Vulture Watch

I've got three from the Eagles and I will rank them by order of interest.

1. DE Jerome McDougle - Jerome was a former first round pick who has absolutely no luck at all. he got hurt as a rookie, got healthy, got hurt again, got healthy then got shot in an attempted carjacking in Miami (he was the victim, not the perp). He's healthy again this year and has been pass rushing like a man possessed. Before Victor Abiramiri got hurt McDougle was the 7th DE on the depth chart. At best he's 5th right now. They may not keep more than 4 and definetly won't keep more than 5. Normally he'd be a lock to make the team with the way he's playing but the Eagles D-Line is crowded and they drafted somebody to replace him, which brings me to...

2. DE Bryan Smith - Smith was a 3rd round pick intended to take McDougle's spot on the roster. McDougle's great performance has made the choice tougher. He's a 3rd round pick and fresh so you'd think he has the edge to make the team but it's hard to say at this point. One of them will be released and should be picked up immediately. In fact, I'd be surprised if either of these guys got past Miami on the waiver wire. It may be worthwhile to call Philly to see if they'd take a 7th rounder for the player so they don't cut him outright. it's possible the the Birds will keep both of these men and release Darren Howard but hat will cause a great deal of dead money for Philly and cut into DT depth since Howard rotates between the two spots.

3. RB/FB Tony Hunt - Hunt was a 3rd round pick last year but didn't play much. The Eagles converted him to FB this year after they were displeased with the FBs on the roster. Problem is he's not really a FB and doesn't block much. Is is very possible the Eagles moved him as a last ditch chance to keep him on the roster, they are also crowded at RB with Westbrook, Lorenzo Booker, Correll Buckhalter and right now Hunt is the 4th RB in the depth chart. The choice will come down to Hunt, Ryan Moats, or either of the two FBs already on the roster. Hunt is undersized at FB and does not return kicks. The traditional fullbacks block more and contribute on ST, Moats returns kicks. It's a tough call and he may stay, but if he stays the other FBs are gone and Reid goes small. If he goes he would do what we wanted Wright to do for us, except hold onto the ball while doing it.

I've watched him and he's been a force, including tonight. He torched the RT, got hogtied, and flushed the QB into the other end who got the sack. Sack totals aren't everything.

Yeah, but he's been playing against backups. Throughout pre-season. He's done nothing so far in his career, can't be PS'd, and whose place at DE would he take? Certainly not Schobel, Kelsay, or Denney, and likely not Ellis either (for the same reason the Eagles won't cut rookie DE/OLB Bryan Smith either), and Sp. Johnson can play DE.

Where do you get that McDougle has played great? He's been facing scrubs in pre-season and has just 2 sacks.

I haven't seen any Eagles preseason games this year so i don't have any opinion either way. I assume Falstaff has seen most of them if not all. What are you basing your opinion on?

I haven't seen any Eagles preseason games this year so i don't have any opinion either way. I assume Falstaff has seen most of them if not all. What are you basing your opinion on?

The past 5 years and the fact that he's been facing backups all throughout pre-season. Defensive ends rarely ever take 5 years to start to "get it." It's certainly within the realm of possibility, but as I said, I wouldn't cut any of the Bills' DE's to make room for him, and he can't be put on the PS.

The past 5 years and the fact that he's been facing backups all throughout pre-season. Defensive ends rarely ever take 5 years to start to "get it." It's certainly within the realm of possibility, but as I said, I wouldn't cut any of the Bills' DE's to make room for him, and he can't be put on the PS.

It's not that he didn't "get it" It's that he had possibly the worst luck of all time.

2003: he injured his ankle, knee and hip in the final pre-season game and missed 8 games

2004: missed one game with irregular heartbeat and 4.5 more with a sprained knee

2005: shot in the abdomen during a robbery a week before training camp, missed the entire season

2006: broke 2 ribs in practice, missed 3 weeks of the regular season, played in a rotation

2007: ruptured triceps tendon during training camp missed entire season.

He's a guy who had enough talent to be a top 15 pick but has been completely star crossed. Mark my words if the Eagles cut him we'll see him in Miami twice this year.

It's not that he didn't "get it" It's that he had possibly the worst luck of all time.

