One reason why I support John McCain.

:):(

Somehow I don't see Obama or Biden saying this...

Funny clip mike, sadly the reason he gave on why he'd think he'd be fit to serve seems very fallacious to me. So, his mom is living in her 90's, but his dad died at 70. It would make sense for him to claim good genes if his dad was still alive. Also, the experiences he went through in Vietnam probably have taken considerable number of years of life away from him. What worries me most about him, is that he is having band-aids here and there while he is campaigning, which may be indicative of his declining.

Funny clip mike, sadly the reason he gave on why he'd think he'd be fit to serve seems very fallacious to me. So, his mom is living in her 90's, but his dad died at 70. It would make sense for him to claim good genes if his dad was still alive. Also, the experiences he went through in Vietnam probably have taken considerable number of years of life away from him. What worries me most about him, is that he is having band-aids here and there while he is campaigning, which may be indicative of his declining.

On my dad's side, his mom died five years ago at 95. His dad died at 63 from years of smoking and heavy drinking. I never knew my grandfather, because he died of lung cancer four years before I was born. When I was a kid, I swore I would never smoke cigarettes since I'm convinced they killed my grandfather.

Dad is now 72, same age as McCain. He's still working 45 hours a week, but will retire at the end of the year. He is still very active, however. Earlier this week he and I put in a new ceiling fan at my condo, because we're getting ready to put it up for sale.

Sure, he could drop dead, as my dad's had health problems. His blood pressure went sky high in 2001, and he suffers from congestive heart failure, and he's still overweight. But he quit smoking 40 years ago and quit drinking six years before that.

Somehow, I think he winds up closer to Grandma's age.

The only reason why I state this is because of your argument. I think Dad got Grandma's genes.

Pray tell, what would have been a better answer? How would you have answered in his place?

I think it was pretty good thinking-on-his feet. That in itself helps answer the question, and shows (I suspect) why Obama is afraid to meet with him in town hall settings.

Pray tell, what would have been a better answer? How would you have answered in his place?

I think it was pretty good thinking-on-his feet. That in itself helps answer the question, and shows (I suspect) why Obama is afraid to meet with him in town hall settings.

you do realize that the 3rd debate between them two is a town hall style debate?

maybe done a better job of actually answering the question, he goes off with music, campaigning, genes, etc. which only indirectly get at why he might be fit.

I would have said something like "it's a valid concern, but I'm very healthy for my age, my doctors confirm this with good reports (something that substantiates health, not just lots of hours), and there's always a risk of a catastrophic health problem for men much younger than me (something relating to men like Tim Russert who die in their 50s)".

Ridiculing the kid that asked the question is messed up, but not surprised people on this board think that's a great thing.

you do realize that the 3rd debate between them two is a town hall style debate?

He couldn't get out of them entirely. Don't forget he had originally agreed in principal to a series, which his campaign then got whittled down to two in minimal-exposure timeslots... (the 4th of July and the height of the Olympics, if I recall correctly)

maybe done a better job of actually answering the question, he goes off with music, campaigning, genes, etc. which only indirectly get at why he might be fit.

I would have said something like "it's a valid concern, but I'm very healthy for my age, my doctors confirm this with good reports (something that substantiates health, not just lots of hours), and there's always a risk of a catastrophic health problem for men much younger than me (something relating to men like Tim Russert who die in their 50s)".

Ridiculing the kid that asked the question is messed up, but not surprised people on this board think that's a great thing.

How did he ridicule the 'kid'? He injected some humor in his response. Get a grip...

How did he ridicule the 'kid'? He injected some humor in his response. Get a grip...

Yes humorous, but McCain's example of humor is making fun of someone else, not being self-effacing. He is crotchety old fart and this does not bode well for his international leadership skills. I am not sure Obama is the answer but McCain is definitely not. For all his bluster about pork, McCain hasn't seen a subsidy for the oil cartel he hasn't liked, hypocrite.

Yes humorous, but McCain's example of humor is making fun of someone else, not being self-effacing. He is crotchety old fart and this does not bode well for his international leadership skills. I am not sure Obama is the answer but McCain is definitely not. For all his bluster about pork, McCain hasn't seen a subsidy for the oil cartel he hasn't liked, hypocrite.

humor would be "you're too young to ask questions like that"

calling him a "little jerk" was unnecessary, but opinions are like aholes, everyone's got 1

Uhh, people, JMac answered the student's question seriously and then made a tongue-in-cheek jab. It's called 'dry humor.' Most people have the mental capacity to grasp it. Maybe his delivery wasn't perfect (and it would've helped if he went over to the kid and tousseled his hair or something) but this isn't Last Comic Standing. Everyone in the room got it.

Quite unlike when I was in the store the other day.... My cart was at the start of an aisle and I was about 5 feet away getting an item. This woman comes in with her cart and hesitates even tho there's ample room. I took a quick step and moved the cart and said a polite "Excuse me." She says, "There's no excuse for you" and there was about a five-second pause where I was like... Oooooo-kay. And then she says, "That was a joke." :wallbash: Uhhm, no, in every usage, that's a put-down, not a light-hearted joke. It's amazing these days the number of people who are too slow-witted or dull for humor.

JMac over the years has shown a great sense of humor, especially self-effacing. It's one of his biggest assets in being able to reach people. That said, I can't say I've ever seen Obama really laugh, even when he was on that SNL intro he was very stiff.