Computer Help!

The Big Cat

Can somebody put in real-people (NON SARCASTIC) terms why I can't video chat from Mac' iChat to a PC using AIM?

For the PC user the error message is that the connection "timed out."

On my end, it says the person declined the invite, or if I'm invited, it says there's a "communication error."

Can somebody put in real-people (NON SARCASTIC) terms why I can't video chat from Mac' iChat to a PC using AIM?

For the PC user the error message is that the connection "timed out."

On my end, it says the person declined the invite, or if I'm invited, it says there's a "communication error."

Try Skype.

No. At least not to my knowledge. My video chat works with other Mac users and I don't know how to walk her through checking hers since I have always been Vista free.

What about a DSL/Cable router? Any of those in the mix? Can you send her a file via a direct transfer?

I cannot!

Ahh... my guess is that one (or both) of you is behind a little router that isn't allowing direct connections. Video chat is going to be a direct connection... i.e. the AIM service will set it up, but once that' done, it's direct communication between the two of you.

You can either drop the router for the chat session, see if you've got a 'DMZ' setting, or look up the correct ports to forward on the AIM/iChat sites. I'd do it for you, but if I don't get off of TBD and get my daughter moving, shell miss the bus!

Ahh... my guess is that one (or both) of you is behind a little router that isn't allowing direct connections. Video chat is going to be a direct connection... i.e. the AIM service will set it up, but once that' done, it's direct communication between the two of you.

You can either drop the router for the chat session, see if you've got a 'DMZ' setting, or look up the correct ports to forward on the AIM/iChat sites. I'd do it for you, but if I don't get off of TBD and get my daughter moving, shell miss the bus!

You the man, McJeff. I figured these were the "issues" at play, but I have no idea how to rectify them. One of my roommates is pretty techy-we'll get him on it.