OT: Cable modem question

RVJ

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have cable, and have a wireless router set up to two PCs (a desktop and a laptop), and I have the xbox "wired" to the router for online play.

Here's my set up: The router dummies the IP to the wireless PCs which offers a degree of protection from the outside world. Also, both PCs have current anti-virus software and firewall software installed. Lastly, wireless routers have WEP, or wireless encryption protocol, that uses a passphrase/password to keep unauthorized people from connecting to it - ie, wireless PCs can "see" that my network is there, but they cannot connect without the proper passphrase/password.

Using the above setup, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with security.

I have cable, and have a wireless router set up to two PCs (a desktop and a laptop), and I have the xbox "wired" to the router for online play.

Here's my set up:  The router dummies the IP to the wireless PCs which offers a degree of protection from the outside world.  Also, both PCs have current anti-virus software and firewall software installed.  Lastly, wireless routers have WEP, or wireless encryption protocol, that uses a passphrase/password to keep unauthorized people from connecting to it - ie, wireless PCs can "see" that my network is there, but they cannot connect without the proper passphrase/password.

Using the above setup, I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with security.

78386[/snapback]

Two things; WEP stands for "Wired Equivalent Privacy" (don't ask, I know it's dumb).

Second, do you change your WEP key? If not, it's relatively easy to break after awhile (ie: neighbors snooping in). Using AirSnort, you can generally break WEP anywhere between a day or a few weeks. Need to change your WEP keys at least monthly to keep it secure IMHO.

(no seizure for me yet; getting close though ;) ).

BTW, I have the 8-port Linksys router as well; I wired my house while it was being built so I have multiple ethernet jacks in every room. I can therefore connect a computer or two in multiple rooms. I have my xbox, laptop (winxp), two desktops (winxp) and my webserver (OpenBSD, most secure consumer OS on the planet) connected all the time. It'll increase once I finish my basement as well.

Oh, and this really belongs in the consumer forums so that when people have similar quesitons in the future, it's easy to find...

CW

Two things; WEP stands for "Wired Equivalent Privacy" (don't ask, I know it's dumb).

Second, do you change your WEP key?  If not, it's relatively easy to break after awhile (ie: neighbors snooping in).  Using AirSnort, you can generally break WEP anywhere between a day or a few weeks.  Need to change your WEP keys at least monthly to keep it secure IMHO.

(no seizure for me yet; getting close though :) ).

BTW, I have the 8-port Linksys router as well; I wired my house while it was being built so I have multiple ethernet jacks in every room.  I can therefore connect a computer or two in multiple rooms.  I have my xbox, laptop (winxp), two desktops (winxp) and my webserver (OpenBSD, most secure consumer OS on the planet) connected all the time.  It'll increase once I finish my basement as well.

Oh, and this really belongs in the consumer forums so that when people have similar quesitons in the future, it's easy to find...

CW

78541[/snapback]

Fez, go outside and get some fresh air buddy. ;)

Second, do you change your WEP key?  If not, it's relatively easy to break after awhile (ie: neighbors snooping in).  Using AirSnort, you can generally break WEP anywhere between a day or a few weeks.  Need to change your WEP keys at least monthly to keep it secure IMHO.

(no seizure for me yet; getting close though ;) ).

CW

78541[/snapback]

I'll just keep calling it WEP!

I change my passphrase every two weeks, I read an article on my flight to Vegas in March that said it needed 3 weeks to crack the code, and judging by your post, I'm OK with changing it every two weeks. But worst case scenario, the only thing an intruder could do would be to use bandwidth, correct? I do have file sharing turned off, the desktop serves as a print server and (very) occasional browsing.

BTW: I'm glad you're not convulsing

Fez - Right now I'm not using WEP but I am using firewall software (zone alarm).

I assume i should enable WEP?

I have a linksys router and wireless card. Do I enable WEP through windows or my linksys software?

I'm actually pretty computer literate, just not security....

Fez - Right now I'm not using WEP but I am using firewall software (zone alarm).

I assume i should  enable WEP?

I have a linksys router and wireless card. Do I enable WEP through windows or my linksys software?

78670[/snapback]

Since he hasn't responded yet, I will. YES!!!! Do it today!!!

Open your browser and enter the router's IP address (it's in your manual) in the address bar. That will put you into your router's firmware (software) where you'll be able to enable WEP via a check box, and enter a passphrase, or "key." Then you'll get disconnected from the router, as your PC won't have the key the router is looking for, so then open your wireless network connections, and configure the same key (and encryption levels; 64 or 128 bit) that you set up while in your router. After you accept the changes, the PC will connect with the router, and you're good to go!

It's not difficult, but if you get turned around, ask for help.

I assume i should  enable WEP?

78670[/snapback]

The firewall protects you from the Internet. However, it doesn't protect you from your neighbors. Anyone who is near your house can jump onto your home network, so yes, enable WEP.

This is done through the router -- generally you connect to the router, enter a passphrase, and it gives you a hex value back. You then enter that hex value into your PCs that are wireless. The exact steps should be in your router manual.

Campy: Worst case is MUCH worse than "just stealing your bandwidth." For example, there'd be nothing to stop someone from installing KaZaa, downloading some music (under your name), and then watch as the RIAA sends YOU a lawsuit. Have fun proving that you didn't do it. (this hasn't happened yet, but I believe that it's only a matter of time). Overall, changing it every two weeks is probably sufficient though. Nice work!

CW

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question.

