Bush agrees to Iraq pullout timetable

Will McCain be the last man standing against a timetable?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/a...-security-deal/

BAGHDAD (AP) U.S. and Iraqi negotiators have finished a draft agreement that would see American troops removed from Iraqi cities by June 30, an Iraqi official said Wednesday. But the draft has not been approved by the Cabinet and some members have expressed opposition. The official, who was involved in the protracted negotiations, said the agreement calls for U.S. troops to fully leave the country by the end of 2011. Although Iraqi negotiators have signed off on the draft, another official close to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said the country's political leadership objected to parts of the text, including the immunity provision.

President Bush had long refused to accept any timetable for bringing U.S. troops home. Last month, however, he and al-Maliki agreed to set a "general time horizon" for ending the U.S. mission. Bush's shift to a timeline was seen as a move to speed agreement on the security pact.

Very bad news for Obama indeed, but not all that unexpected.

I had a conversation a bit ago with a friend of mine that Obama really needs to make the economic issue his issue. Lo and behold, I did a couple Google searches about Obama and the Economy, and that seems like his new gameplan.

I'll be interested to see if it works - it appears to be the best way to gain the swing vote which is breaking in 3rds at the moment, and will decide the election.

He couldn't have. He's on vacation in Crawford. How could he do his job as president, and be on vacation at the same time? :rolleyes:

Oh, the story's from the Washington Times. So it's crap.

Did you even read the article? If you actually did read this article and from it drew the conclusion that Bush is burning the candle at both ends while at his Crawford ranch then your reading comprehension is in need of a tune up.

President Bush had long refused to accept any timetable for bringing U.S. troops home. Last month, however, he and al-Maliki agreed to set a "general time horizon" for ending the U.S. mission. Bush's shift to a timeline was seen as a move to speed agreement on the security pact.

Subtle point - had the Bush administration publically committed itself to a timetable ala Obama, the negotiations over immunity would be dead in the water right now. It's Negotiation 101.

He couldn't have. He's on vacation in Crawford. How could he do his job as president, and be on vacation at the same time? :wallbash:

Bush being on vacation this week is pretty bad. Especially when you consider how bad things got last month when he called in sick and was later seen at a Washington Nationals baseball game later in the afternoon that same day! And it's a little fishy that President Bush always has a "dentist appointment" the day the new Madden comes out.

:rolleyes:

I think the timetable agreement works in Obama's favor. Just as he can say he was right about the war from the start, he can also say he was ahead of Bush and McCain on the need to agree on a timetable, as he was ahead of them on more direct negotiations with Iran. Plus if it's one less foreign policy issue at the top of the discussions, it turns more emphasis on the economy, where McCain is clearly committed to continuing the failed Bush economic and tax policies.