WOW- The Audience in Athlens going NUTS!

Disclaimer: Not a gymastics nut, but this was cool:

In gymnastics, two guys went, good rountines, 9.785...

Third guy went, and it was one of the best routines I've ever seen. The three commentators agreed. Said gold medal. Paul Hamm was supposed ot go next.

Anyway, this Russians score comes up: 9.25... The announcers coulnt believe it. Then the crowd went APES#IT. They would not stop booing ans whistling (whistling shows disapproval over there). I have been watching it for 10 mintues, and Hamm still cant go on, because its so damn loud.

So, the head of the judges comes out. And forced the Chinese and Canadian judges to change their scores. Yet, he is STILL in third. The annoucers said this is one of the best routines they had ever seen, and its still far too low. One said it should have been remembered as one of the best EVER.

But, its good to see that he audience can point out judging errors. And get the score changed.

Edit: The Paul Hamm (who was only given the last gold due to judging error) got above a 9.8 on a great, but not THAT great routine!! Crowd nuts again.

Annoucer just said "If I'm Paul Ham, I hope someone beats me, so i don't have to explain another gold medal"

but this is the first i saw the crowd... they actually effected the change of the score.. is that right?

5402[/snapback]

I think that MENS and WOMENS gymnastics was screwed this year from the start

you got people saying HAMM didnt deserve it but the guy they say won fell too

then you have the russian girl saying that the USA bribed the medal away in the womens

everyone hates USA..........but its ok lol

The all-around results were affected by a scoring problem, but if officials correct all the problems they had scoring the Korean gymnast's parallel bar routine (the extra hold-mandatory .2 deduction), he still would have ended in third.

Anyway, this Russians score comes up: 9.25... The announcers coulnt believe it. Then the crowd went APES#IT.  They would not stop booing ans whistling (whistling shows disapproval over there). I have been watching it for 10 mintues, and Hamm still cant go on, because its so damn loud.

Annoucer just said "If I'm Paul Ham, I hope someone beats me, so i don't have to explain another gold medal"

5396[/snapback]

it was 9.75 at first which they then changed to 9.762

made no difference in the end

I think that MENS and WOMENS gymnastics was screwed this year from the start

you got people saying HAMM didnt deserve it but the guy they say won fell too

then you have the russian girl saying that the USA bribed the medal away in the womens

everyone hates USA..........but its ok lol

5406[/snapback]

That Russian chick (Svetlana) is known around the gynastic world as a royal, rampaging B word. And her behavior at the Olympics has been no different. So I say, "Hey Sweatlana... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: "

That Russian chick (Svetlana) is known around the gynastic world as a royal, rampaging B word.  And her behavior at the Olympics has been no different.  So I say, "Hey Sweatlana... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: "

5444[/snapback]

I agree....but I also want to change it to...

"Hey Russian whiners... :fyou:"

I agree....but I also want to change it to...

"Hey Russian whiners... "

I agree with you on Svetlana. She's whacko. But not a true spokesperson of the Russian gymnastics team.

But the Russian guy from last night was awesome, a real athlete and a gentlemen. They even asked him to go up onto the mat and try to help quiet the crowd down so that Hamm could start his routine.

And to the poster who talked about the crowd knowing more about the scoring than the judges. Sometimes they actually can. Think about who's in the audience -other gymnasts and their families, and people who've followed this sport for years. Maybe they should be posting the "starting" score, so everyone knows what's going on.

We often see the same errors and confusion in Olympic skating.

It's amazing that the crowd could see the difference in the routines yet the "judges" couldn't.

Maybe the Olympics will adopt an American Idol voting format :w00t:

5417[/snapback]

Indeed. From years of watching DCI and DCA competitions, I know full well that winning the "general effect" caption (read: overall presentation + crowd reaction) will NOT necessarily equal finishing with the highest score. Empire Statesmen had great, crowd-pleasing shows for years, but never won a DCA championship unti they dropped the showmanship down a notch and worked to improve their technical presentation....

Disclaimer: Not a gymastics nut, but this was cool:

In gymnastics, two guys went, good rountines, 9.785...

Third guy went, and it was one of the best routines I've ever seen. The three commentators agreed. Said gold medal. Paul Hamm was supposed ot go next.

Anyway, this Russians score comes up: 9.25... The announcers coulnt believe it. Then the crowd went APES#IT.  They would not stop booing ans whistling (whistling shows disapproval over there). I have been watching it for 10 mintues, and Hamm still cant go on, because its so damn loud.

So, the head of the judges comes out. And forced the Chinese and Canadian judges to change their scores. Yet, he is STILL in third. The annoucers said this is one of the best routines they had ever seen, and its still far too low.  One said it should have been remembered as one of the best EVER.

But, its good to see that he audience can point out judging errors.  And get the score changed.

Edit: The Paul Hamm (who was only given the last gold due to judging error) got above a 9.8 on a great, but not THAT great routine!! Crowd nuts again.

5396[/snapback]

BREAKING NEWS...The Berlin Wall no longer exists in Germany..East/West Germany to come together... :w00t:

Princess Diana has chrashed...she does not look to make it :w00t:

5591[/snapback]

alright cockbreath, that's enough. I had heard something about him winning a silver, but didnt see this thing with the crowd reaction till last night.

anyway, are you going to the game on Halloween? Ill be home for that one. I know your brother has seasons, but didnt you say you wernt getting them this year?

alright cockbreath, that's enough. I had heard something about him winning a silver, but didnt see this thing with the crowd reaction till last night.

anyway, are you going to the game on Halloween? Ill be home for that one. I know your brother has seasons, but didnt you say you wernt getting them this year?

5596[/snapback]

yes I have tix, we may have an extra in our section if interested...I am out for the Miami trip though...

I agree with you on Svetlana. She's whacko. But not a true spokesperson of the Russian gymnastics team.

But the Russian guy from last night was awesome, a real athlete and a gentlemen. They even asked him to go up onto the mat and try to help quiet the crowd down so that Hamm could start his routine.

And to the poster who talked about the crowd knowing more about the scoring than the judges.  Sometimes they actually can. Think about who's in the audience -other gymnasts and their families, and people who've followed this sport for years.  Maybe they should be posting the "starting" score, so everyone knows what's going on.

We often see the same errors and confusion in Olympic skating.

5547[/snapback]

They do post the start value after the routine is done. If you knew anything about gymnastics, these folks have alternatives built in based on how the routine is flowing. If it is going well they do the whole thing. If a break something else they they make take something out.

I didn't see the routine, but an example would be on floor:

Planned to do a round back handsping, double back tuck. Well this has one value. Now if the gymnast has to pull up and only does a single tuck this goes from a class "C" move to only a class "A" move.

These gymnasts have to have so many E series, D series, C series, B series and A series as well as other mandatory strength or dance moves that aren't "judged". If a gymnast balks in a series but completes it, they get 3/10th off for a break in routine. You may not notice the break but if it doesn't flow, then the judges can take that. Also, they can rate it a B or C series because of the balk, based on how it is completed.

A good example of this is Dominic Dawes, she used to always do routines with start value of 9.5 or 9.6, so not real difficult. But she used to nailed them and wind up with 9.3 or 9.4. People used to complain, but her routines weren't hard. Other gymnasts would do routines with 10 or 9.9 starts, make a mistake, but still score a 9.5. People complained, but thats how the system works.

Archived