Princeton Review's release of Student Data

BillsWatch

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8082002147.html

Officials for the 165,700-student system received a copy of the files yesterday to check the extent of the breach. They said they planned to contact parents whose children might have had information on the unprotected site. After a preliminary analysis, it appeared that fewer than 300 students were affected, said Paul Regnier, a Fairfax schools spokesman.

This e-mail message was sent to school board:

My daughter's info (mailing address, school, age, scores, etc) was one of them released by Princeton Review. I got a hard-to-hear recording from FCPS about this so I can not even call the number listed. We have been getting a lot of junk mail addressed to my daughter so someone has gotten hold of her information. I do not want her taking any more standardized tests from that company. County should look at canceling contract with Princeton Review.

What is my recourse in this? I wondered why we started getting a lot of junk mail addressed to school from student "help" companies since my daughter has not signed up for any of the SAT/school stuff yet. When semester starts I am telling school my daughter is not taking any test by Princeton and they need to provide an alternate company no matter what contract they have.

I posted this on Washington Post in response to article:

My daughter was one of those students and we got a vague, hard-to-hear recording from Fairfax County. Now she gets a lot of junk mail from Student "Help" companies. The company ought to be suspended from business from Fairfax County.

What is my recourse in this? I wondered why we started getting a lot of junk mail addressed to school from student "help" companies since my daughter has not signed up for any of the SAT/school stuff yet.

was there any real damage caused, or are you just made that you are getting junk mail?

I get junk mail too, I throw it out.

VA has standardized tests including English (meaning knowing difference between "mad" and "made") which students have to take. Yes they are sending SAT stuff but she has neither taken SAT or pre-SAT test. And yes I think it is serious when they release information on minors without even a permission form signed giving permission.