpose and a reason to keep going. i personally witnessed 2 of his friends separately retire to florida. they were healthy as could be and kickin when they retired. within a year they started falling apart. within 2, they both were slipping. within 3, they were gone.

This is a couple years old but a good read. Mexico, like most places, has safe zones and places you do not want to be.

link here

There are places in Rochester where you can get your ass shot off on any given night. I believe a lot of the cautions for travelors are just so you are informed. Yes, there are kidnappings in Mexico. There are drive by shootings of innocents HERE!

I have yet to pay a mordida in the U.S. I usually visit Mexico in the Fall, during the day of course. The lines for returning (by foot) back to the U.S. can take as long as 1 1/2 hours. The negatives overwhelm the positives. I wish I could say better but I can't. I won't be going to Mexico for a long time. I do know a lot of very cool people from Mexico, I wish things were better for them. In some ways the situation in Mexico is like inner city Buffalo. There are hard working traditions in both places and very passionate people but also struggling economies and growing crime.

I want to retire in the United States. San Diego is a good place to retire but somewhat expensive. I understand one wanting to consider other places. It is a short life and a big world. Absorb what you can while you are still ticking!

I'm not making any plans or anything, but started looking around for different countries to retire to if I so desired. I'm looking for places with cheap cost of living (something like a very comfortable life for about 1300 - 1500 a month), relatively safe (relative to other countries, not so much the US), and not on the other side of the planet (I've been to Thailand, Philippines, Singapore and know how cheap and fun they can be...but don't want to be that far away).

I've looked at Honduras and was just recommended Costa Rica, so I'll check that out.

Any others? Personal experience in any countries?

Whats the difference between being 1500 miles or 3000 miles away? No way your making a drive home, and the ticket will be expensive regardless.

Whats the difference between being 1500 miles or 3000 miles away? No way your making a drive home, and the ticket will be expensive regardless.

The difference would be between a 3 hour plane ride and an 18 hour one. And it wouldn't be close to as expensive. Quite a big difference actually.

id like to retire as early as possible. i think we all would.

however, i think there are many people out there that would disagree with the "earlier retirement = longer life" sentiment. and ive seen it first hand. my grandfather is barely semi-retired at 86. he still goes in and runs his property management company everyday.

he has watched, one by one, each of his friends retire, fall apart, and pass away. there is something to be said for the mind and body having a purpose and a reason to keep going. i personally witnessed 2 of his friends separately retire to florida. they were healthy as could be and kickin when they retired. within a year they started falling apart. within 2, they both were slipping. within 3, they were gone.

TRUE!!!!!...beware retirement......make sure you have plenty to keep you busy.Your grandfathers story is an important one to tell. When purpose goes then mind and body rapidly follow.

I have yet to pay a mordida in the U.S. I usually visit Mexico in the Fall, during the day of course. The lines for returning (by foot) back to the U.S. can take as long as 1 1/2 hours. The negatives overwhelm the positives. I wish I could say better but I can't. I won't be going to Mexico for a long time. I do know a lot of very cool people from Mexico, I wish things were better for them. In some ways the situation in Mexico is like inner city Buffalo. There are hard working traditions in both places and very passionate people but also struggling economies and growing crime.

I want to retire in the United States. San Diego is a good place to retire but somewhat expensive. I understand one wanting to consider other places. It is a short life and a big world. Absorb what you can while you are still ticking!

Effing a right! Nothing beats the US and other "first world" countires... Except New Jersey.

That sounds like a novel idea, La Modida :thumbsup::worthy: ... With my job, if I worked in Mexico... I would always have cash in my pocket!

"You wanna get through?... Hey, I am a little tight till next payday... Give me 10 bucks so I can hit BK on the way home and feed the family!"

On a further note... That is why even our country has evolved 10 fold since say Prohibition... Even up to 50 years ago in the deep south... My parents on their honeymoon had to pay themselves out of a speed trap driving in GA from BFLO to FLA.

I watched the History Channel special on Prohibition, they say how kidnapping was one of the biggest and most numerous crimes during that time.

And flame away... It is the liberal values that changed this for the better in the US.