2003: he injured his ankle, knee and hip in the final pre-season game and missed 8 games

2004: missed one game with irregular heartbeat and 4.5 more with a sprained knee

2005: shot in the abdomen during a robbery a week before training camp, missed the entire season

2006: broke 2 ribs in practice, missed 3 weeks of the regular season, played in a rotation

He's a guy who had enough talent to be a top 15 pick but has been completely star crossed. Mark my words if the Eagles cut him we'll see him in Miami twice this year.

Possibly, since they need DE help. But I don't see him as a Parcells type of player.

Possibly, since they need DE help. But I don't see him as a Parcells type of player.

and if he gets past Miami we'll see him in September after Al Davis snags him in Oakland.

Can you quantify what a Bill Parcells player is? I'm aware that he generally prefers biggish DEs but he also takes rangy DEs and makes them pass rushing OLB like LT, DeMarcus Ware, and Willie McGinest. IMO, a Bill Parcells player is a guy who plays hard, shows up for work and keeps his mouth shut. McDougle could have walked away from football at least three times and nobody would have thought less of him but he keeps coming back and working hard. I think Bill would respect that.

I can't imagine any cuts that would be that much better than what Buffalo has already. In fact I think Buffalo will be cutting guys who will be picked up by other teams.

Agreed... i think if Youboty gets cut, someone will pick him up instantly.

1. DE Jerome McDougle - Jerome was a former first round pick who has absolutely no luck at all. he got hurt as a rookie, got healthy, got hurt again, got healthy then got shot in an attempted carjacking in Miami (he was the victim, not the perp). He's healthy again this year and has been pass rushing like a man possessed. Before Victor Abiramiri got hurt McDougle was the 7th DE on the depth chart. At best he's 5th right now. They may not keep more than 4 and definetly won't keep more than 5. Normally he'd be a lock to make the team with the way he's playing but the Eagles D-Line is crowded and they drafted somebody to replace him, which brings me to...

2. DE Bryan Smith - Smith was a 3rd round pick intended to take McDougle's spot on the roster. McDougle's great performance has made the choice tougher. He's a 3rd round pick and fresh so you'd think he has the edge to make the team but it's hard to say at this point. One of them will be released and should be picked up immediately. In fact, I'd be surprised if either of these guys got past Miami on the waiver wire. It may be worthwhile to call Philly to see if they'd take a 7th rounder for the player so they don't cut him outright. it's possible the the Birds will keep both of these men and release Darren Howard but hat will cause a great deal of dead money for Philly and cut into DT depth since Howard rotates between the two spots.

3. RB/FB Tony Hunt - Hunt was a 3rd round pick last year but didn't play much. The Eagles converted him to FB this year after they were displeased with the FBs on the roster. Problem is he's not really a FB and doesn't block much. Is is very possible the Eagles moved him as a last ditch chance to keep him on the roster, they are also crowded at RB with Westbrook, Lorenzo Booker, Correll Buckhalter and right now Hunt is the 4th RB in the depth chart. The choice will come down to Hunt, Ryan Moats, or either of the two FBs already on the roster. Hunt is undersized at RB and does not return kicks. The traditional fullbacks block more and contribute on ST, Moats returns kicks. It's a tough call and he may stay, but if he stays the other FBs are gone and Reid goes small. If he goes he would do what we wanted Wright to do for us, except hold onto the ball while doing it.

Tony Hunt anyone? The guy is at least young and plays both running back and fullback.

Update, Smith had 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks tonight. McDougle had 3 tackles, .5 sack, and at least one good pressure that led to a sack by Dan Klecko. All told McDougle ended up with 2.5 sacks in 4 games and Smith had 1.5 all of which were tonight. Tonight was by far Smith's best game statistically.

He will likely be injured before the 2nd time the Bills play Miami.

Also, while I'm at it, do you have anything to contribute to the thread in terms of players or are you just going to pick at the suggestions of others that you admittedly haven't seen?

Why? Is there some rule that says I have to mention a player from another team to be able to participate in this thread?

Sorry but I don't see McDougle as a guy who will do much in the league.

Why? Is there some rule that says I have to mention a player from another team to be able to participate in this thread?

Sorry but I don't see McDougle as a guy who will do much in the league.

No but the title of the thread does imply that if you know of anyone interesting it would be nice to share for conversation given that it is that time of year. I didn't really intend to be the only person posting players. If I wanted a McDougle thread I would have made a McDougle thread.

It's duly noted that, despite the fact you haven't seen him play, you don't think McDougle will do anything in the league. Got anyone else to discuss or are you spent?