Some rants

Adam

The talk of McCain being too old. I have a suspicion that he will be alive more than four years from now. Anyways, if he is elected, there are provisions for such a tragedy if he is not. The vice president will take over. Just as long as the VP isn't George Bush or Jimmy Carter, I think we'll be OK.

The talk of Obama being the antichrist. Can people get any dumber? The people saying this should have any degree they have taken away. There are very few people in history to get this tag- Hitler, Ghengis Khan. Come on- Even if Obama was as bad as Bush, he wouldn't come close.

Drill Here! Drill Now!!!! Yep, and watch the oil we find go overseas. I am fine with drilling, but anything we find should stay here. And should be processed- no more 85% capacity for refineries if we drill here and now.

I am Adam and I approve this message

The talk of McCain being too old. I have a suspicion that he will be alive more than four years from now. Anyways, if he is elected, there are provisions for such a tragedy if he is not. The vice president will take over. Just as long as the VP isn't George Bush or Jimmy Carter, I think we'll be OK.

The talk of Obama being the antichrist. Can people get any dumber? The people saying this should have any degree they have taken away. There are very few people in history to get this tag- Hitler, Ghengis Khan. Come on- Even if Obama was as bad as Bush, he wouldn't come close.

Drill Here! Drill Now!!!! Yep, and watch the oil we find go overseas. I am fine with drilling, but anything we find should stay here. And should be processed- no more 85% capacity for refineries if we drill here and now.

B-)

I don't know how practical that idea is but if it's possible I'd be much more in favor of offshore drilling.

Calling either of them the antichrist is ridiculous hyperbole. Even calling Genghis Khan the antichrist is ridiculous hyperbole.

Realistically, you can't run a refinery at 100% capacity...you need unused capacity in reserve to react to normal fluctuations in demand, planned and unplanned maintenance, or unseen events (e.g. a natural disaster). 85% capacity might be a little low (I'd guess that 90-95% capacity would be a sustainable usage in the long-term)...but I really don't know, maybe having 15% capacity down for planned maintenance is not only normal but unavoidable.

Realistically, you can't run a refinery at 100% capacity...you need unused capacity in reserve to react to normal fluctuations in demand, planned and unplanned maintenance, or unseen events (e.g. a natural disaster). 85% capacity might be a little low (I'd guess that 90-95% capacity would be a sustainable usage in the long-term)...but I really don't know, maybe having 15% capacity down for planned maintenance is not only normal but unavoidable.

I can agree with that- but there should be times when they can go 5-10% over where they are now. I am sure a lot of things would be overlooked if it was ever at 100%, even for a short time

I can agree with that- but there should be times when they can go 5-10% over where they are now. I am sure a lot of things would be overlooked if it was ever at 100%, even for a short time

And I'm sure there are those times...I'm also sure that there's times when doing so would be either impossible (e.g. when they have to switch gasoline blends over to ethanol, which is maintenance- ntensive), or unwise (e.g. hurricane season, when excess capacity mitigates the risk of weather-related distribution and manufacturing disruption).

Running at 100% capacity, though...that's a pipe dream. It's not even economically wise - having no spare capacity exposes pricing to extreme market risk (not unlike how 4% unemployment is considered economically healthy - anything less, and it becomes too difficult to hire and wages start to inflate drastically). And then as a practical matter...refineries don't exist in a vacuum. Manufacture and transport of raw materials to refineries, and storage and transport of final product out (which may be considered part of "refinery capacity", as far as I know) all have an impact. From a straight-up, back-of-the-envelope systems theory point of view, it should be extremely difficult to run the nation's refineries above 95%, and impossible to exceed 98% for more than a day.