Your First two Cars. What were they?

Steely Dan

Forgot more stuff with the Mustang. In the winter of 78-79 I could get the door open in the morning but it lacked lubrication and would stick open. I had to tie the door shut and drive from Cheektowaga to the UB Amherst campus. Once I had both doors tied shut!

Ah... The Detroit glory years! WTF were they engineering? Can anyone say Cadillac Cimarron...

:sick::sick:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'72 Buick Skylark - Beige 4 door, 11 years old. Got my first full time job on a Friday, needed a car to get to work Monday, and found a divorced woman who was looking to get rid of it for $300. Had some surface rust and needed a new muffler, but otherwise a nice ride.

The Skylark or the divorced woman??? :sick:

1968 Mercury Montcalm 396ci 4 barrel. It was my wonky older cousins car(which was handed down to him by his dad, my uncle) that had been rolled before and in several accidents. There was more bondo in it then metal. He was a wild guy my cousin. Had that for a few years then went to work full time for my father and promptly bought a 1979 Firebird Formula that was a demo. I fell in love with those Firebirds because I liked the one Jim Rockford drove on "The Rockford Files" Plus our tow truck driver at work had one that looked identical so that was kind of the final push for me to get one. As I look at those cars now I think what a pos but whatever. I was young then and was a bit dumber then I am now.

1968 Mercury Montcalm 396ci 4 barrel. It was my wonky older cousins car(which was handed down to him by his dad, my uncle) that had been rolled before and in several accidents. There was more bondo in it then metal. He was a wild guy my cousin. Had that for a few years then went to work full time for my father and promptly bought a 1979 Firebird Formula that was a demo. I fell in love with those Firebirds because I liked the one Jim Rockford drove on "The Rockford Files" Plus our tow truck driver at work had one that looked identical so that was kind of the final push for me to get one. As I look at those cars now I think what a pos but whatever. I was young then and was a bit dumber then I am now.

Rockford! :sick:

A friend had a car he called the Bondo Special.

Wasn't he the fiery French general at the Battle of Quebec?

:sick:

1. 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity cream yellow with a 90 some odd HP 4 banger in a 4 dr sedan. I pegged it past 85 once (the speedo stopped at 85) and I though tte car was going to explode. The car had 2 names. First the Yellow Submarine as an ode to the Beatles. 2nd was the Trash Heap (from Fraggle Rock) or The Heap for short due to the ever present mountain of miscellaneous material in the backseat. That was the best nsow car of all time, it was big and heavy but horribly underpowered, you couldn't spin it if you wanted to. Ia ssure you that thign went off-road several time on the snow covered W River Pkwy on Grand Island and just drove right up the embankment and out. One annoyance was the electricl sustem. It got to be that whenever it was damp outside, rainy whatver, you'd have to spray this crap on the distributor cap and plug wires to dry them out or the car woudn't start. Probably fixable but I was 16 at the time and money to fix cars did not exist. i specifically remember one foray offroad during donut, slliding time where the car conked out. Pop the hood and you see no engine, only packed snow. Waited 5 mins, snow melted, car started, went home.

This, except yellow and with the 4, not the V6

2. 1989 Pontiac Grand Am. I bought this car for 3k with 60k on it in 1998. I subsequently sold it to my sister for 1k in 2002 with 135k. She finally put her down Old Yeller style in 2007 with 197k. 80's GM 4 banger lasted 19 years and nearly 200k on one engine, one tranny and with minimal rust. It finally died when the head gasket blew. The car survived at least one accident when I got rear ended by a Range Rover. replaced rear body work and boot, worked fine. That car sucked and was great at the same time. It had annoying little things about it but it got 33mpg at 80 mph. It had little, or sometimes esoteric, things break but the parts were cheap and easy to replace. The thing was indestructible. The oil pump crapped, when i got it replaced the shop didn't seal up the oil pan correctly so unbeknownst to me I was hemmoraging engine oil all over the PA Tpk during a 5 hour ride the next day. Got home, noticed it was running a little warm (neglibily at that, not as in on red with lights flashing) , l popped the hood and found a no oil left and since I had not stopped for 300 miles had likely not had any for quite awhile. The car ran for nearly 100k more miles after that. FWIW, the 2.5L 4 cyl engine was made in Tonawanda :sick:

This, except maroon

1. 1976 Dodge Coronet Custom, although this picture is of a redneckified version. Mine was puke green with a tan landau top. It had a 318 in it. I called it 'the beast'. Sadly, it got totalled when I got rear-ended waiting to make a left into my bank. While I didn't disclose this at the time, I think my brake lights were malfunctioning at that point. I was hit by a mechanic from a nearby garage who was doing a test drive of a customer's car.