If I go for the wired router...I have to run 35 feet of what ? (coaxial or USB wire)

to connect the other pc to my cable modem. Is there any web sites with a diagram.

Thanks !

I have one more question.

If I go for the wired router...I have to run 35 feet of what ? (coaxial or USB wire)

to connect the other pc to my cable modem. Is there any web sites with a diagram.

Thanks !

97316[/snapback]

Category 5 or Category 6 Unshielded Twisted Pair

these sites may help (from a quick google search)

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/networking

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/faq/index.asp

http://www.cable-modem.net/gc/networking.html

First, reading the original post and all these replies, yes you can have as many computers as you want hooked into one cable modem.

Now, you mentioned splitting your signal. You cannot split the cable from the wall like you would for a tv. One cabe from the wall to one cablemodem for one billing price. You can hook a router from the cable modem to the computers through wires or wireless. WEP is good, but WPA is better. Fez, i don't know what wpa stands for, but i have a passkey. You can also use a radius port. Basically, between wep and wpa and wpa-psk, its just a passcode to get into your router, like "new england clam chowder" from ace ventura.

I've got a D-Link wireless g router, the DI-624 ver. c2. If you have the wireless portion secured both from the router and from the wireless computer, you should have no problem. As fez mentioned, its easy to break into wireless networks that are left unsecure. Just last night, my wife's computer crapped out momentarily. In checking with the wireless software on the computer, i was able to connect to my neighbor's wireless connection and view their computers! I could have moved the printer drivers to my computer and printed to her computer "GOTTCHA!". Thus, its VERY IMPORTANT to have your wireless router secure, zone alarm or not.

Linksys, Dlink, Belkin, are all good brands. I use broadbandreports.com in the forums section to get ideas. Go there. However, product reviews seem to be all negative and bitchy. Take it with a grain of salt. These people could find something wrong with a bar of gold.

For a novice, with some PRE PRINTED directions (you won't have internet while you're in the process of all of this), you're looking at an hour worht of hardware install (running wires, installing PCI/PCMCIA cards, etc.) and an hour worth of tweaking the drivers and firmware for the devices. If you need help, PM me and we can get together via e-mail or whatever messaging service and i can run you through the setup, or what to buy.

Oh yeah, if you run to the store, just remember to pick up at least 2 cat-5 cables of at least 6' in length... trust me on that one.

WEP is good, but WPA is better.  Fez, i don't know what wpa stands for, but i have a passkey.

Wi-fi Protected Access. I didn't realize that it was out in the wild yet, I thought it was still just an RFC. Guess I'm falling behind.

Oh yeah, if you run to the store, just remember to pick up at least 2 cat-5 cables of at least 6' in length...  trust me on that one.

Please don't go to the store to buy cat-5 cable. They'll charge you a fortune for it, and it's nothing more than phone wire with an RJ45 plug on the end (instead of a normal RJ11).

Check out eBay for cat5 cables -- generally pretty cheap (although watch the shipping! Some people charge $1 for the cable and $10 shipping. Ridiculous and against eBay policy as well, since they don't get money on shipping charges).

Here's one that ends in 15 minutes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5728916972&rd=1

$4 shipping, so $6 for a 25' cable. Shipping is only $2.49 on the second one. This cable would cost $25-$40 if you bought it at Best Buy. :devil:

Just do a search for cat5.

CW

Please don't go to the store to buy cat-5 cable.  They'll charge you a fortune for it, and it's nothing more than phone wire with an RJ45 plug on the end (instead of a normal RJ11). 

Check out eBay for cat5 cables -- generally pretty cheap

97416[/snapback]

or you can try asking your IT guys for cat5 cable. if you work in a big enough office they'll have a spool or 2 on hand and prolly won't mind making a couple for you if you ask nicely

or you can try asking your IT guys for cat5 cable.  if you work in a big enough office they'll have a spool or 2 on hand and prolly won't mind making a couple for you if you ask nicely

97464[/snapback]

Good idea! Which reminds me, I still have a cable tester from our Network guys (I'm a UNIX/Oracle guy, so we work closely with 'em). The thing costs $120 retail. OUCH!

CW

So if I get that cat5 cable I run that from my modem to the router.

So do I get an adapter to connect the two cables to the one slot on the modem.

97540[/snapback]

your cable modem should have 2 connectors

one is your coax cable (like on the back of your tv/vcr). plug your cable line into this

the other is your ethernet/lan/cat5/utp (got different names for same thing). this looks like an oversized phone jack. plug one end of the cat5 cable into this and the other end into the UpLink port on your router (may also be called WAN)

your computers all need to have a network card (NIC). these have the same port thats on the router and your modem (the one that looks like a fat phone jack). plug the cat5 from the computer into the router.

devnull is right. The cat 5 goes from your modem to your router. You should only need enough coax to run from the wall to wherever you have your cablemodem situated.

Also, by the way, i didn't mean going expensive with the cat5... It was just a reminder that the cable that comes packaged with the modem and router is like 2 feet long and is pretty much worthless unless the equipment is stacked on top of your computer (which is not good for heat distribution... Add your own paragraph on the positives of airflow and the negatives of dead air/hot spots here)

ok

This post belongs in the consumer forum.

And yes - Wireless networking - my professional opinion is "Just say no!"

You'll need a router regardless (you can't have two cable modems).  All routers use NAT, which is in effect a firewall (sorta).

CW

78233[/snapback]

Ok Fez, does NAT protect you or not. In other words, if your behind a NAT router, is that all the protection you need?