Rock you like a hurricane

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some who was actually did responded to both Katrina and Rita (not to drop names as you have :lol: ), you could not be any wrong... NO had resources of a large american city at its disposal and did next to nothing... waited for a handout from Uncle Sam....

When do you go through with your good friend Hillary? Did you wear kevlar to protect you against the snipers? :worthy:

You don't read my posts do you???? What the heck... Need to to put you on the Wacka ignore list :worthy:

You brought up Hillary :thumbsup: , other than that I just said I worked on the Hill for a while and knew a lot of her staff.

I went through Port Charles in January 06. It was a disaster and the locals were saying they had hardly seen anyone. Mississippi was crawling with disaster folks, so was NO, but East TX was guiet and abandoned. Not much was going on. I don't know what you did and I applaud you for any effort you may have made, but I am telling you East TX was forgotten about :devil: .

Convention suspended monday, day to day after that. Save to say mccain will not see a bounce.

He could. If he is seen doing all the right things during the looming crisis. And not having GW around probably thrills McCain's staff who are trying to distance themselves from him.

I actually feel bad for McCain and the Republican party. It helps them in a few small ways but hurts them in more.

But both sides are now going to be fighting over who can look more Presidential during the mayhem, when neither of them really should be, and I fear it's going to be embarrassing, equally, for Obama and McCain.

That said, the amount of volunteers and the amount of money that both campaigns will surely pour into this trying to look like they care more than the other side will help the victims and states.

Maybe both sides will rise above this and simply do the right thing, even if it is to step away a little, but what are the chances of that?

Convention suspended monday, day to day after that. Save to say mccain will not see a bounce.

Fall asleep on the keyboard?

It's "safe to say".

I think it helps McCain. Shows that the Republicans really do care about the people, not about their image.

I think it helps McCain. Shows that the Republicans really do care about the people, not about their image.

You mean because the only reason they are doing this is because they don't want the image of them celebrating at a convention will look like bad taste? (Granted, I agree with the decision, and it is the right one for them to take. But it isn't about caring, it's about image).

It's "safe to say".

Would you say that the Republicans "must have done good"?

He could. If he is seen doing all the right things during the looming crisis. And not having GW around probably thrills McCain's staff who are trying to distance themselves from him.I actually feel bad for McCain and the Republican party. It helps them in a few small ways but hurts them in more. But both sides are now going to be fighting over who can look more Presidential during the mayhem, when neither of them really should be, and I fear it's going to be embarrassing, equally, for Obama and McCain. That said, the amount of volunteers and the amount of money that both campaigns will surely pour into this trying to look like they care more than the other side will help the victims and states. Maybe both sides will rise above this and simply do the right thing, even if it is to step away a little, but what are the chances of that?
Fairly or unfairly its a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario that will be played out for the gop. They already erred horribly by deciding to head down there. What the hell is he gonna do?

The big problem with Katrina and I will say it again to refresh everyone's memory... The basic warning signs were ignored... This really hits home for me because I am lock and dam operator with the Corps... But, I am a laborer and I am hands on this type of stuff 24/7/365.

I still stress that proper maintenance was being over looked... Be it lack of funds or either funds being channeled to more pet projects. With that:

1. There was seepage reported in residential areas as early as Feburary of the year Katrina hit.

2. What were mowing operations like with myriad of polictical fifedoms down there? One thing I notice when I was in NOLA years ago was the inordinate number of tree and high growth that existed ON THE LEVEES.

3. Even when they removed trees and other large growth... Why did the not just "stump" the area? That is leave the stumps and root system intact? What reports show is that when removal of large growth was being done prior to Katrina, this practice was not properly carried out... Whole root systems were ripped out... IMO obviously greatly endangering the integrity of said levee.

All I can say is that... I hope we learned our lesson the last couple of years? We will surely find out if things resorted to the same maintenace practices down there.

This is one reason why I believe there shouldn't be layers of government... Contractors and what not... That is the root of the problem...

The big problem with Katrina and I will say it again to refresh everyone's memory... The basic warning signs were ignored... This really hits home for me because I am lock and dam operator with the Corps... But, I am a laborer and I am hands on this type of stuff 24/7/365.

I still stress that proper maintenance was being over looked... Be it lack of funds or either funds being channeled to more pet projects. With that:

1. There was seepage reported in residential areas as early as Feburary of the year Katrina hit.

2. What were mowing operations like with myriad of polictical fifedoms down there? One thing I notice when I was in NOLA years ago was the inordinate number of tree and high growth that existed ON THE LEVEES.

3. Even when they removed trees and other large growth... Why did the not just "stump" the area? That is leave the stumps and root system intact? What reports show is that when removal of large growth was being done prior to Katrina, this practice was not properly carried out... Whole root systems were ripped out... IMO obviously greatly endangering the integrity of said levee.

All I can say is that... I hope we learned our lesson the last couple of years? We will surely find out if things resorted to the same maintenace practices down there.

This is one reason why I believe there shouldn't be layers of government... Contractors and what not... That is the root of the problem...

Makes sense to me. But as you said it was NO. NO is, has been infamous for its fiefdoms. Unfortunately, this kinda of politics only gets blown up when a disaster happens.

Fairly or unfairly its a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario that will be played out for the gop. They already erred horribly by deciding to head down there. What the hell is he gonna do?

So no matter what they do, you will ream them?

Makes sense to me. But as you said it was NO. NO is, has been infamous for its fiefdoms. Unfortunately, this kinda of politics only gets blown up when a disaster happens.

See... I can see things revolving around the ecomony and navigation... That is how they directly get their funding Constitutionally... Yet, this route is a disaster down there... The Constitution isn't perfect and is directly creating this mess.

IMO, there is an enviro solution here and it can't legally be resolved with the economy.

And sure enough the McSame "acceptance" speech is/was scheduled for Thursday. What moron allows that to happen? I guess the Repigs will now accuse the NFL of being evildoers for scheduling a season opener with the 2007 World Champions the same night McSame finally tells us how many houses he owns ...

The cable news networks are overdoing the coverage on this storm. I can understand tomorrow, but today its been non stop.

Like I told John Adams friday Gustav would blow the Palin "surprise" right out of the water and it turns out I was right. Such is the nature of our 24/7 news networks.

It does appear however the republican convention may still be salvaged...but without their main star; Arnold.

The hurricane was a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. It gave them an excuse for Bush and Cheney to not appear at the convention, which helps McCain because it's a couple of less obvious reminders that he wants to continue many of their policies, and why the Republican brand is tarnished.

The hurricane was a blessing in disguise for the Republicans. It gave them an excuse for Bush and Cheney to not appear at the convention, which helps McCain because it's a couple of less obvious reminders that he wants to continue many of their policies, and why the Republican brand is tarnished.

Funny thing even the Washington State wingnuts are staying home. THEY in fact have been doing EVERYTHING they can to pretend they're not Republican. You have to read the teeny tiny fine print to determine which party they're from. Now they are calling it the "GOP Party". (sorta redundant)

Again, the arrogance of the Repigs shines through. Although most Americans are slow-tops, they DO know that "Republican" and "GOP" are the same party. IF they don't, that explains a LOT.