HOW WILSON CANNED BUTLER

But the facts are these: Wilson's contract offers weren't competitive. Despite being one of the most accomplished GM's in the league, and a shrewd judge of personnel, Butler's current salary was about $500,000, putting him in the lower third among his NFL peers. Wilson's last offer was in the range of $1 million, or even a little less than that, a figure he said was the average of the eight highest-paid general managers in the league.

With Green Bay's Ron Wolf setting the bar in the league at $2.2 million per year, and Colts GM Bill Polian earning a reported $1.3 million, Butler, 54, was in line for more than $1 million per year. Butler wasn't looking to hold the small-market Bills hostage, but he didn't accept Wilson's contract offers because he didn't believe they were in the ballpark.

Butler contends that he didn't see Wilson's axe coming, and takes exception with the perception that he was planning to draw Wilson into a bidding war for his services.

Great our owner is a tightwad- and a man of principle, he doesn't let concerns of winning interfere with his tightwadness- I admire that- I won't spend any money or much time watching it but I admire it yes indeedee

Look I'm the first one to call out Wilson for being thrifty, but that wasn't the case in this instance. The guy offered an average of the top 8 salaries in the league. That's a pretty strong offer. If Butler's heart were truly in Buffalo he should have given a bit of a home team discount and accepted the offer.

Look I'm the first one to call out Wilson for being thrifty, but that wasn't the case in this instance. The guy offered an average of the top 8 salaries in the league. That's a pretty strong offer. If Butler's heart were truly in Buffalo he should have given a bit of a home team discount and accepted the offer.

Or at least given a counter-offer.