the problem with faith and religion

SAM HARRIS

Never said that. I said in March the next 18 months are going to be the craziest sh-- this generation has ever seen. I do believe from a scientific point of view that we have no more than 30-50 years left here in current form before at the very least a wipeout of 80%+ of the population.

I believe 100% in God and trust in Jesus, but my eyes and mind tell me more than anything we don't have long left. Human nature is self-serving. The "easier" we have it, the less we need to cooperate, the less sympathy there is etc. The compounding of technology that has taken place along with human nature lead me to believe a simple mistake can cause the end just as easily as some religious event. However, I do believe God wins in the end or else this is just a pure waste. If it is a waste, then failing to exist after death isn't scary...it just is. You won't know if you were right or wrong.

I am amazed at the lack of urgency from most people considering the times we live in. I can't time the end, but if by opening day 2009 there haven't been multiple events that drop your jaw and make you consider what life and/or God is all about, then I'll show up at the TBD tailgate with 5 cases of beer and you can all throw batteries at me. There will be a series of events so serious that will feed off of each other....not a day or an entire war where we lose 3,000 Americans....but stuff is going to go down. The US economy, the war against Islam, the war for oil (different than Islam), microbiology, homeland security, political corruption. I think the US has eaten some bad sushi and we are about to have it come from all ends but soon. The world isn't playing a Milton Bradley game right now.

I think when this stuff happens, everyone will have a last chance to turn to God. Who does?...I don't know. I just know what has happened in my life and the statistical odds of certain things happening at certain times being so crazy that there is no other explanation but God. If you follow the Bible, the thing to look out for that should happen soon to trigger the return of Jesus and the chain of events leading up to that is the destruction of Damascus. If you see that happen, it's go time.

I don't claim to be a prophet. I just digest data and try to come to logical conclusions. The bible is like a treasure map of prophecy. I don't mind so much if people laugh now, but at least remember the a-hole on the Bills board when stuff goes down.

Now calling the Sabres a bunch of flamers that wouldn't get the job done, fall apart, and that the front office is a bunch of con-men and pansies that look down at the Rubes of Buffalo and are only in it for the money or job security...I'll take credit for that one.

I was raised Catholic and i believe in God, even though i am a scientist. I have seen things beyond my explanation that easily make me believe in God and heaven/afterlife. I do have a serious problem with organized religion however. Theres no possible to have a "right" and a "wrong" religion. Whatever you believe is your own personal system, which is probably different than mine. But neither is right and neither is wrong. It boils down to whatever you believe, is.

The Bible is a nice book with lots of good life lessons that can be taken from it. However to take it literally is simply laughable. The Bible was written by men, and is far from infallible and is not free from corruptibility. Hell, to pick what books were in the Bible was like a damn infomercial. "For 5 easy payments of $99.95, you too can be an Official gospel writer for the bible. Too much for you, well for 3 easy payments of $49.95, we'll give you your own book within the bible! It wont be quite as important as the gospels, but you will be included."

As for the "end times," i went over this on PPP. Whats happening now is no different than the previous 3-4 dozen times in the past 2000 years that people thought the world was coming to an end. Its pure selfishness to think that the world is actually going to end now. Every time in the past, scholars have been "sure" that the end times are upon us, yet here we still are. This time is no different. Theres a reason why predictions for the "end times" are so vague, its because specifics can be proven wrong. Vagueness allows people to interpret things as they wish, thus making all times seem like the "end times."

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood statements such as "Praise be to God" or "Allah Akbar". Egocentrism and hubris are human flaws- why do we project them on God, someone who is supposed to be perfect. God created all and should be secure with themselves. He is no megalomaniac that constantly needs to be praised

I never understood statements such as "Praise be to God" or "Allah Akbar". Egocentrism and hubris are human flaws- why do we project them on God, someone who is supposed to be perfect. God created all and should be secure with themselves. He is no megalomaniac that constantly needs to be praised

The Bible says that God is a jealous God therefore giving him one of our flaws but then again if jealousy is a flaw then how can God have it? Again I do have faith in God but it is conundrums like this that make me question everything I am preached either by the devout OR

by science.

The Bible says that God is a jealous God therefore giving him one of our flaws but then again if jealousy is a flaw then how can God have it? Again I do have faith in God but it is conundrums like this that make me question everything I am preached either by the devout OR

by science.

