US Mens Water Polo!

The Big Cat

Going into the games ranked 9th, they'll be capping off their improbable run at the gold late Saturday night (3:30 am ET)!

They'll be facing international powerhouse Hungary (that's right) and are looking to make the upset of the century!

LAMP: Part of the reason they've been so successful has been Merril Moses, their goalie, and a guy I coached with at a summer camp in 04!

USA! USA! USA!

Set the TIVO....

What is the size of this upset IF it were to occur ?

Hungary is gunning to be the first team since England in 1920 to win back to back to back gold medals.

I'd say it's a men's Large-Tall cut

And like I said, we came in ranked 9th, already upset the 1 seed.

I think you are way off base in giving the players and coaches this credit. the true credit goes to those horses that have been so good at holding thier breath under water....that is the true accomplisment here........

.......WHAT???????? :w00t:

Going into the games ranked 9th, they'll be capping off their improbable run at the gold late Saturday night (3:30 am ET)!

They'll be facing international powerhouse Hungary (that's right) and are looking to make the upset of the century!

LAMP: Part of the reason they've been so successful has been Merril Moses, their goalie, and a guy I coached with at a summer camp in 04!

USA! USA! USA!

US Mens Water Polo!

(Yawn)

I think you are way off base in giving the players and coaches this credit. the true credit goes to those horses that have been so good at holding thier breath under water....that is the true accomplisment here........

.......WHAT???????? :w00t:

:thumbsup:

USA! USA! USA!

Hey Cat, did yu play water polo???? Where did you play and when?I played at Slippery Rock in the early 80"s, when we actually had a good team, at least on the east coast. Went to NCAAs two years in row. Got our arses whipped out in CA both years, but great experience anyway. Our first game in the one trny was agaisn't Cal, and we had the best sprinter on the east coast, never lost a swimoff to start a period, but he couldn't come close to winning agaisnt this guy from Cal. Come to find out it was Matt Biondi, World Record holder in the 50 at that point, he was swimming agaisn't LOL. Lets just say we didn't exactely scout the west coast teams back then, never really expected we could win a game agaisn't them anyway.

My coach back was Dick Hunkler, legend in womens water polo, coached the womens natioanl team for quite a few years.

Hey Cat, did yu play water polo???? Where did you play and when?I played at Slippery Rock in the early 80"s, when we actually had a good team, at least on the east coast. Went to NCAAs two years in row. Got our arses whipped out in CA both years, but great experience anyway. Our first game in the one trny was agaisn't Cal, and we had the best sprinter on the east coast, never lost a swimoff to start a period, but he couldn't come close to winning agaisnt this guy from Cal. Come to find out it was Matt Biondi, World Record holder in the 50 at that point, he was swimming agaisn't LOL. Lets just say we didn't exactely scout the west coast teams back then, never really expected we could win a game agaisn't them anyway.

My coach back was Dick Hunkler, legend in womens water polo, coached the womens natioanl team for quite a few years.

Hell yeah! I played at Bucknell twenty years later! Ever have any run-ins with Scott Schulte? He used to come back with NYAC to scrimmage in our pool, and those old balls you to play drunk or not having yet been to bed from being drunk the night before. Nevertheless they always whipped our aces!

We used to beat pretty bad on the Rock, though. :w00t:

But you're a fan of The Wire! Hell yeah x 2!

Set the TIVO....

What is the size of this upset IF it were to occur ?

US Men last won gold in 1904

US is on their third coach in four years, and like Big Cat said, were on their way to falling out of the world's top-10

Hungary has won 8 of the 24 water polo gold medals in the Olympics, by far the most (including gold in Sydney '00 and Athens '04)

Water polo is Hungary's national sport and they are the undisputed best team in the world

So yes...This win would be big time...

US Men last won gold in 1904

US is on their third coach in four years, and like Big Cat said, were on their way to falling out of the world's top-10

Hungary has won 8 of the 24 water polo gold medals in the Olympics, by far the most (including gold in Sydney '00 and Athens '04)

Water polo is Hungary's national sport and they are the undisputed best team in the world

So yes...This win would be big time...

:w00t:

The Pistol Pete of water polo is this Hungarian dude named Tomas Fargo. He has this video we used to have to watch at camp of all these crazy ball drills he does. Practically laughable some of the stuff this guy could do in water.

Hell yeah! I played at Bucknell twenty years later! Ever have any run-ins with Scott Schulte? He used to come back with NYAC to scrimmage in our pool, and those old balls you to play drunk or not having yet been to bed from being drunk the night before. Nevertheless they always whipped our aces!

We used to beat pretty bad on the Rock, though. :)

But you're a fan of The Wire! Hell yeah x 2!

Schulte was a true victim of a west coast bias. Boy shoulda been on the national team back in my day, but cause he was from the east coast, the west coasters wouldn't let him on the team. Played agaisn't Scott and the crew from NYAC often. What are they doing now as I heard NYAC shut down?

Shame what happened to Rock polo once Hunk left. Can't blame it on Dirt(Jim Yeamons), but something happened to that prgram about 10 years ago, now its a shame they shut down both swimming and Polo.Man, we used to have some good games with Bucknell back then. Easterns always came down to the Rock, Bucknell, Navy and Brown. Now, you tell me who doesn't belong in that group LOL!!!

I wil say this though, the crew from Bucknell was the only crew that could hang with us when it came to partying, especially in the spring trnys. Dam, their breath was as bad as ours some games, get drunk just playing agisnt em.

Schulte was a true victim of a west coast bias. Boy shoulda been on the national team back in my day, but cause he was from the east coast, the west coasters wouldn't let him on the team. Played agaisn't Scott and the crew from NYAC often. What are they doing now as I heard NYAC shut down?

Shame what happened to Rock polo once Hunk left. Can't blame it on Dirt(Jim Yeamons), but something happened to that prgram about 10 years ago, now its a shame they shut down both swimming and Polo.Man, we used to have some good games with Bucknell back then. Easterns always came down to the Rock, Bucknell, Navy and Brown. Now, you tell me who doesn't belong in that group LOL!!!

I wil say this though, the crew from Bucknell was the only crew that could hang with us when it came to partying, especially in the spring trnys. Dam, their breath was as bad as ours some games, get drunk just playing agisnt em.

Schulte's career stats at Bucknell are downright GAUDY.

I hadn't heard about NYAC being shut down OR about Rock losing its aquatic programs. These must have happened very recently?

I've heard stories about back in the day when folks in the stands used to bring kegs into the natatorium for games, and the breath factor was PRECISELY what I was referring to when talking about the dudes from NYAC.

I must say, the makeup of the Easterns tournament has changed significantly. Navy and Princeton are always in the mix plus St. Francis and Queens College- both of which are a collection of 30 something eastern Euros that would just as soon break your face.

Schulte's career stats at Bucknell are downright GAUDY.

I hadn't heard about NYAC being shut down OR about Rock losing its aquatic programs. These must have happened very recently?

I've heard stories about back in the day when folks in the stands used to bring kegs into the natatorium for games, and the breath factor was PRECISELY what I was referring to when talking about the dudes from NYAC.

I must say, the makeup of the Easterns tournament has changed significantly. Navy and Princeton are always in the mix plus St. Francis and Queens College- both of which are a collection of 30 something eastern Euros that would just as soon break your face.

Just finished watching the game. US played dam hard, good for them to win the silver. That Azevedo dude was awesome

BTW, NYAC still open, my bad, was thinking of the Downtown Athletic Club.

And, the Rock shut down mens swimming and polo about two years ago. Only redeeming thing about that is I now hold a record that prolly can't be beat, as I have the school record in the 1650!!!!