2. 1983 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe. Mine was chocolate brown. A very cool car.

1) 1970 Mustang. Bought it for $600 in 1983. It was a rust bucket and at the end had electrical problems due to the rust. Problems of one sort all the time (rebuilt carb, new gas tank, starter solenoid.....) But alot of great memories....

2) 1977 Maverick. 1985. Had a cool paint job but the rear bumper rusted out. Boy Ford was really concerned about my health.....

It would become the Marquis. Merc had the whole french thing going within the line... LeMoyne, Montcalm... Rideau... Hence my joke about the French Canadian thing... Yet, up in Canada they were called Meteor. :beer:

Too esoteric dude. :beer:

1. 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity cream yellow with a 90 some odd HP 4 banger in a 4 dr sedan. I pegged it past 85 once (the speedo stopped at 85) and I though tte car was going to explode. The car had 2 names. First the Yellow Submarine as an ode to the Beatles. 2nd was the Trash Heap (from Fraggle Rock) or The Heap for short due to the ever present mountain of miscellaneous material in the backseat. That was the best nsow car of all time, it was big and heavy but horribly underpowered, you couldn't spin it if you wanted to. Ia ssure you that thign went off-road several time on the snow covered W River Pkwy on Grand Island and just drove right up the embankment and out. One annoyance was the electricl sustem. It got to be that whenever it was damp outside, rainy whatver, you'd have to spray this crap on the distributor cap and plug wires to dry them out or the car woudn't start. Probably fixable but I was 16 at the time and money to fix cars did not exist. i specifically remember one foray offroad during donut, slliding time where the car conked out. Pop the hood and you see no engine, only packed snow. Waited 5 mins, snow melted, car started, went home.

This, except yellow and with the 4, not the V6

2. 1989 Pontiac Grand Am. I bought this car for 3k with 60k on it in 1998. I subsequently sold it to my sister for 1k in 2002 with 135k. She finally put her down Old Yeller style in 2007 with 197k. 80's GM 4 banger lasted 19 years and nearly 200k on one engine, one tranny and with minimal rust. It finally died when the head gasket blew. The car survived at least one accident when I got rear ended by a Range Rover. replaced rear body work and boot, worked fine. That car sucked and was great at the same time. It had annoying little things about it but it got 33mpg at 80 mph. It had little, or sometimes esoteric, things break but the parts were cheap and easy to replace. The thing was indestructible. The oil pump crapped, when i got it replaced the shop didn't seal up the oil pan correctly so unbeknownst to me I was hemmoraging engine oil all over the PA Tpk during a 5 hour ride the next day. Got home, noticed it was running a little warm (neglibily at that, not as in on red with lights flashing) , l popped the hood and found a no oil left and since I had not stopped for 300 miles had likely not had any for quite awhile. The car ran for nearly 100k more miles after that. FWIW, the 2.5L 4 cyl engine was made in Tonawanda :thumbsup:

This, except maroon

Oh you're the guy who bought one.

1966 Chev Biscayne and a 1969 Chev Impala.

Those were followed by a 1970 Monte Carlo-wish I still had it! a 73 Buick LaSabre-junque, 75 Buick Skyhawk, 78 Buick Regal and an 81 Buick Regal-my last GM car-real crap!

By then I got tired of being on a first name basis with Mr. Goodwrench and switched to Datsun/Nissan.

83 Z, 88 Z, 93 Maxima, 95 Maxima, 02 Pathfinder that I still own.

63 Dodge Dart (?) [remember it had a pushbutton transmission]; 65 Ford Mustang

How did you get my avatar??? :thumbsup:

1st car was a 74 Olds Cutlass hand me down from my girlfriends father. What a POS that was. It was painted yellow with a brush... :beer::beer:

Second car was a Geo Metro because that was all I could afford when I first came in the Marine Corps.

My first car was a tan 1989 Cadillac Deville. Awesome car with a very smooth ride. If it wasn't for the cost of gas, I might of kept that thing just to drive on the weekends.

The current car is a 2006 maroon Saturn Ion. Nice, cheap little car that gets good gas mileage.

And in the early stages of development, the dream car. One of these days....

First car > 1969 Beetle (GREEN) ...I could fit ALL of my college stuff in it...Even the stereo with the monster speakers...Now when I take my dau's to college we have to rent the BIG van from U-Haul...Dwight Eisenhower invaded the Normandy beaches with less stuff than the kids take to college nowadays..< but I digress >

Second car 1976 Firebird....pretty good car until all the rust nuked it...