I would love to read that passage. Jealousy is a deadly sin. God is not perfect then. And if I do not get jealous- how can I have a positive characteristic trait that God does not? That is most definitely a conundrum. I too have some faith, but I always ask tough questions. By asking tough questions, if you still believe, then there is more conviction then if you just accepted everything at face value

I would love to read that passage. Jealousy is a deadly sin. God is not perfect then. And if I do not get jealous- how can I have a positive characteristic trait that God does not? That is most definitely a conundrum. I too have some faith, but I always ask tough questions. By asking tough questions, if you still believe, then there is more conviction then if you just accepted everything at face value

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the

LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Deuteronomy 6:15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among

you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against

thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

Exodus 20:4-6 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,

or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that

is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the

earth: {5} Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve

them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the

iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and

fourth generation of them that hate me; {6} And showing mercy

unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

very interesting. If I recall right, there is also a passage in the new Testament where Jesus flips over a table in anger and says "this is my fathers place, not a den of sin" (or something to that effect). I always wondered about that event too. Christ getting pissed and losing his temper? Gandhi would never flip a table over in anger, how could Christ?

Have you ever read this?

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have

learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with

as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual

lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly

states it to be an abomination. End of debate. (After all, all things in the

bible should be taken and followed as the literal law)

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific

laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing

odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They

claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus

21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is

in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is,

how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and

female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations.

A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not

Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2

clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill

him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I

don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a

defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my

vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair

around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden

by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me

unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments

made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).

He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that

we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone

them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private

family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?

(Lev. 20:14)

very interesting. If I recall right, there is also a passage in the new Testament where Jesus flips over a table in anger and says "this is my fathers place, not a den of sin" (or something to that effect). I always wondered about that event too. Christ getting pissed and losing his temper? Gandhi would never flip a table over in anger, how could Christ?

If you really want to get the wheels turning think about how jealousy is the opposite of love and God declares himself as love(God is Love) and how he also declares himself jealous. So either he is both Love and Jealous(we can go into a whole discussion about that if your up for it) or the bible has a flaw.

Have you ever read this?

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have

learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with

as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual

lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly

states it to be an abomination. End of debate. (After all, all things in the

bible should be taken and followed as the literal law)

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific

laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing

odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They

claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus

21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is

in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is,

how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and

female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations.

A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not

Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2

clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill

him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I

don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a

defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my

vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair

around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden

by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me

unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two

different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments

made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).

He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that

we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone

them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private

family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?

(Lev. 20:14)

A lot of those have to do with Gods laws which were amended in Jesus' death. No, though I have never read those.

If you really want to get the wheels turning think about how jealousy is the opposite of love and God declares himself as love(God is Love) and how he also declares himself jealous. So either he is both Love and Jealous(we can go into a whole discussion about that if your up for it) or the bible has a flaw.

I think most people consider indifference as the opposite of love... (or hate for that matter)

Most do but the bible doesn't "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud"

:rolleyes:

That is quite a leap of logic there. Love isn't a paper clip either, but that doesn't mean it is the opposite.

quoting the bible to support that jesus is god or there is a christian god is like quoting something is true about sherlock holmes... ITS FICTIONAL PEOPLE, U CANT LIVE IN A FISH OR HAVE TALKING DONKEYS WHICH ARE IN THE BIBLE!

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

:w00t:

That is quite a leap of logic there. Love isn't a paper clip either, but that doesn't mean it is the opposite.

Right but in the context it is being stated in it becomes opposite. It states "Love is Patient" which is true "love is kind" also true, then it states "Love is not jealous" And in the context of this sentence it is being stated love is not achieved with "jealousy". If love cannot be achieved with jealousy then they contradict each other and love is faulted. While it may not be the exact opposite as in black and white they are the opposite like brown and white are.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

"My wallet's the one that says bad mother!@#$er on it"

:w00t::thumbsup::bag:

great author! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPdQ-VRjA0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RMH4VBH4VE...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8dv7OUKjeE...feature=related

listen for a while, and put in your two cents on how good or bad religion is in the 21st century and how it conflicts with science.

I see you have seen fit to modify your initial post, turning from your initial braggadocio, and palpable desire for getting personally petted. Your so-called revelations have been discussed for centuries. Your cult need to read history. If you would like to read something about Man's doubt of God, read the Book of Job and the Psalms of David.

Your group is SO last Millinium. :nana:

Oh - keep away from the instant drink aisle when you shop, and watch out for Comets... :lol: